Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
AVON SR6 repower advice

Have an SR6 with inbuilt 200l tank (no flooding hull)
Had 2 ETEC 90s at the stern and was very happy with them until somebody decided to steal them ..
Was looking all year but could not find 2 identical ETECs so I consider single motor .
Still love the ETECs and have the V6 2.6 with 200hp in mind - must be fun too [emoji3]
Will save me nearly 100kg at the stern .
Started to look at the Optimax as well - a 175hp would be great but none at the moment up for sale .
A 150 Optimax would be available as well as a 225hp DTS which sounds tempting but is probably an overkill on the SR6 - but would still save approximately 70kg at the stern in comparison with the twin ETECs .
Any thoughts ?
Anybody running a SR6 with single ?
Thanks in advance !
Old 03 November 2023, 08:24   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Personally I'd look at 4 strokes, afaik no one is still manufacturing direct injection 2 stroke now. I've worked on a few from various manufacturers & every one has had fuel related issues & or electrical issues, as time goes on there will be fewer & fewer competent techs around to help with issues & parts will inevitably become more scarce & expensive. No companies will be running dealer training programs for discontinued products using abandoned technology. Whilst the later generations of 2 strokes do go well when running right their days are over imho. New 4 strokes are getting lighter & are generally easier to work on & will continue with dealer support for longer.
Old 03 November 2023, 09:28   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Have to agree with beamishken. No idea what the spares situation with spares for Johnson/Evinrude is like, but wouldn't want to base a rib on one with the intent to keep it long term. The optimax is you can find a low hours one might be interesting, but yes long term the future is 4 stroke.

Would I make any effort to save 70kgs from the stern, absolutely and that is your problem with big 4 strokes. You're looking at reasonably new designs of 2 strokes, but if you can find an older carb 2 stroke in very good condition, I would rule that out either. How about the Yam 130hp V4 engine. I had the 115hp version on a 5.95, Osprey and it was a super combination.

Equally, if you have a 200L fuel tank, I wouldn't routinely fill it up full. If 100L is more than sufficient for a days fun, that's another big saving. Sure it won't make a huge difference to the top speed, perhaps only a bit. However, getting the balance right will make a rib a much nicer handling boat.
Old 03 November 2023, 11:38   #4

Town: StPetersburg Russia
RIBase
Guys thanks !
The last bigger 4 stroke I had was a F100 . Did the job but had a temperament like a sleeping drug ..
Since then I used ETECs . Several 90s , a G1 250 and a G2 250 H.O.
I am not concerned about techs around . I do all maintenance and repairs myself and have the diagnostic software for G1 & G2 ETECs .
Parts might be an issue .
Next week I will look at an ETEC 200 from 2014 with low hours . But pricey but let’s see .
I started having a look at the Optimax but have had no experience with them .
They would have the power / weight ratio I am looking for . Only thing I can tell about them is that they sound horrible .
On my first 5.4 I had a nice Yamaha 90 2 stroke . Was running fantastic - but fuel consumption FAR too high .
That was the reason why I swapped out the Yamaha for an ETEC for the Round Ireland in 2013 cause I had no chance to carry that much fuel for the longer legs .
That’s why even a brand new carb engine I would not consider .
Running with half a tank is a good option for a nice afternoon but the majority of boating I was doing long distance cruising round UK , Scotland and Ireland or at the Mediterranean.
Any more opinions about the Optimax ?
There’s is a 150hp from 2010 with less than 400h up for sale .
Would assume this could be a reasonable motor in comparison to the twin setup I had before . Nevertheless I would prefer the 175hp since it has the same weight .
Old 03 November 2023, 16:26   #5

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
AVON SR6 repower advice

Give David Anderson Marine a shout if he doesn’t have a motor he’ll mebbe know someone that does. He had a tidy Suzi freshwater 115 which mebbe a bit small for you though but may have others. If your set on evinrudes try Quinquari Marine may have G1’s. They’ll probably be half the price of any equivalent not personally a fan. They had a ton of parts for sale a while back too. Loads of Seafari boats had them and now replaced. Fuel economy compared to a modern 4 stoke is eye watering.
Old 03 November 2023, 16:45   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Unless you have boat tow services available, subtract the weight of a kicker out of the 70kg, so you can self recover in the event of a breakdown on the main engine. A two cylinder 8hp would be ideal for usage, but a 6hp weighs a lot less at around 28kg. A common rule is 1hp per meter of boat.

