Old 17 January 2009, 09:24   #1

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Rock concerts to end in UK?

Hi guys just received and email from The Hamsters rock band stating that the Gov. are about to ban loud music!!!!! Please read the email below and sign the petition the URL is at the bottom of the thread cheers guys keep on rockin. Come on Codders your chance for another pop at the Nobbahs

HAMSTERHEADS.... we'd much appreciate it if you'd kindly sign this petition, the cut-off
date is Friday the 23rd January. Also please circulate to your friends:

NOISE LIMITERS
It has been brought to our attention that new noise legislation is about to be introduced
that is likely to virtually destroy live music in the UK.

The government wish to consider it a legal requirement in the new tax year to introduce
laws insisting anyone applying or re-applying for an entertainment licence must have a
noise control device fitted to the venue.

This will be the final nail in the coffin for pretty much ALL entertainment in the UK as
the level at which these devices cut the power off is ridiculously low. In our experience
any venue that has one in use cannot have any electric music as the power is constantly
being cut mid-song - and even loud applause at the end of a song can cut it. Venues are
suffering enough as it is without being forced to go to the expense of fitting one of these
damned things. Noise limiters are a menace to live music, and we expect this is the bright
idea of some unelected suit in Brussels that's never been to a gig in their life.

Bloody politicians - why can't they all just ****** off and let us lead our lives?

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION HERE: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/NoNoiseControl/
Old 17 January 2009, 09:32   #2
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
Hi guys just received and email from The Hamsters rock band stating that the Gov. are about to ban loud music!!!!! Please read the email below and sign the petition the URL is at the bottom of the thread cheers guys keep on rockin. Come on Codders your chance for another pop at the Nobbahs

HAMSTERHEADS.... we'd much appreciate it if you'd kindly sign this petition, the cut-off
date is Friday the 23rd January. Also please circulate to your friends:

NOISE LIMITERS
It has been brought to our attention that new noise legislation is about to be introduced
that is likely to virtually destroy live music in the UK.

The government wish to consider it a legal requirement in the new tax year to introduce
laws insisting anyone applying or re-applying for an entertainment licence must have a
noise control device fitted to the venue.

This will be the final nail in the coffin for pretty much ALL entertainment in the UK as
the level at which these devices cut the power off is ridiculously low. In our experience
any venue that has one in use cannot have any electric music as the power is constantly
being cut mid-song - and even loud applause at the end of a song can cut it. Venues are
suffering enough as it is without being forced to go to the expense of fitting one of these
damned things. Noise limiters are a menace to live music, and we expect this is the bright
idea of some unelected suit in Brussels that's never been to a gig in their life.

Bloody politicians - why can't they all just ****** off and let us lead our lives?

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION HERE: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/NoNoiseControl/
It's been in the pipe line for a long time. I used to set up a photography studio as and when needed inside a recording studio called deadfrog, stopped doing it in early '08. And bands then were finding that venue owners where already putting the DB limit in to force to avoid any legal issues.

On the plus side bingo callers are having to shout instead of using mic's
An un mic drumkit will easily go over the limits by it's self!
Old 17 January 2009, 09:35   #3

JSP I'm sure you are right, but the petition closes on 23rd January we need to act NOW
Old 17 January 2009, 11:38   #4
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Already signed it Fred.
These petitions do work as I remember signing one to stop that Livingston bloke trying to ban photography from the streets of London. It's already against the law to set up a tripod in most parts of London and if it's not against the law then the company who owns the area that you are in send security after you.
That is unless your obviously a tourist from another country.
Glad to say it worked.
Old 17 January 2009, 12:39   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Its a bit of a crap petition. It doesn't cite the legislation/proposed change and therefore those signing up are basing their decision purely on rumour and speculation (which may or may not be accurate) rather than having had the chance to consider the detailed proposals. Furthermore when it (or the accompanying email/forum post) refers to ban live musing in the UK this is probably not the case - since if it is licensing legislation it is a devolved matter and the westminster government will not decide this for Scotland.
Old 17 January 2009, 15:20   #6

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
... Bloody politicians - why can't they all just ****** off and let us lead our lives?

