Old 02 April 2024, 10:08   #1

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Length: 3m +
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
First time on the plane oo er

Hello folks,

Some of you may recall I had a 2.5hp and was pootling on the Trent with my 3.2m Boatworld.

Well, I've bought a 9.9hp as previously discussed on here, and now I've finally had it out this weekend just gone, again on the Trent. 1 hour running in new engine at a slow pootle as instructed, but then tried it at 3/4 throttle as instructed for 2nd hour and off we went.

As I've only had the 2.5hp before, what follows is a new experience for me:

Two grown men, with probably just 15kg much more crap in boat plus half full fuel tank, prow came up a fair bit as we picked up speed (no pooping though), but then boat levelled out in an almost spooky way and we're off to the races.

We didn't get phones out to do speed test because I was driving and my m8 was hanging on lmao. I imagine you lot would think this is all very tame but we felt like we were flying - maybe doing 20mph looking at the bank, don't know, can be deceptive, can't it?

Either way, ~20mph on the Trent, even on a deserted section where we were is Not Cricket so that's all we did, couple minutes, will not do again.

Couple thoughts and questions:
Boat floor was flexing a bit, I assume this is perfectly normal. When we started on this, there were no trees on either bank so with the minor wind there was a bit of small chop. When we went round the bend where there were trees on both banks it was much smoother. All of this is a no brainer.

Outboard trim - I didn't adjust it all day (in fact I've never adjusted it in my life, it's never seemed worth it). When we started planing and the boat levelled out, doing this seemed pointless. Obviously outboard trim adjustments need to be done beforehand and are going to depend on weight distribution in the boat. Is it reasonable to say that, if the boat feels level on the plane and planing is your aim, outboard trim adjustment isn't necessary?

Finally, the inflatable sausage keel was deflated when we got the boat out of the water. It didn't seem to be leaking when we inflated it again after to see. This requires more investigation than what we did at the time and could have other explanations, but does anyone have any experience of say, air being forced out the valve on these things after usage with rigorous speeds and bounce?

Anyway, what larks Pip, what larks .
Old 02 April 2024, 11:18   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croolis View Post
Hello folks,

Some of you may recall I had a 2.5hp and was pootling on the Trent with my 3.2m Boatworld.

Well, I've bought a 9.9hp as previously discussed on here, and now I've finally had it out this weekend just gone, again on the Trent. 1 hour running in new engine at a slow pootle as instructed, but then tried it at 3/4 throttle as instructed for 2nd hour and off we went.

As I've only had the 2.5hp before, what follows is a new experience for me:

Two grown men, with probably just 15kg much more crap in boat plus half full fuel tank, prow came up a fair bit as we picked up speed (no pooping though), but then boat levelled out in an almost spooky way and we're off to the races.

We didn't get phones out to do speed test because I was driving and my m8 was hanging on lmao. I imagine you lot would think this is all very tame but we felt like we were flying - maybe doing 20mph looking at the bank, don't know, can be deceptive, can't it?

Either way, ~20mph on the Trent, even on a deserted section where we were is Not Cricket so that's all we did, couple minutes, will not do again.

Couple thoughts and questions:
Boat floor was flexing a bit, I assume this is perfectly normal. When we started on this, there were no trees on either bank so with the minor wind there was a bit of small chop. When we went round the bend where there were trees on both banks it was much smoother. All of this is a no brainer.

Outboard trim - I didn't adjust it all day (in fact I've never adjusted it in my life, it's never seemed worth it). When we started planing and the boat levelled out, doing this seemed pointless. Obviously outboard trim adjustments need to be done beforehand and are going to depend on weight distribution in the boat. Is it reasonable to say that, if the boat feels level on the plane and planing is your aim, outboard trim adjustment isn't necessary?

Finally, the inflatable sausage keel was deflated when we got the boat out of the water. It didn't seem to be leaking when we inflated it again after to see. This requires more investigation than what we did at the time and could have other explanations, but does anyone have any experience of say, air being forced out the valve on these things after usage with rigorous speeds and bounce?

Anyway, what larks Pip, what larks .
If the sausage keel was flat, that would account for the keel flexing. You need to bottom that out before your next trip, it shouldn't happen & it's not good.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2024, 15:14   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Dust cap might have crap on it allowing bypass it’s your secondary seal
Old 02 April 2024, 16:05   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Dust cap might have crap on it allowing bypass it’s your secondary seal
Dust cap might have been off and the M8 sat on the valve stem
Old 02 April 2024, 18:07   #5

RIBase
Keel valve in a recessed area never understood why it’s not extended up clear of all the crap, and yes cap off or loose with the main seal leaking
Old 02 April 2024, 22:06   #6

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Croolis, sausage keel shouldn't deflate under any conditions. Inflate it to recommend pressure and leave it 24hrs to make sure you don't have a leak. If it does go down check the valve and cap as suggested above, if they are ok, soap and water check to find the puncture and repair it.
Old 03 April 2024, 07:07   #7

RIBase
One other thing is to tighten the valve onto the fabric with the valve spanner in the repair kit
Old 03 April 2024, 09:01   #8

I shall look into all these things. Going Ullswater next week (if we don't get rained off) for camping and boating (I went with Park Foot at the top of the lake in the end, try that place out).

Bought a small galvanised box trailer as well to put the rolled up boat in and other stuff. I've been told before that BOAT stands for "bung on another thousand". So true.
Old 03 April 2024, 09:29   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
A first hop onto the plane is always memorable, more so with a SIB as they are a little more animal like in their movement than a rigid hull. With a flat air floor and sausage keel even with a fully inflated keel there will always be a degree of movement.

As others have said the keel should not lose pressure, yours clearly needs investigating. As the keel inflation is crucial to the air floor performing as well as possible always best to recheck the keel pressure after you've been launched a few minutes and top up if needed.

Many folks like the trailer option, I just bought a big enough car in the loadspace area.
Old 03 April 2024, 10:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croolis View Post
Going Ullswater next week (if we don't get rained off) for camping and boating (I went with Park Foot at the top of the lake in the end, try that place out).
Or not. I just got an email from them saying my booking is cancelled as the fields are too waterlogged.
Old 03 April 2024, 10:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
A first hop onto the plane is always memorable, more so with a SIB as they are a little more animal like in their movement than a rigid hull. With a flat air floor and sausage keel even with a fully inflated keel there will always be a degree of movement.

As others have said the keel should not lose pressure, yours clearly needs investigating. As the keel inflation is crucial to the air floor performing as well as possible always best to recheck the keel pressure after you've been launched a few minutes and top up if needed.

Many folks like the trailer option, I just bought a big enough car in the loadspace area.
My car (Focus MK2) was just about OK with the 2.5hp, but the loading board thing I now use plus the extra bulk of the 9.9hp is making it just a bit of a PITA. Outboard still going in the boot, but everything else, more or less, in the trailer. But importantly it means I can have a seat up still in the back and have one of my lad's mates along for the ride.