Old 06 November 2002, 18:46   #1

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
HOW ABOUT A TRIP TO........ Next Summer

I know that this may sound silly (my wife thinks so ) but I had another (of my not so briliant) idea
How about a trip from the UK by road to Greece (we can meet up with others on the way if that's the case) and cruise around the Aegean for 15 days or so by the end of August/beg September?? (ARE YOU MAAAAD??? , he said and YESSSS I replied )
I have done this trip with a trailer 5 times now in the last 7 years and is fun (so I think so any way).
Where shall we go.
Well we start from Cape Sounion (Lavrion and its little picturedque Port is the village 5 kms away with a slip at no charge) and then explore the islands of Makronisos, Kea, Kithnos, Serifos, Sifnos, Paros, Naxos, Ios and (Thira) Santorini (the furthest be 90 miles away or there abouts).
If any one is interested and is a crazy as I am please let me know in the forum.
I'm going on a biz trip for 2-3 weeks on Sunday and will be staying in Greece for a few days.
So if you are interested I can look around and make some inquiries about faies, MOST IMPORTANT COSTS, berth availiability (although not upsolutely necessary. I never use a marina in Greece) and finally accomodation (some may want to stay in a tent on the beach!!).
Michael the Bat may have also to add something to this.

And finaly the
BEST PART
WE CAN ALL PLAN THIS TOGETHER

What do you say Guys??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cyclades_islands.gif
Views:	623
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1327  
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2002, 21:02   #2

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Sounds good - we usually trail to the southwest of France but this would really different! How long overland from Dover?
Old 06 November 2002, 21:15   #3

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I'd love to. I was in a sailing regatta in Greece last year and would love to go back on a RIB, What a good idea
Old 06 November 2002, 21:23   #4

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi folks

And now for the really mad bit

How long a trip would it be all the way by RIB
I know we could do the south coast in 1 day pushing it and 2 days in comfort but after than well ???.

Dont have a real idea but was just thinking if it would be possible in a resonable holiday time say three weeks including some crusing round Greece.

Just a though

Mad Gary
Old 06 November 2002, 21:41   #5

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Trailing boat

Alan

please can you give us some more info on how long it takes you to trailer to south of france, what boat / tow car

I would love to have use of my rib in somewhere hot

Manos

How long did it take you to trailer to greece !!!! again what boat / tow car

cheers
Old 06 November 2002, 21:47   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Brilliant idea, but think we would need to find a rib with an awning because its going to be hot, perhaps a camel boat then with a nice Optimax, hey Wavehumper?

Alan P would probably want to go by water afterall Monaco is only a 100 hours.

Manos seriously though whats the route through Euroland and how long does it take. How much for diesel and petrol ?

Pete
Old 07 November 2002, 06:31   #7

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Quote:
Originally posted by Garygee
And now for the really mad bit

How long a trip would it be all the way by RIB
Di and I would be up for the whole run by RIB, Gary. Sounds good to me.
Old 07 November 2002, 07:39   #8

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
THANKS FOR THE RESPONCE GUYS!!

First of all I would like to thank you all for your responce (..and I thought I was the ONLY MAAAAD person here )

Reading all the comments I can reply as follows:

a. Trailling a RIB on Motor Ways in Europe one can do about 60 miles/hr no mre (is not safe). The trip involves crossing France and Italy (is the quickest route). The slow part is going over the Alpes (very nice senery) and via the Tunnel De FeJus to Torino. Then is all Motor Way to Ancona.
b. Time wise without russing it it will take 3 days to Ancona with two over night stops - usually I stop near St. Quentin (Ibis Hotel) and one at Chambery in Fance (Ibis Hotel) - NEVER stop in Italy. Finally 1 day crossing via ferry to Patras and 5 hrous drive to Cape Sounion where there is a small hotel (3 Star) with pool, air con, BAR!!! etc 100 mtrs from the beach where one can more his boat safely free of charge. Hotel prices for a 2-4 bed room Euro 40-50/night inc break fast (I think but we may get a discount if there too many of us)

NOW THE OTHER IDEA 'Sailing it to Greece'. It has crossed my mind too.
But I think is not going to be so enjoyable.

