Old 21 April 2022, 22:42   #1

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Aluminium rib transom wheels

Hi All

Can anyone tell me what the maximum size of aluminium rib can be realistically be launched / recovered solo with transom wheels?

I know a few of the guys on here are now using these ribs and am guessing a 3.8m or smaller would be ok but anything bigger would not be manageable. Is this the case?

I've currently got a 4.8m rib and am thinking of downsizing. There's a few reasons for the downsize. One being that the 4.8 takes up my whole garage but mainly I'm finding that It's not getting much use due to lack of slipways in my local area. I can beach launch but it can be a pita with the heavier rib whereas my previous sib was a doddle. I'm time poor and cannot be going back to a sib having to pack away every time hence thinking of a smaller rib.

Thanks, Steve
Old 22 April 2022, 17:59   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Steve, why not a smaller sib on a trailer? 3.6 - 3.9., use it trailered during the summer, pack away during the winter. I trailer my SD360 whist away on holiday because I also find it a PITA to inflate/deflate every day but I still launch it on transom wheels. Its a great compromise, and probably cheaper than a smaller rib.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f49/carava...ler-86495.html
Old 22 April 2022, 19:22   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yes as Steve says... and that brings us to... still got the Aerotec?
Old 22 April 2022, 21:10   #4

Ha, no David Aerotec is long gone.

As much as I loved the Aerotec for performance I hated the regular cleaning of the air floor! I always seemed to have loads of sand in there from launching/retrieving.

Also am I right in thinking the aluminium ribs would give quite a bit better performance but are still light enough to solo launch with transom wheels.
I would like to do more overnight camping trips and loved the fact you could drag the sib up the beach above high tide mark and relax without worrying about the rib on anchor overnight.

Appreciate your thoughts though gents. Steve
Old 23 April 2022, 09:18   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
You will have noticed The Gurnard has gone to an alloy RIB, a 4.2 Quicksilver I think. Of course he trails his but will have lots of experience to offer of it both on the water and handling at the water's edge when landing.

I see the 3.8 version is just over 90kg so a little more than an alloy floored Honwave T40 SIB which I've always thought a heavy lump to handle at the launch site if solo.

The Highfield 3.8 is 10kg less at 83kg so getting better. The ultimate alloy rib for easy handling is probably smaller than you want to go... the Highfield 340 ultralight at 53kg which is getting manageable at only 10kg over an Aerotec.

I often cast an eye over these small alloy RIBs... if we lived adj the water or wanted to trail a boat I think it's what we'd have.
Old 23 April 2022, 11:09   #6

The 3.8m Quicksilver was a one that interested me but yeah looking at the specs it’s weighing in at 92kg for a bare boat.
Old 23 April 2022, 12:13   #7

Think I’ll pm the guys who I know have these craft to see if I can get more info.
Old 23 April 2022, 12:13   #8

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
The 420 Alloy Quicksilver with decent launch wheels and a 2022 Yam 25 counterbalance is JUST manageable, its 120 ish kgs bare boat, you wouldn’t want to wheel it far. Its quite a lift I would say if i measured the lift needed it would be around 35-38 kgs.

The 380 Quicksilver Alloy is actually a much more manageable craft and would likely feel like lifting 20kgs so much lighter and both i use Wheel barrow wheel size. Trem design.

Ive had both and taken them out in some nasty weather and both did really well in 35 knot winds and build quality is brilliant with the handy bow locker seat and with a new yam both topped out at 28 knots with an 11 pitch.

You could look at the 360 3 D tender alloy range which is 50 KGs so significantly lighter and will take up to a 25.

Pretty sure all the alloy ribs are made in the same place.but marginal different designs.

Zodiac/Quicksilver/Highfield/3D Tender.. the latter having the most variants and accessories and haven’t had a price rise yet.
Old 23 April 2022, 14:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
The 420 Alloy Quicksilver with decent launch wheels and a 2022 Yam 25 counterbalance is JUST manageable, its 120 ish kgs bare boat, you wouldn’t want to wheel it far. Its quite a lift I would say if i measured the lift needed it would be around 35-38 kgs.

The 380 Quicksilver Alloy is actually a much more manageable craft and would likely feel like lifting 20kgs so much lighter and both i use Wheel barrow wheel size. Trem design.

Ive had both and taken them out in some nasty weather and both did really well in 35 knot winds and build quality is brilliant with the handy bow locker seat and with a new yam both topped out at 28 knots with an 11 pitch.

You could look at the 360 3 D tender alloy range which is 50 KGs so significantly lighter and will take up to a 25.

Pretty sure all the alloy ribs are made in the same place.but marginal different designs.

Zodiac/Quicksilver/Highfield/3D Tender.. the latter having the most variants and accessories and haven’t had a price rise yet.

Thanks Matt, great info.

Really interested in the Quicksilver 3.8 and to know it's manageable with the HD Trem style wheels makes it even more appealing.

The biggest problem I'll have based in the NE is viewing one, though I do travel around a bit with work.

Time to start searching!
Old 23 April 2022, 15:58   #10

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
There is a 380 somewhere up there. In stock likely to be the last one in UK as stock is challenging. Cant remember who it was however i do recall it was a quicksilver dealer within a marina north of Manchester but cannot locate the info. Best to call them all)
Old 23 April 2022, 18:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
There is a 380 somewhere up there. In stock likely to be the last one in UK as stock is challenging. Cant remember who it was however i do recall it was a quicksilver dealer within a marina north of Manchester but cannot locate the info. Best to call them all)
That narrows it down, I'll get looking.
Old 30 April 2022, 19:36   #12

Town: ...
Boat name: none
Make: Honwave 3.5-AE
Engine: Mariner 6hp
I wonder would those alu ribs corrode like aircraft do?
Old 30 April 2022, 20:07   #13

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by billows View Post
I wonder would those alu ribs corrode like aircraft do?
All bare aluminium will corrode over time, but aluminium hulls will be powder coated to protect them and stop corrosion.
Old 01 May 2022, 07:16   #14

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
I went from a 435 Alu deck Excel Sib to much lighter Zodiac Cadet Rib Alu with the same thoughts in mind - the 435 was a bit of a heavy lump to beach launch (didn’t have a trailer at the time) and just too big to solo launch.
The Zodiac is 360, just 50kg - up to 30HP, 6 person and handles beautifully! I have 350mm transom wheels that curl under the transom and counter-balance very well. When beach launching I was pushing it for 500m to get to the right spot on my own.
Saying that the Quicksilvers look to be really nice (and have a bow locker) - good luck!
Old 08 June 2022, 06:38   #15

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Deleted for new topic.

Tags
rib