Whilst it's easy to blame the slimey politicians.. I can't bring myself to lay the blame at their feet for this. We have an out-of-control litigation culture whereby there is always someone to blame and therefore sue. This feeds the greed of the general population.
Loud music affects your hearing... stands to reason.. you know a concert is going to be loud so you take the risk or you take precautions.. that's how it should be... however no one takes responsibility for their own actions anymore. So anyone connected with the source of the loud music..and that includes the licensing authorities.. leaves themselves open to our favourite no-win no-fee lawyers ably abetted by the judiciary.....actually I've talked myself round to blaming the Govt! Get rid of the "blame someone else for profit" culture and we'll all be much better off... where do I sign?
Old 17 January 2009, 16:06   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
And who made the changes to the law that allowed these sharks to operate? Geoff Hoon oversaw it in 1998 and 2000!!!

Remember Tony Blair - his wife and 99% of the cabinet are all lawyers..............
Old 17 January 2009, 17:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
- since if it is licensing legislation it is a devolved matter and the westminster government will not decide this for Scotland.
Sod you sassenach i'm alright jack
Old 17 January 2009, 18:47   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Sod you sassenach i'm alright jack
OK it does seem to be UK wide law -- but I can't see what its got to do with renewal of an entertainments license: http://www.performing-musician.com/p...oiseatwork.htm

That article is a little more balanced! It also points out its only actually a slight change from the current rules, and bringing the entertainment industry into line with the rest of industry - why would it be acceptable to expose security, bar staff etc to potentially dangerous sound levels but not to let a miner, road digger, or someone in a ships engine room etc get the same.

Here is a legal perspective: http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/ltext...se-at-work.htm

But nowhere does it say you must fit a sound limitting device. You need to risk assess it and put control measures in place - including making PPE (ear plugs) available where required. Thats been standard practice in the pop-concert world for at least the last 15 years anyway.

And here is the HSE's own guidance:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/regulations.htm

And most importantly - here is the HSE's detailed info for this industry: http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/regulations.htm
If the person who started the petition had bothered to take the 15 minutes I have to google the "issue" they would have seen that whatever rumours they have heard are nonsence and made a more structured argument, or not bothered at all (or perhaps used their time/efforts to better effect promoting the actual position within the music industry).
Old 17 January 2009, 19:01   #10

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Hey-ho - at least it's good PR for The Hamsters. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned as they're very good. Their vested interest is that they do like to play loud rock. But if you don't like that, put your earplugs in or stay away.

Come to that, no reason why staff at loud venues shouldn't have to wear earplugs - the small foam ones are quite discreet. Wonder if that's been taken into account?
Old 17 January 2009, 19:04   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Come to that, no reason why staff at loud venues shouldn't have to wear earplugs - the small foam ones are quite discreet. Wonder if that's been taken into account?
thats already normal practice. As is wearing full headphone style protection close to speakers at major events - even then it can still be painfully loud at the time!
Old 17 January 2009, 21:42   #12

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Why the feck does it always have to be that loud anyway ... hold on till I fetch my pipe and slippers .... If the sound is engineered to be like a loud output in your living room with a proper EQ .. thats my idea of a gig .. and I must say I've been to several lately, Hampden,.. concert hall in Glasgow etc that have been just like that

Ah I know what it is .. I've left my heavy rock days behind ..... pardon ?
Old 23 January 2009, 19:13   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
It wont happen

The industry is to big. If I recall the GLC introduced/tested this legislation in the 80' and they ain't done much about it

I worked in this indusrty for 18 years and I'm 56 now I only used ear protection for the last 8 years and I can still hear reasonably well. Sibilance, like good sex, is more of a memory than an experience, unfortunately

It's all very redolent of the Central Screwwwtinizer: