Old 03 May 2024, 10:10   #1

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
The search for an outboard, 2 stroke yamaha

On the lookout for an outboard to replace my 57kg 25hp yamaha, I have found one, looks a bit dated, labelled as a 15hp but it's actually a 9.9hp. Is this the type that can be upgraded?

He says it's runs OK, but I will test it out thoroughly, temp, idle running etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240503_110344_Facebook.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	144906  
Old 03 May 2024, 10:22   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
That is of a previous series to the one I and many others have. I've never seen any data or reference to upgrading that model on here. You could ask the Yamaha guru on here, Davie from Scotland, as I'm sure he would know. My general observation is that looks a bit tired and you could probably find better. Do you know its age?

Edit: Just looking at discussions I've had some years back when first considering a Yamaha 15 2T I think you might be looking at a model 15D from the 1990s. Someone was of the opinion their basic build was stronger than the 15F many of us have but of course the extra age of being the generation before will offset that big time.
Old 03 May 2024, 13:06   #3

Its a 9.9d, £500. Might have a look next week if it's still available. Thanks again
Old 03 May 2024, 19:12   #4

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
I've just seen your post tinker in the other thread about the cheap aerotec. Its the shape of the Yamaha in that advert that is easily interchangeable between 9.9 and 15hp - the one with the rounded hood. Produced from 1996 to 2016ish I think.

The square one is late 80's early 90's. I guess £500 isn't a bad price, but spares might be difficult. You'd be looking at £1000+ for the next generation 1996+ ones, but they seem to age well and also because the production run was so long, there are lots of spares availability.
Old 03 May 2024, 19:15   #5

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
This is mine. 1996.

Old 03 May 2024, 20:07   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yes they are still making that model with little difference other than cowl stickers. So yep with a 30 or so year production then spares, tech info and experience are in abundance.Yours really is a minter Blankton.
Old 03 May 2024, 21:05   #7

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
On the lookout for an outboard to replace my 57kg 25hp yamaha, I have found one, looks a bit dated, labelled as a 15hp but it's actually a 9.9hp. Is this the type that can be upgraded?

He says it's runs OK, but I will test it out thoroughly, temp, idle running etc.
Yes, it can be made into a 15 but you need to find a 684 carb. It’s stamped on the flange where it bolts onto the inlet manifold. A 9.9 carb will have 682. The newer 15f is a slightly different block and completely different electrics.
Old 03 May 2024, 21:13   #8

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post

If I hadn’t already found a 25HP Yam, I would have been interested, Im needing a few more horses than the 15 I have on my sib
Old 04 May 2024, 06:23   #9

Thanks all, going to hold out for the later type, think I may have to wait a few years for one as clean as @blanktons though, show off
Old 05 May 2024, 03:52   #10

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
This is mine. 1996.

That is the one to get. Also there is more availability of 9.9 hp versions of that motor and to convert to 15 hp is very very easy and cheap to do. Many have already been done also

Converting to 15 also has the advantage that you will have 9.9 on the hood and that can be useful in places that only allow 10 hp and below outboards

Also don’t worry too much about a scratched up hood. These are portable motors and if used this does happen. It is the inside that is important.

I have 2 of these outboards a they are in my experience the best outboard for small boating. Most Four strokes above 6 hp are just too heavy for carting about are are an injury waiting to happen
Old 05 May 2024, 05:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
That is the one to get. Also there is more availability of 9.9 hp versions of that motor and to convert to 15 hp is very very easy and cheap to do. Many have already been done also

Converting to 15 also has the advantage that you will have 9.9 on the hood and that can be useful in places that only allow 10 hp and below outboards

Also don’t worry too much about a scratched up hood. These are portable motors and if used this does happen. It is the inside that is important.

I have 2 of these outboards a they are in my experience the best outboard for small boating. Most Four strokes above 6 hp are just too heavy for carting about are are an injury waiting to happen

Tags
outboard, yamaha