Old 22 September 2023, 08:39   #1

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
KEYHAVEN and Hurst Castle

If you are in the Southampton area I think this would be a nice place to launch you Sib especially if you are a member of English Heritage. Launch is about £17 and car park about £7.

Launch at KEYHAVEN and sib over to Hurst castle and have a wander around Entrance is about £6 or free if a member.

Here is a video of our trip but cos of the weather we took the little ferry which is £7 return each person

Old 09 October 2023, 19:30   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Wow, you must have filmed this on one of the highest tides of the year. Normally there is quite a narrow channel into the lagoon and lots of muddy grasses banks, but they are completely covered.

The tide has a long stand at high water, then suddenly runs out very quickly, but a trip up to the quay with space for visitors worth while. The Gun is the local pub and shops a 20 minute fast walk.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keyhaven.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	143967  
Old 09 October 2023, 20:18   #3

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Pete7! Hello sir!
Old 10 October 2023, 04:12   #4

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wow, you must have filmed this on one of the highest tides of the year. Normally there is quite a narrow channel into the lagoon and lots of muddy grasses banks, but they are completely covered.

The tide has a long stand at high water, then suddenly runs out very quickly, but a trip up to the quay with space for visitors worth while. The Gun is the local pub and shops a 20 minute fast walk.

Pete
Interesting. I suspect if you did go by Sib under the circumstances you describe you could end up high and dry if you left it on the left of the ferry pontoon
Old 30 October 2023, 06:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Pete7! Hello sir!
Matt hello Has Sir bought a rib OMG
Old 30 October 2023, 12:00   #6

Yes, I certainly have - need something to get the kids out on the water more.

Additionally, and shock horror - am midway through doing my yachtmasters as well - I fancy a bit of yachting too. Can comfortably sail, navigate, handle, etc a yacht already - but was thinking that a bit of chartering (in the short term) might be the way to go and also figured Yachtmasters is just a good thing to have!
Old 30 October 2023, 15:44   #7

Absolutely, YM is the perfect qual UK charter companies will be delighted to see.

Whilst we loved the rib, a toilet, galley and bed suddenly become appealing as you race towards retirement.

Don't over look last minute UK charters too. We did a couple before buying when companies realised that me wafting cash under their noses or their yachts sitting there empty over a weekend worked well.

Chartering out of Oban at the end of the season was a great week. Bit chilly in the Spring, but Autumn even warm enough for a swim. Then of course there is a canal holiday. The Llangollen is spectacular and takes some beating

Pete
Old 30 October 2023, 16:26   #8

I was thinking I'd like to do my practical bit out of Falmouth - have you yachted down that way much? Just for a change of scenery from the solent.
Old 31 October 2023, 15:25   #9

Managed Fowey a few times, and did a diving week out of Falmouth a couple of decades ago.

I tried to do the same thing for Coastal Skipper, so went to Brighton. Got on board and we set off for...........the Solent Skipper asked if I knew were I was going (the Folly), just smiled at him. We did do a leg to Cherbourg to try and stretch us a bit.

Dived the Manacles in calm conditions. Don't ever want to be there in even windy conditions in a yacht.
Old 31 October 2023, 23:19   #10

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I was thinking I'd like to do my practical bit out of Falmouth - have you yachted down that way much? Just for a change of scenery from the solent.
We love Falmouth, have visited there by yacht (and RIB) numerous times. Lovely sailing within the estuary itself and up the river - our sailing yacht was a lift keel Ovni so we've taken it all the way up to Truro and dried out there overnight. Helford River is beautiful too all the way to Gweek, and going the other way to Mevagissey, Portmellon, etc. also great. On a typical YM course they are unlikely to get around the Lizard, but we love sailing into St Michael's Mount and Newlyn as well.

Definitely worth a try if your usual area is the Solent - generally a bit quieter than the Solent and some amazing places to visit.