Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Electrics and electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 16 September 2020, 13:47   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
NMEA Garmin Echomap 50s to Suzuki DF50

This NMEA stuff leaves me very confused lol.
I have a new-to-me 2006 Suzuki DF50 and I'd like to connect it to my Garmin Echomap 50s.

The Garmin is powered by a NMEA cable so do I just need an engine cable and connect it directly to that? Does it have to be for that year? I haven't seen anything for sale and am wary of making a mistake tbh.

I did read the guide here:
https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...networks/page4

Does anyone have for sale what I need or can give the part numbers? Is this the right thing? :
http://www.palynch.co.uk/partnumber....d=&pnid=490032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
350 is the firmware revision. The Suzuki cables are very year specific & can be flaky if not matched with the correct year engine. The latest cables, the 290 & 350 versions can’t be downgraded to previous versions.
More info here
Suzuki & NMEA 2000
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81205
Is this confirmed practically? Somewhere else I read that contrary to what is stated it can be done.
Old 16 September 2020, 19:51   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Sorry dont know anything re suzuki but think the main players ussally all offer similar ,so would say with my Honda 100 i just bought a cable from honda for £50 ish and literally just plugged it into a basic backbone from garmin ,and into garmin 750 and it all " just worked " ,was absolutely gobsmacked as not that savvy with these things ussually , think when i checked yamaha pricing they needed some ssort of gateway
Old 16 September 2020, 20:10   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
This NMEA stuff leaves me very confused lol.
I have a new-to-me 2006 Suzuki DF50 and I'd like to connect it to my Garmin Echomap 50s.

The Garmin is powered by a NMEA cable so do I just need an engine cable and connect it directly to that? Does it have to be for that year? I haven't seen anything for sale and am wary of making a mistake tbh.

I did read the guide here:
https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...networks/page4

Does anyone have for sale what I need or can give the part numbers? Is this the right thing? :
http://www.palynch.co.uk/partnumber....d=&pnid=490032

Is this confirmed practically? .

From personal & expensive experience, yes.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 12:03   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
You will need a Loweance EP adaptor with correct plug on the end to fit the engine. This is assuming your engine has an ECU and not carburettor. The Lowrance software needs to be matched to engine year as not all firmware updates are compatible with all years. Overall it’s not straightforward but is possible.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 15:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
You will need a Loweance EP adaptor with correct plug on the end to fit the engine. This is assuming your engine has an ECU and not carburettor. The Lowrance software needs to be matched to engine year as not all firmware updates are compatible with all years. Overall it’s not straightforward but is possible.
Thanks Erin,
I've purchased a brand new Suzuki interface cable made by Lowrance, part number 120-55 and a NMEA 2K starter kit and hope this will work. Mine's a pre-2008 engine so I don't believe I need Suzuki's K8 adaptor, I think the Lowrance cable is an EP-20 although I've not seen that on the packaging or in the manual. It just says 'Suzuki Engine Interface Cable'.
Old 10 November 2020, 16:02   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:

The Garmin is powered by a NMEA cable so ....
I'm not convinced this will be the case.

I thought the same when I read up on the process but I phoned the Garmin help desk to ask about another topic and they advised that I should use the 'direct' power connection rather than relying on the network power.

You still have to provide power to the network.

Is the chart plotter NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2K? I know you've bought a NMEA 2K starter kit but I didn't know whether the Garmin is 2K or not.

It's not the end of the world if you are trying to mix and match as you can get converters but they are quite expensive.

Doing it for the first time is a bit mind blowing as there seems to be so many variables but once you start, it is quite straightforward and the 2K network is (hopefully) just plug and play.

If it is 0183, it's a bit more taxing but if you remember you have a talker (transmit) and that connects up to a listener (receive), it might help to clear some of the fog.

Draw it out on a big bit of paper, take a picture and post on here so we can advise / laugh.
Old 10 November 2020, 16:23   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I'm not convinced this will be the case.

I thought the same when I read up on the process but I phoned the Garmin help desk to ask about another topic and they advised that I should use the 'direct' power connection rather than relying on the network power.

Is the chart plotter NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2K? I know you've bought a NMEA 2K starter kit but I didn't know whether the Garmin is 2K or not.

It's not the end of the world if you are trying to mix and match as you can get converters but they are quite expensive.

Doing it for the first time is a bit mind blowing as there seems to be so many variables but once you start, it is quite straightforward and the 2K network is (hopefully) just plug and play.

If it is 0183, it's a bit more taxing but if you remember you have a talker (transmit) and that connects up to a listener (receive), it might help to clear some of the fog.

Draw it out on a big bit of paper, take a picture and post on here so we can advise / laugh.

I think the OP is confusing powering the unit & powering the NMEA 2000 network. The unit is powered via the multi core power/NMEA0183 cable. This cable carries the 12V to power up the unit AND the NMEA0183 data.
The NMEA 2000 connection (on the unit) does not power either the unit or the NMEA2000 network, it’s just a data connection.
Info & diagrams here

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPS-...INST_EN-US.pdf
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 10 November 2020, 16:54   #8

RIBase
Being slightly sad I did look at the installation instructions for the Garmin hence my question about the NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2K as it wasn't entirely clear but a second read does suggest it has a NMEA 2K socket so you should be good to go.

As PD says, the red and black wires of the devices power / data cable still need to be connected to power.
Old 10 November 2020, 17:06   #9

Quote:

On the back of the unit there's only one red NMEA connection but it's labelled '0183'. From the settings menu it is possible to configure it to the protocol in use, in this case 2K. In the picture you can see the fused cable which supplies the power to the NMEA connector, it's the only way to power it up.

I'm happy to provide some laughs, will be some tears if it doesn't work out lol. Much appreciate knowledge sharing here, you guys have gone through the pain ahead of me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Echomap50s.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	135588  
Old 10 November 2020, 18:02   #10

RIBase
It doesn't have a N2K connection and I don't know what the "protocol in use" bit means.

I'm assuming that you would like engine data to appear on your chartplotter screen. It's not something I know anything about but I'd be dubious whether the signals out of the engine would translate to something meaningful on the Garmin without having some intervening bit of software / hardware in the system.

When I did my set up, which didn't include any engine data, I have a NMEA 0183 only radio (Icom M400BB) which I wanted on the N2K network. To convert from NMEA 0183 to N2K I used an Actisense NGW-1. I think you would have to do something similar if you want your plotter on the network but I'm not convinced plugging the engine into the network would necessarily give you what you want.

Is the engine data output NMEA 0183 as well? Assuming that your chartplotter can be configured to display engine data, you might find it is easier to do the whole network in 0183.

It's not something I have that good a grasp of but hopefully someone will be along in a minute to point you in the right direction.
Old 10 November 2020, 20:23   #11

RIBase
Quote:
It doesn't have a N2K connection and I don't know what the "protocol in use" bit means.

I'm assuming that you would like engine data to appear on your chartplotter screen. It's not something I know anything about but I'd be dubious whether the signals out of the engine would translate to something meaningful on the Garmin without having some intervening bit of software / hardware in the system.

When I did my set up, which didn't include any engine data, I have a NMEA 0183 only radio (Icom M400BB) which I wanted on the N2K network. To convert from NMEA 0183 to N2K I used an Actisense NGW-1. I think you would have to do something similar if you want your plotter on the network but I'm not convinced plugging the engine into the network would necessarily give you what you want.

Is the engine data output NMEA 0183 as well? Assuming that your chartplotter can be configured to display engine data, you might find it is easier to do the whole network in 0183.

It's not something I have that good a grasp of but hopefully someone will be along in a minute to point you in the right direction.

I’m confused too. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think that unit is NMEA2000 capable. The instructions imply that it is, but they refer to “compatible models”, I don’t think the OPs is.
Old 16 November 2020, 19:48   #12

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I’m pretty sure nmea0183 doesn’t support engine data.

If that Garmin unit doesn’t have a dedicated N2K port on the back then it will not connect to an N2K system. N2K is never shared on any multi pin connectors with other services. Part of the approval is that it has a dedicated connection.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2020, 20:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I’m pretty sure nmea0183 doesn’t support engine data.

If that Garmin unit doesn’t have a dedicated N2K port on the back then it will not connect to an N2K system. N2K is never shared on any multi pin connectors with other services. Part of the approval is that it has a dedicated connection.
It doesn't have a N2K port although the owners manual suggests it can accept engine data from that source. I purchased an Actisense NGW-1 cheaply in the Cactus black friday sale so I think I'm able to get it working.

I have a question concerning the 0183 tx/rx connections though. I must be stupid. Do I connect TX from the Garmin to the RX of the Actisense and vice versa, or do I connect both TX wires together and both RX wires?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NMEA2KtoNMEA0183.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	135635  
Old 16 November 2020, 20:56   #14

RIBase
Quote:
It doesn't have a N2K port although the owners manual suggests it can accept engine data from that source. I purchased an Actisense NGW-1 cheaply in the Cactus black friday sale so I think I'm able to get it working.

I have a question concerning the 0183 tx/rx connections though. I must be stupid. Do I connect TX from the Garmin to the RX of the Actisense and vice versa, or do I connect both TX wires together and both RX wires?

Normally it’s +tx to +rx, I.e talker to listener. -ves are commoned. Assuming you get it to work, does your unit have the graphics to display the info? Is there an option to display an engine data page(s)?
Old 16 November 2020, 21:23   #15

RIBase
In the photo you posted, it shows the engine cable coming out of the end of the backbone. There should be a terminator on each end. All the equipment on your network and the power should be attached to drop cables that go on to the bottom of the T's.

You'll need another T so you'll end up with three drop cables for your chartplotter, your engine and the network power.

It will be interesting to see if it works.
Old 16 November 2020, 21:31   #16

RIBase
There are a couple of RIB's on B&O with N2K already installed if that helps.

Slightly less lighthearted:

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?fa...u5069YjSyF9Nu5

Tags
suzuki