Old 18 February 2024, 04:35   #21

Town: Tampa, Florida
Boat name: Zodiac CFR340
Length: 3m +
Engine: Trolling motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Great to see the pictures Andi. You should be really pleased with what you've achieved.
Much appreciated, you guys have been really supportive!
Old 18 February 2024, 21:39   #22

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiD View Post
Funny you should ask. Short funny story.
So I'm fishing with light spinning gear - medium light rod and 12lb braid. It would probably handle a 20lb fish. Not long after we left the boat ramp, I was still a bit stressed as I was getting used to the feel of the boat, and checking to make sure everything was ok. But we were in the shallows so I wasn't too concerned.
My wife went back to steer and I started fishing in the front. 5 min in, I hooked into something giant. I knew instantly that it was way above what my rod/reel/ line setup can take. It started taking line like I had hooked a truck. I was hoping it would break off quickly and I would save as much line as possible. But, to my absolute horror, it started pulling the boat so fast towards the horizon and deep water that I imagined us being rescued somewhere in Africa. It absolutely didn't make sense how it was able to pull the boat at 4-5 mph. Mind you, this lasted like 30 seconds, but it felt like 15 min. Until I realized that my wife was all gung ho about it, yelling "get him, get him!" and that she had set the motor on max speed to chase the fish. Jesus!! As soon as she gave in to me cowardly begging her to stop the damn thing or put it in reverse, the fish broke the line in a second. So, yeah, I already chased Moby Dick on my first outing! Pretty sure it was a shark, stingrays are heavy but don't take off like this.
Other than that, a couple of nice speckled trout
Excellent way to break in your new boat! Bring some heavier gear next time.

Yeah, surely gotta be a shark in that part of the world. I only had the luxury of fishing there once but we had 4 nurse sharks in a short space of time and the sheer power of them was mind-blowing. You're spoiled with access to some great fishing species over there.
Old 19 February 2024, 03:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Excellent way to break in your new boat! Bring some heavier gear next time.

Yeah, surely gotta be a shark in that part of the world. I only had the luxury of fishing there once but we had 4 nurse sharks in a short space of time and the sheer power of them was mind-blowing. You're spoiled with access to some great fishing species over there.
Indeed I am... But it took me quite a while to get used to it. I am originally from Romania, and met my American wife there 16 years ago. So basically I moved overnight from 12in trout fishing in the Carpathian mountains to sharks and giant alligators and swamps. Didn't feel safe for a few years, for sure...
Old 24 April 2024, 03:05   #24

Hello again, we are 2 months in after the repair and the floor is solid. No edge starting to peel. I have had around 10 outings and they all were great (except for the upward V in the floor from the keel pushing on it, on which I created another thread). So far HH66 is doing well. Fingers crossed.
Nevertheless, I decided to take this boat to a friendlier environment - Georgia mountains, where I spend the summers. Less UV, and much less heat. Hopefully I'll get to restore a hypalon boat before next winter in FL.
Quick question - I have noticed when cleaning the Zodiac with 303 that there are some minor chips on the bottom of the tubes. Like short scratches, not too obvious, but enough to feel them with your fingernail. Looks like from small rocks. No leaks. Looks like the surface of the material. Should I add some liquid PVC or very small patches preventatively, or am I overthinking it?
Old 24 April 2024, 07:15   #25

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Don't think they will cause a problem but I'd be tempted to use Stormsure/Aquaseal

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/suffs-on-sib-90749.html
Old 24 April 2024, 12:15   #26

Quote:
Hello again, we are 2 months in after the repair and the floor is solid. No edge starting to peel. I have had around 10 outings and they all were great (except for the upward V in the floor from the keel pushing on it, on which I created another thread). So far HH66 is doing well. Fingers crossed.
Nevertheless, I decided to take this boat to a friendlier environment - Georgia mountains, where I spend the summers. Less UV, and much less heat. Hopefully I'll get to restore a hypalon boat before next winter in FL.
Quick question - I have noticed when cleaning the Zodiac with 303 that there are some minor chips on the bottom of the tubes. Like short scratches, not too obvious, but enough to feel them with your fingernail. Looks like from small rocks. No leaks. Looks like the surface of the material. Should I add some liquid PVC or very small patches preventatively, or am I overthinking it?
I wouldn't bother unless you can see the canvas fibres from inside the fabric. It's likely just cosmetic.
Old 24 April 2024, 14:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Don't think they will cause a problem but I'd be tempted to use Stormsure/Aquaseal

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/suffs-on-sib-90749.html
Just what I had in mind Thank you!
Old 24 April 2024, 14:22   #28

Quote:
I wouldn't bother unless you can see the canvas fibres from inside the fabric. It's likely just cosmetic.
I don't think t goes that deep, but to alleviate paranoia and give myself a project, Aquaseal seems like a good way to go. Thanks!
Old 25 April 2024, 19:19   #29

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
I don't think t goes that deep, but to alleviate paranoia and give myself a project, Aquaseal seems like a good way to go. Thanks!
Mix it with Cotol240 up to 50% and it will soak into the threads completely sealing them, and lay down flat so no bumps. Won't take much to seal things up. Work fast once mixed.
Old 25 April 2024, 19:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Mix it with Cotol240 up to 50% and it will soak into the threads completely sealing them, and lay down flat so no bumps. Won't take much to seal things up. Work fast once mixed.
I bought the accelerator already, thanks!
Old 26 April 2024, 07:58   #31

Quote:
Can't do any harm, though one downside might be if it comes to selling the boat in the future, a potential buyer might fear there's a more substantial repair going on underneath. If you don't plan on selling it then that may be a non-issue.
Old 26 April 2024, 14:37   #32

Quote:
Can't do any harm, though one downside might be if it comes to selling the boat in the future, a potential buyer might fear there's a more substantial repair going on underneath. If you don't plan on selling it then that may be a non-issue.
Good point and it crossed my mind - I doubt it will be sold again It's an old lady

Tags
zodiac