Old 15 February 2011, 16:39   #1

Town: perth
Boat name: predator
Make: p & j marine
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70hp evinrude
what anchor?

Just looking for a bit of advice on what anchor to purchase and the various pro's and cons of the various different types. I have a 5.5m RIB with 90hp outboard.

At the moment I have a folding 4kg grapple type folding anchor with about 5ft of chain. To me this anchor doesnt seem nearly big enough for the boat? Majority of cruising I would be doing would be west coast of scotland so generally rocky and sandy.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 15 February 2011, 16:46   #2

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Crikey this is a hot topic!

People feel very strongly about their "hooks", fortunately less so on here than on some forums I could mention.

Several points here, all my own opinion and probably in contrast to the subsequent posters...

The size of your anchor is not nearly as important as you think, they are not weights to hold your boat in place they are mechanical devices that work by gripping when dragged horizontally along the seabed.

The exact type that suits you will vary on the storage you have available and the type of ground you generally anchor in, ie some work well in sand, some in rock and some in weed.

Folding grapling anchors are generally referred to as lunch hooks, which is all they are good for. They have no mechanical properties that help them hold your boat in place.

Chain is absolutely vital, the more you have and the heavier it is the better your anchor will work.
Old 15 February 2011, 16:52   #3
red

Town: Alton
Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Zodiac Hurricane, Ca
Length: 6m +
Engine: Diesel 170hp
Hi, your choice of anchor can depend on where you intend to use it - anchor.
Some are better in soft ground, the Delta and Fortress types hold well in mud, whereas some are better at holding on hard ground - the Bruce, CQR types and the fisherman pattern is ideal for rock. My advice is to choose a good all rounder like the Delta which is of the plough type of anchor. From a ribbers point of view it has the advantage of being a strong pattern so you can get away with a much smaller anchor and still have good holding power. A 4/5kg Delta would be big enough for your rib. Avoid buying a cheap copy of a Delta.
Store it below deck in a locker.
Old 15 February 2011, 17:07   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Good articles:Euphoria Sailing; Dummies guide to boat anchoring on eHow; Alain Hylas article (one sided, but still); Very good article by Dave Mallett here (wavelength on here ); ADEC Marine; "Tropical boating" (pretty good actually); Old thread on here; Another; And another; For a SIB; One more...; For a 6.5m RIB; Finally...

To sum up, I think you might find this page to be the most helpful

From your info in your profile I guess you boat is <5.5m. A 5kg Bruce or Darnforth should therefore be the best option for you, along with at least 5m of 6mm chain. It would be recommended to have around 30m of rope with another 20 that can be bowlined on to extend its length. It would also be advisable (especially since you already have one) to keep the grapnel on board to either act as a kedge if necessary of as a second anchor to hold you into currents etc.
Old 15 February 2011, 17:24   #5

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Hi, your choice of anchor can depend on where you intend to use it - anchor.
Some are better in soft ground, the Delta and Fortress types hold well in mud, whereas some are better at holding on hard ground - the Bruce, CQR types and the fisherman pattern is ideal for rock. My advice is to choose a good all rounder like the Delta which is of the plough type of anchor. From a ribbers point of view it has the advantage of being a strong pattern so you can get away with a much smaller anchor and still have good holding power. A 4/5kg Delta would be big enough for your rib. Avoid buying a cheap copy of a Delta.
Store it below deck in a locker.
Well, I would agree with Red. I anchor regularly on the west coast and sleep aboard under a large tent, so lots of windage. My anchor is an original Delta. From memory it's 5kg. I think I have 5 metres 8mm chain, 5 metres 6mm chain and 20 metres 12mm anchorplait rope, with another 20 metres spare to add on (though I've never used it). Do get a proper Delta, they have a heavy solid point, I think Lewmar market them. The copies are no where near as good. The chain is vital, don't be fobbed off with lightweight stuff.

Famous last words, but that set up has never let me down, holding in very strong winds.

