View Single Post
Old 30 May 2008, 10:37   #17
jwalker

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I've done this for a few seasons and for weeks at a time. I used a biggish anchor with plenty of chain (Why sleep badly?). A pulley was used for the rope to pass through at the seaward end. I found that without a pulley it could be almost impossible to make the rope run around a karabiner or similar if there is a breeze blowing and pulling the boat. Having a floating rope and a sinking rope for the running loop is a good idea because both ropes on the seabed roll about sideways with the motion of the waves and they twist together. It may be that this is impossible because craft might pass between your boat and the shore. If you choose not to use a pulley, then don't use twisted rope because it will twist up as it passes around the karabiner and the slack side of the rope may spiral into knots and these can become too big or awkward to pass through the karabiner.

The land anchor is important because it takes some of the anchoring load. If the wind turns off shore, it will end up taking almost all of the anchoring load.

You'll obviously buoy the top of the anchor line and I found a large buoy caused a lot of fretting of the rope. I ended up using a medium sized pickup buoy and attached it to the top of the anchor line with a short piece of chain. This also stopped the bobbing buoy wrapping itself around the running line so preventing the boat being pulled in.

Because my system was in place for a while, it wasn't long before I gave up using rope for anchoring and using chain throughout proved to be much easier and certainly more secure.

I agree with Bigmuz about the jelly fish tentacles.