Good luck on your motor search!
Old 03 November 2023, 16:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Unless you have boat tow services available, subtract the weight of a kicker out of the 70kg, so you can self recover in the event of a breakdown on the main engine. A two cylinder 8hp would be ideal for usage, but a 6hp weighs a lot less at around 28kg. A common rule is 1hp per meter of boat.

Good luck on your motor search!

Or depending on where you boat get a reliable 4 stroke and don’t bother [emoji57]
Old 03 November 2023, 17:00   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
Guys thanks !
The last bigger 4 stroke I had was a F100 . Did the job but had a temperament like a sleeping drug ..
Since then I used ETECs . Several 90s , a G1 250 and a G2 250 H.O.
I am not concerned about techs around . I do all maintenance and repairs myself and have the diagnostic software for G1 & G2 ETECs .
Parts might be an issue .
Next week I will look at an ETEC 200 from 2014 with low hours . But pricey but let’s see .
I started having a look at the Optimax but have had no experience with them .
They would have the power / weight ratio I am looking for . Only thing I can tell about them is that they sound horrible .
On my first 5.4 I had a nice Yamaha 90 2 stroke . Was running fantastic - but fuel consumption FAR too high .
That was the reason why I swapped out the Yamaha for an ETEC for the Round Ireland in 2013 cause I had no chance to carry that much fuel for the longer legs .
That’s why even a brand new carb engine I would not consider .
Running with half a tank is a good option for a nice afternoon but the majority of boating I was doing long distance cruising round UK , Scotland and Ireland or at the Mediterranean.
Any more opinions about the Optimax ?
There’s is a 150hp from 2010 with less than 400h up for sale .
Would assume this could be a reasonable motor in comparison to the twin setup I had before . Nevertheless I would prefer the 175hp since it has the same weight .
I completely understand your affinity for the Etec. Have you tried contacting South Coast Marine in Christchurch UK? They have a huge inventory of OMC/BRP spares. They may even have engines.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2023, 17:37   #9

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
Or depending on where you boat get a reliable 4 stroke and don’t bother [emoji57]
That is a Florida talking point where they have tow boat services available, and lots of boats milling about. Hence why I stated such in my first post of this thread.

A couple of days ago we saw two boats the entire day and covered 50 miles of the great Pacific Ocean. More whales than boats, but they don't offer towing services. Self recovery is important in remote areas.
Old 03 November 2023, 18:27   #10

AVON SR6 repower advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
That is a Florida talking point where they have tow boat services available, and lots of boats milling about. Hence why I stated such in my first post of this thread.

A couple of days ago we saw two boats the entire day and covered 50 miles of the great Pacific Ocean. More whales than boats, but they don't offer towing services. Self recovery is important in remote areas.

Get that, but Unless you have truly independent twins(not many are) you have a lot of common potential faults with a single.
Old 04 November 2023, 08:29   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
There’s a place near me that has previously sold Avon SR6s once they are decommissioned from supply vessels. Last one had Yamaha twin 60 2-strokes. I know that’s not going to set the heather alight, but interesting as base level power.
https://nwtandco.com/product/6m-avon...-in-good-cond/

SR6 is rated for twin 90s long shaft but if you opt for single engine then you’re into XL shaft territory?