Places with rocky bottoms are not anchorages. Round here, Snd of Jura, Firth of Lorne, Snd of Mull, the bottom is usually sand or muddy sand - or mud, but the main problem is weed. However in a Rib one is anchoring in water so shallow you can see the bottom and drop the anchor on a patch of sand and avoid the weed or any rocks. (Unless of course you're fishing)
Old 15 February 2011, 18:18   #6

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Alas. I am a lowly sib owner, but I do cruise in 32' Westsail and have anchored in some dismal locations. I agree with a plow for serious general use. It can be set in some rocks and ledges. The chain is great for reducing chafing on underwater obstructions and reefs, but the real value is in aiding your anchor set and maintaining the proper catenary curve on your anchor line under load. Without scope and chain weight any anchor has diminished holding capacity.

I do have one suggestion, particularly if you are traveling in remote locations, consider carrying an anchor line far in excess of what is required to anchor normally. If you should find yourself adrift it will be your last resort to hold position. I fish offshore in Mexico. In my sib I have a bucket (with a couple of holes in it so it drains). It easily holds the 200' of 1/2" anchor line, chain and anchor that I carry. If I loose power I have a shot at holding my position. The water depth goes down to 125' just outside where I fish and then it's nothing but seriously deep blue until you reach Japan. I would only have a few minutes before getting into water deep enough to be a problem for 200' of line. I know that is short for 125' of depth. I wouldn't have time to attach an extension. A little extra line doesn't take up very much room! It also means I can trim a little off if it gets damaged and still have a useful anchor line. Even operating where there is a local Coast Guard I enjoy the extra margin of safety. Consider the depths you will be operating in and accommadate that if possible.

No anchor set is absolute.

Old 15 February 2011, 18:42   #7

Town: Prestatyn
Boat name: Ray fish 2
Make: Caribe
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol
MMSI: 235085991
anchor

does anyone trip there anchor, or use a anka yanka to retrive
Old 15 February 2011, 19:06   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfish2 View Post
I'm a big fan of trippin'.
Old 15 February 2011, 22:30   #9

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Engine: Suzuki 175
Originally Posted by rayfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I'm a big fan of trippin'.
Old 15 February 2011, 22:40   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
(playing devils advocate - honestly!).... Wots trippin' wen itz at'ome?
Old 04 August 2013, 09:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Wots trippin' wen itz at'ome?
Wot you made yer Mum do at Alderney Yacht Club. "YOU STUPID BOY!!!"
Old 04 August 2013, 10:27   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Wot you made yer Mum do at Alderney Yacht Club. "YOU STUPID BOY!!!"
Nice thread resurection! I'm confused now though did Gotchi:

- spike his mum's drink
- leave his kit lying around for her to stumble over
- send his mother out to retrieve the anchor?
Old 04 August 2013, 12:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

Nice thread resurection! I'm confused now
Gave her a gentle push down some concrete steps. She snapped like a swamp gator! :-D
Old 04 August 2013, 12:16   #14

Can some explain anchor tripping to the lad? Im all fingers and elbows on this phone. :-/
Old 04 August 2013, 13:39   #15

Length: 3m +
Tripping means attaching a line to the anchor (seperate from the main line). Its attached at the head not the stem like a normal anchor line.

To retrieve the anchor you pull the tripping line which (in theory) allows you to uppl it out in the opposite direction to its been being tugged in a F7 with 5knots of tide all night.

Sailtrain: Anchoring and mooring, Choice of an anchorage.

Convention says the tripping line is put on a bouy and so there is very little force on the line and it cant pull it out by accident.
Old 04 August 2013, 14:05   #16

Back on PC.

The trippy bit down 'ere, is to balance the anchor,chain and correct length of line on the prow (easy on a rib), shove the boat stern first away from the shore paying out the trip line as she goes. When the boat is at the required distance from the shore, give the trip line a tug and it pulls the anchor into the water. Attach the shore end of the trip line to a rock or small folding anchor. Pull on trip line to recover boat.
Be sure to attach the trip line to the blade end of the anchor, there's usually a hole, otherwise you wont pull it out.

Also, if the trip line is a bit floaty, you don't need clowns motoring about between the anchored boat and the shore.

I tend to use it in the eve after the clueless wonders have packed up and ferked off. Saves me going for a swim after a Glass of Rioja and a sossage.