Old 29 April 2024, 15:00   #21

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
Was it the low running fuel jets? Thinking of getting a 9.8 when one comes up , is this an issue with them?
Old 29 April 2024, 17:48   #22

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Does look like fun and a nice light set up to manhandle on shore as well Dennis

You are not having much luck with outboards lately are you….first the one on your new rib and now this one!

For someone who seems to advocate lack of servicing and gives debatable fuel storage advice, and at times winds up the others and ridicules them for being Ocd with their maintenance and servicing……

You maybe need to have think about that
Old 29 April 2024, 17:58   #23

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post

You are not having much luck with outboards lately are you….first the one on your new rib and now this one!

For someone who seems to advocate lack of servicing and gives debatable fuel storage advice, and at times winds up the others and ridicules them for being Ocd with their maintenance and servicing……

Old 29 April 2024, 18:41   #24

Town: Colchester
Quote:

Yes it is a lot of fun. So to your other points.

The issue with the 75hp is not mine it is somthing nowt to do with me as I bought it second hand. I am fixing it.

The little 9.8 has worked well for years and in the last year has given me issues twice. Both I am certain is the idle jet.

For the amount of boating I do that is very little. I will do as I have for years and that has served me well. All the others in the little gang of let’s have a pop at the same bloke like a gang of bullies must of course do as they wish.

Now back to the. Little Cat which is a lovely little boat. Are you interested in one or did you just want to join the gang and come on this thread and have a little pop
Old 29 April 2024, 18:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
Was it the low running fuel jets? Thinking of getting a 9.8 when one comes up , is this an issue with them?
I am pretty sure it is the low running jet and will hopefully fix that when I get to Scotland.

The 9.8 is generally thought to be the best and most reliable in its class and very light weight. If you want a 25hp. The next best is the @15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha many feel
Old 29 April 2024, 19:53   #26

I'm getting rid of my 25hp yamaha, to heavy and to much power, on the lookout for a 15hp yam or the 9.8. Boat looks fun, nice videos BTW.
Old 29 April 2024, 20:46   #27

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Yes it is a lot of fun. So to your other points.

The issue with the 75hp is not mine it is somthing nowt to do with me as I bought it second hand. I am fixing it.

The little 9.8 has worked well for years and in the last year has given me issues twice. Both I am certain is the idle jet.

For the amount of boating I do that is very little. I will do as I have for years and that has served me well. All the others in the little gang of let’s have a pop at the same bloke like a gang of bullies must of course do as they wish.

Now back to the. Little Cat which is a lovely little boat. Are you interested in one or did you just want to join the gang and come on this thread and have a little pop
Just having a laugh Dennis giving you a little wind up….dont take it so seriously….lifes too short!

But yeah each to their own, but we actually watch your videos amongst others to see what’s out there, other boating places, launch and camp sites and such like, so don’t take it to heart

I doubt we would have much use for the cat personally, but genuinely interesting to see all the same
Old 30 April 2024, 03:02   #28

Do you have any means to measure speed? Coz I'd have thought you were > 10mph there but it might all be an illusion.

Do you purposely not use the kill cord?
Old 30 April 2024, 03:45   #29

Quote:
Just having a laugh Dennis giving you a little wind up….dont take it so seriously….lifes too short!

But yeah each to their own, but we actually watch your videos amongst others to see what’s out there, other boating places, launch and camp sites and such like, so don’t take it to heart

I doubt we would have much use for the cat personally, but genuinely interesting to see all the same
Ok no problem. I also have the Boatworld cat which I need to test more but that was double the price of this one and I actually think this one is better

Sorry about the reaction but the clan on here just have a pop all the time just because I have different views from them
Old 30 April 2024, 03:50   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Do you have any means to measure speed? Coz I'd have thought you were > 10mph there but it might all be an illusion.

Do you purposely not use the kill cord?

Not sure of the speed on that one as I only hade my phone in my inside pocket. It seemed faster than it actually was. But sitting on the floor being so close to the water gave a quite thrilling ride. I know about the speed limit on ullswater but if I was possibly 2 mph over it I suspect no harm was done.

Yes I usually wear my kill cord and on this type of boat it is particularly important. On this occasion I simply forgot. Based on this little first test however I think this boat is well worth the money
Old 30 April 2024, 03:54   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
I'm getting rid of my 25hp yamaha, to heavy and to much power, on the lookout for a 15hp yam or the 9.8. Boat looks fun, nice videos BTW.
Don’t forget if you can find the Yamaha 9.9 two stroke they can easily be converted to a 15 hp just by changing the reed valves. 9.9’s are far more available and many have already been converted. Another advantage is it will have 9.9 sticker on the cowl that is useful as some places restrict use to under 10 hp.

I just bought a 9.9 yam 2 stroke and when I get a chance I will make a conversion video. Takes about 1 hour to convert and valves are very cheap on eBay
Old 30 April 2024, 06:29   #32

Cheers , useful to know, I will continue the search......
Old 30 April 2024, 09:07   #33

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>on the lookout for a 15hp yam or the 9.8.

I assume Tinker you are talking about 2-strokes only?

Anyway the two above are not strictly in the same use class... you either absolutely need the minimal weight of the 9.8 (I assume you are talking specifically about the 26kg Tohatsu 9.8) or you want/need the power of a 10kg heavier 15hp in which case you'd likely be disappointed with the Tohatsu 9.8.

I've always known this dilemma but over the past few years have lived it as I downshifted from a Yamaha 15 2T to a Tohatsu 9.8 2T when a seemingly permanent shoulder and neck problem meant the 36kg 15 was just too uncomfortable and unwise to lift.

The performance of the Tohatsu 9.8 two up plus dog and kit was barely acceptable out at sea even after optimising the prop pitch so when physio unexpectedly resolved my lifting issues I bought a Yamaha 15 2T again. I have kept the Tohatsu but while I can lift the Yamaha the Tohatsu will remain in the garage with perhaps one/two river runs a year.

Re the Tohatsu 9.8 2T it is purely said to be the holy grail/best in class because of its 10kg weight saving compared to the Mercury/Mariner/Yamaha 9.9s. It actually has a small cylinder capacity and lightweight build compared to the aforementioned. It is equally reliable to the other makes in appropriate leisure use but not better, in fact were you to constantly load/rev it to the maximum then logic says its small capacity and lighter build (it's is based on the 6 & 8hp models) could make it less reliable.

As the OP says if you want a 15 and find a Yamaha 9.9 then the conversion is easy. Rather than buying a cheap Chinese reed set it's better to follow guidance on here given years ago and bend the original reed stops to the dimensions given for the 15 in the Yamaha workshop manual.

If you are looking at Mercury/Mariners the 15hp 2T is a truly excellent motor, visibly not quite Yamaha quality under the hood but equally reliable with excellent start/run performance. Beware though in those makes the upgrade of a 9.9 to a 15 is much more complex needing at least a whole new carb and possibly other changes, not worth doing.

Re reliability overall from when I first got involved with SIBs and these 10/15hp motors time has moved on and now the newest of the legally sold ones are 18yrs old and many on the market 25yrs old. If in intermittent use and not well serviced all sorts of issues can come up when you put a new to you one into use. Stuff such as the first time you go to change/inspect the impeller lower unit bolts snapping, lower units sticking onto the leg or the vertical driveshaft seizing in the crank. So be super wary of the back story and seller of any you buy.

Hope some of that helps you decide.
Old 30 April 2024, 10:39   #34

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Reminds me of a Zapcat
Old 30 April 2024, 17:59   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>on the lookout for a 15hp yam or the 9.8.

I assume Tinker you are talking about 2-strokes only?

Anyway the two above are not strictly in the same use class... you either absolutely need the minimal weight of the 9.8 (I assume you are talking specifically about the 26kg Tohatsu 9.8) or you want/need the power of a 10kg heavier 15hp in which case you'd likely be disappointed with the Tohatsu 9.8.

I've always known this dilemma but over the past few years have lived it as I downshifted from a Yamaha 15 2T to a Tohatsu 9.8 2T when a seemingly permanent shoulder and neck problem meant the 36kg 15 was just too uncomfortable and unwise to lift.

The performance of the Tohatsu 9.8 two up plus dog and kit was barely acceptable out at sea even after optimising the prop pitch so when physio unexpectedly resolved my lifting issues I bought a Yamaha 15 2T again. I have kept the Tohatsu but while I can lift the Yamaha the Tohatsu will remain in the garage with perhaps one/two river runs a year.

Re the Tohatsu 9.8 2T it is purely said to be the holy grail/best in class because of its 10kg weight saving compared to the Mercury/Mariner/Yamaha 9.9s. It actually has a small cylinder capacity and lightweight build compared to the aforementioned. It is equally reliable to the other makes in appropriate leisure use but not better, in fact were you to constantly load/rev it to the maximum then logic says its small capacity and lighter build (it's is based on the 6 & 8hp models) could make it less reliable.

As the OP says if you want a 15 and find a Yamaha 9.9 then the conversion is easy. Rather than buying a cheap Chinese reed set it's better to follow guidance on here given years ago and bend the original reed stops to the dimensions given for the 15 in the Yamaha workshop manual.

If you are looking at Mercury/Mariners the 15hp 2T is a truly excellent motor, visibly not quite Yamaha quality under the hood but equally reliable with excellent start/run performance. Beware though in those makes the upgrade of a 9.9 to a 15 is much more complex needing at least a whole new carb and possibly other changes, not worth doing.

Re reliability overall from when I first got involved with SIBs and these 10/15hp motors time has moved on and now the newest of the legally sold ones are 18yrs old and many on the market 25yrs old. If in intermittent use and not well serviced all sorts of issues can come up when you put a new to you one into use. Stuff such as the first time you go to change/inspect the impeller lower unit bolts snapping, lower units sticking onto the leg or the vertical driveshaft seizing in the crank. So be super wary of the back story and seller of any you buy.

Hope some of that helps you decide.
Ni dilemma at all have both. Wise to have a back up anyway
Old 30 April 2024, 18:00   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Reminds me of a Zapcat
Sort of but a very small one 😁
Old 30 April 2024, 18:42   #37

>>Ni dilemma at all have both

As you know, or at least should if you read my advice for Tinker, I do have both. But there are many, probably most Sibbers on here, who for good reason only wish to have one outboard hence my guidance to help Tinker make the best decision for him.
Old 01 May 2024, 05:19   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>Ni dilemma at all have both

As you know, or at least should if you read my advice for Tinker, I do have both. But there are many, probably most Sibbers on here, who for good reason only wish to have one outboard hence my guidance to help Tinker make the best decision for him.
Don’t you think your guidance while useful could be condensed a little. Also if you buy one that is a little scratched up on the hood but still a good motor a person can easily afford both. It is also important to inform people that buying new for leisure use is generally illegal 😱😏
Old 01 May 2024, 08:33   #39

>>Don’t you think your guidance while useful could be condensed a little.

I have considered your advice at great length. My condensed answer is.... No.
Old 01 May 2024, 08:40   #40

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Also if you buy one that is a little scratched up on the hood but still a good motor a person can easily afford both.
What bo11oks!