Same topic from 2016 and folk raving about 150hp. https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/avon-sr...gle-72255.html

Can you convert E-tec 200 long shaft to XL shaft? If so I send you link to an engine for sale in UK.
Old 10 November 2023, 07:33   #12

RIBase
Thanks everybody - was a few days offline and for some reason Ribnet does not work on Tapatalk app on my phone .
I had yesterday a trip to Belgium and on the way back I visited my trusted friend and Evinrude dealer in Holland .
Actually I wanted his advice on the motors I spotted (2x G1 200hp , 1x G2 200hp) and to look with him through the motor reports .
I left after a long chat late in the evening the shop with a G2 150 H.O. with 50h and still warranty until 05/2027 .
Having great experience with a G2 250 H.O. on my Vipermax (replaced a G1 250hp) I am still impressed about performance and particularly the fuel burn - which was significantly lower than the G1 on the same boat / same conditions .
Diagnostic software I have as well for the G2 so I could not resist .
So my Oldtimer SR6 will meet space technology

*shaft length of the G2 can be / will be adjusted
Old 15 January 2024, 20:58   #13

Town: Dollerup
Boat name: Raumschiff I
Make: Avon searider 6m
Length: 6m +
Engine: 22 Suzuki DF 140BTGX
RIBase
Hi,
Im running a SR6 (200 l fuel instead of flooding hull as well) with Suzuki 140 btgx single. Not complaining….
Old 16 January 2024, 02:57   #14

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
Hey, I've had an sr6 with twin 70hp 2 stroke 3cyl johnson's, and one with a single yamaha 2 stroke 150 25" shaft, and later a yamaha 4 stroke F150 25" shaft. It runs even better with a single 150 than it did with the 70's.

In my opinion, a single 150 is the proper engine for the boat. I wouldn't go with less than 150, but if the weight was the same I'd try a 225. Why not. Overpowered is fine, as long as the transom weight isnt too heavy.
Old 17 January 2024, 11:57   #15

Town: Deventer
Boat name: .
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
Merc F150 is SUPERB!!!
Old 20 January 2024, 08:47   #16

RIBase
Was working over the new year when I been home in Germany on the SR6 to get it ready for the G2 installation .
Had to remove all the old harness / controls / gauges from the 2x 90 ETECs .
The 8 holes at the stern I had to close and as well the hole in the console where the Evinrude double control was installed .
Furthermore the battery is now under the console and does not occupy space in the locker anymore .
Since the G2 has an inbuilt oil tank the locker is now absolutely free .
Was thinking long what to do with the ICON 4.3 touch display . I like personally the round Icon pro much more and I do not have at all a free place on my console where it would fit .
At the end I found a place just underneath the Icon control . I can see it very well when at the helm and the motor data I will have anyway on one of my plotters .
So basically I am ready to go in March to Holland to install together with my dealer the outboard .
There are only 2 network cables to connect to the rigging port of the G2 , the battery cables and the fuel hose .
Very easy job .
The hydraulic steering systems will need a good clean before getting connected to the outboard .
If I had the choice I would not go for the integrated Evinrude power steering but to find used outboards without is very hard .
So after that remains only system calibration / system settings and test drive / prop test .
Really excited .
I like the idea to have the master switch easy accessible but I do not know how good this place is in terms of water spray and salt water impact .
Any thoughts ?

*great - now everybody has to turn thheir computers 90 degrees to look at the pictures ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4981.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	144388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4980.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	144389   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4982.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	144390   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4987.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	144391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4920.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	144392  

Old 13 March 2024, 08:04   #17

RIBase
As agreed last year in November I came this week to Holland and together with my dealer here the Evinrude G2 was installed .
Fantastic 2 days were I learned a lot and we both had fun .
Peter is a perfectionist and loves Evinrude outboards .
Tested an RX4 and an RX3 .
Boat reaches easily 42kn . Hole shot is as expected very impressive .
Motor can still go one hole up and got a Rebel for testing as well .
During Round Britain with the Vipermax the Rebel was the best prop on the G1 Evinrude .

*will never understand why pics are turned ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	144640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	144641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Views:	12