Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Hot Smokers for Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I carry a small portable radio on board (cost about a fiver ) which is handy for a few tunes/news when the fish aren't biting - I use it quite a lot
A lot better than George Michael via 100watt amp at nightfall in a quiet harbour
Ditto.Rarely use it though. Mine came free with the hot smoker from Askaris (fantastic bit of kit-try Pollack hot smoked with Alder and you'll never eat it any other way again)

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2008, 00:35   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Sounds good - you wouldn't believe how many Pollack I've chucked back - decent size ones too, they're just so tasteless. An ex-fishmonger friend of mine recommended leaving them in the fridge for a 2-3 days before cooking, to allow them to mature. Been meaning to give that a go too.
Old 11 October 2008, 00:45   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
RIBase
Quote:
Sounds good - you wouldn't believe how many Pollack I've chucked back - decent size ones too, they're just so tasteless. An ex-fishmonger friend of mine recommended leaving them in the fridge for a 2-3 days before cooking, to allow them to mature. Been meaning to give that a go too.
www.askari-fishing.co.uk/

The smokers were on offer there at 15 quid a few months back-almost exactly the same as Force 4 sell for 50 quid (or everywhere else sells for 30...) but there's a minimum order of 30 quid so grab some 'free' tackle at the same time. Very good company to deal with-they even rang me to check it had arrived! Their website is playing up at the moment though-can't get into the shop.

Old 11 October 2008, 01:08   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Well, that tosser didn't know wtf he was talking about!!
Old 11 October 2008, 08:37   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
www.askari-fishing.co.uk/

The smokers were on offer there at 15 quid a few months back-almost exactly the same as Force 4 sell for 50 quid (or everywhere else sells for 30...) but there's a minimum order of 30 quid so grab some 'free' tackle at the same time. Very good company to deal with-they even rang me to check it had arrived! Their website is playing up at the moment though-can't get into the shop.
Cool - must give that a go .. I do like me smoked fish , but likewise I only ever used the buggers for lobster bait as they were deemed tasteless, but even restaraunts are selling them now and you have to agree theres plenty meat on them .. so Nos.. Alder is the best ? .. have you tried anything else with them ?
Old 11 October 2008, 11:03   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Cool - must give that a go .. I do like me smoked fish , but likewise I only ever used the buggers for lobster bait as they were deemed tasteless, but even restaraunts are selling them now and you have to agree theres plenty meat on them .. so Nos.. Alder is the best ? .. have you tried anything else with them ?
I have quite a range of different woods for it(Alder,oak,maple,mesquite,cherry and some smoking mix with juniper berries in I got from Askaris which is nice on chicken but too bitter for fish).
So far I've tried Alder,Maple,Mesquite and the smoking mix. Alder seems to be the best for fish. Mesquite works well too but a stronger flavour.Don't use softwoods as the resin apparently ruins the fish.

You need to brine the fillets before smoking them-I just chuck them in a clean bucket with 3 parts water 1 part salt for 20 minutes. You can add flavourings to the brine too-Lazy Garlic or Lazy Ginger and a bit of brown sugar work quite well.
The fillets need to be dried afterwards too-I'm lazy and just dry them with some kitchen towel til the towel stops looking damp when I pat the fillet with it but apparently it works better if you do that then air dry them in the fridge overnight. All the above is open to experimentation though. It sounds complicated but it's really not and the results are worth it.

It's very hard to make it taste bad as long as you don't use too much wood-a large heaped tablespoon is enough to do 4 decent sized fillets.

This is the smoker I have-runs on meths and can be used as a camping cooker too.

https://www.angelsport.de/cgi-bin/as...575&2E85&2E585

Old 11 October 2008, 11:20   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Don't use softwoods as the resin apparently ruins the fish.
I can confirm this . A chef I knew foolishly smoked a salmon using pine! I'd try to describe the flavour but, for once, words fail me. Don't try it!
Old 11 October 2008, 16:50   #8
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Well, that tosser didn't know wtf he was talking about!!
Yes most people cant tell the difference between cod and pollack its just as nice.

James
Old 11 October 2008, 17:18   #9

Quote:
I have quite a range of different woods for it(Alder,oak,maple,mesquite,cherry and some smoking mix with juniper berries in I got from Askaris which is nice on chicken but too bitter for fish).
So far I've tried Alder,Maple,Mesquite and the smoking mix. Alder seems to be the best for fish. Mesquite works well too but a stronger flavour.Don't use softwoods as the resin apparently ruins the fish.

You need to brine the fillets before smoking them-I just chuck them in a clean bucket with 3 parts water 1 part salt for 20 minutes. You can add flavourings to the brine too-Lazy Garlic or Lazy Ginger and a bit of brown sugar work quite well.
The fillets need to be dried afterwards too-I'm lazy and just dry them with some kitchen towel til the towel stops looking damp when I pat the fillet with it but apparently it works better if you do that then air dry them in the fridge overnight. All the above is open to experimentation though. It sounds complicated but it's really not and the results are worth it.

It's very hard to make it taste bad as long as you don't use too much wood-a large heaped tablespoon is enough to do 4 decent sized fillets.

This is the smoker I have-runs on meths and can be used as a camping cooker too.

https://www.angelsport.de/cgi-bin/as...575&2E85&2E585
That smoker looks as good as any I've used for a fraction of the money and I was looking for one for the house

I must confess I've only ever used hickory, but I'm getting bored with that flavour now.

Have you tried just salting them, rather than brining them, thats even lazier and I find it works ok , I think this is only relavant to fish caught that day though, (as opposed to shop bought) it seems to accelerate part of the post mortem change that adds to their flavour, and despite the amount of 'juice' it takes out, when you leave them overnight in the fridge .. the fish doesnt seem to get dried by it too much, that said most of my smoking has been done with oily fish, so the rules might be different for pollack ?
Old 11 October 2008, 17:22   #10
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
I've only used ours for fish when we've been camping so not had the opportunity yet. The brine in a bucket is a nice easy way to do it 'out in the field' as it were.

Might give salting a go.

BTW, fresh sardines are amazing smoked but put something under them to catch the oil or it makes a hell of a mess in the smoker.

Old 11 October 2008, 17:57   #11

Quote:
I've only used ours for fish when we've been camping so not had the opportunity yet. The brine in a bucket is a nice easy way to do it 'out in the field' as it were.

Might give salting a go.

BTW, fresh sardines are amazing smoked but put something under them to catch the oil or it makes a hell of a mess in the smoker.

Yes there are some things that are a nightmare for your cooking gear, I tried barbecuing some Gressingham duck once, and it turned my barbecue into a fireball XL5 inferno that I couldnt put out

Can you eat the sardines whole without head & tail ?
Old 11 October 2008, 18:00   #12
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Yes there are some things that are a nightmare for your cooking gear, I tried barbecuing some Gressingham duck once, and it turned my barbecue into a fireball XL5 inferno that I couldnt put out

Can you eat the sardines whole without head & tail ?
The ones I did in mine were a bit big for that but the bones came out easily.

Old 11 October 2008, 18:08   #13

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
I ran a wholesale/retail fish business for a few years. We had a commercial smoker which was an integral part of the business. We put loads of pine shavings through it, the results were perfect. The only problem with pine was that the resins would clag-up the chimney which caught fire one night.
As for pollack, when a whack of it hit the market the price would drop to as little as £2/stone round. We'd buy tonnes of if, fillet it off, smoke it and freeze it. We sold piles of smoked haddock, but never smoked a single haddock.
We did well with hand sliced smoked salmon at Xmas. Salmon is dry salted rather than soaked in brine as with white fish cold smoking. Hot smoking commercially was a pain as the smoker couldn't be left unattended.
Old 11 October 2008, 19:57   #14

Town: Co. Clare
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard diesel Yamah
We sold piles of smoked haddock, but never smoked a single haddock.

I regularly hot smoke pollack and fine it is too. Use either alder or apple chips. Always salt the fillets and leave them in the 'fridge overnight. This firms the fillets.
My mate Mullins, fillets on board and leaves them in a bucket of sea water overnight. Same result as above.
Did, some years ago, smoke fish using turf ( peat ) bits. The results were worse than foul.
Old 11 October 2008, 20:11   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentiana View Post
Did, some years ago, smoke fish using turf ( peat ) bits. The results were worse than foul.
Hard to resist trying though, considering how well it works on Whiskey....
Old 11 October 2008, 20:14   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hard to resist trying though, considering how well it works on Whiskey....
Arrr .. that be a different talent.. altogether.. sor !
Old 11 October 2008, 20:17   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Arrr .. that be a different talent.. altogether.. sor !
Indeed, and one that you lot should be a little more grateful for, seeing as how we taught you to make it in the first place.....
Old 11 October 2008, 20:31   #18
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
seeing as how we taught you to make it in the first place
yus. iym parshul too a bitt ov blakk bussh

garF
Old 11 October 2008, 20:32   #19

Quote:
Indeed, and one that you lot should be a little more grateful for, seeing as how we taught you to make it in the first place.....
And you should be grateful we told you how to do it properly

where is your catalogue of single malts then ? Mash, Rye .. no thanks

each to their own
Old 11 October 2008, 20:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish View Post
yus. iym parshul too a bitt ov blakk bussh