The reason, I use to have a sunseeker camargue (big boat 15mtrs) use to sail to Spain and Portugal. The crossings were never smooth and we always had one or the other problem.
I believe sailing from the UK to Greece coast by coast will be more than 3000 miles and at that time wind/weather is unpredictable. Also fuel costs will be astronomical and finally the hours you put on the engine and servicing etc. Don't forget this will be a hol NOT an endurance course and NOT a race either.
However, if people want to do it (and you think you are experienced enough to undertake it) go ahead but count me out. I'll meet you in Greece guys.
Old 07 November 2002, 07:48   #9

... and something else

While I'll be in Greece I'll take some photos of the placeand some of the islands (closest being 3 miles away from the main land) so you can see what is like.
Also if you are all serious about this we need to get together at some point and start planning it.
Look at what are the requiremnts for boating in Greek waters, plan the journey and have an itinerary for visiting (sailing) to places in Greece.
Old 07 November 2002, 08:43   #10

Fuel and Other Costs UK to Greece with a trailer

Fuel (I have a Daihatsy Fourtack TDL) and need about between 5-6 tanks of 40 ltrs diesel one way towing the boat. (Next year hopefully will have a 5 ltr Ford Explorer- Daihatsu tooooo noisy).
Prices for diesel in France and Italy betyween Euro 0.78-0.88 cents/ltr on the motor ways (or about £0.45-0.50p/litre max). Uleaded has the same price as diesel in Europe.
Tolls with a 7 mtr trailer are not than much may be 100 euros each way excluding Tunnel de Frejus at 45 euros each way.
Ferry crossings it depends on the deal we can strike with the Fast Ferries Line (they are high speed cats) and also depends on what cabin one wants to have lux, 1st, deck?? etc. Ferry crossing about 11 hours Ancona to Patras and is VERY COMFORTABLE.
Euro tunnel with a 7 mtr trailer will have to check again. Also here we may be able to strike a deal if we are a few together.
Ibis hotels 55 euros per night 2ble room exc breakfast in France at any Ibis hotel (Ibis is VERY Basic but clean and comfortable).
Hotel accomodation in Cape SOunion I have mentioned. But also on the islands is on the same levels as in Cape Sounion.
Old 07 November 2002, 10:15   #11

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
The other angle Manos would be to fly out to Greece and charter a RIB out there. Is that something you could facilitate with your contacts?
Old 07 November 2002, 11:35   #12

Alan

That is another good idea. However, as far as I know there is only one compnay that provides that service 'MOSTRO' and is VERY expenssive.
I had a look last summer for a friend from the UK and for say a 5 mtr RIB (VERY BASIC with 100 ltrts fuel a 75 bhp Merc o/b) they wanted something like Euros 200-300/day.
I think they just hire RIBs to Motor Yachts rather than to individuals.

THIS IS FOR ALL
Please bare in mind that in Greece sailing with any type of craft is very controlled by the National Coast Guard. You need certain life saving equipment o/b depending how far from the shore one will be, life raft (not the type we know in the UK costs Euro 50), aux engine, 2 anchors, lots and lots of ropes life jackets, etc etc similar to what we carry o/b in the UK.
I will give you a list if any one is interested.

However, since I'll be in Greece in a few days I will make some inquiries. You never know something may have changed.
Will let you know.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:26   #13

If you want to have a look @ the places in Greece

If you want to have a look @ the places in Greece there are lots and lots of photos @ this link

http://www.mattbarrett.net/photos/
Old 07 November 2002, 16:08   #14

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Guys...

Like I said before. Sailing in Greece is a h.... of experience.

Remember the SOC when she sailed south of Crete ? It was one of the few times when the crew ENJOYED cruising.
I' m in. Maybe not for all the time, but I'll be there.

Sailing all the way to Greece though, is out of question. I know a guy who made this trip the other way around. Don't know the exact route he followed, but I'm sure that he used a river network to reach the notrh coast of France. Then he crossed the English chanell and participated to some races there, taking good places. Any way it's a VERY EXPENSIVE journey.

The idea of renting a rib in Greece is not so good either, as there aren't more than one or two renting companies and I'm sure that they charge multi figure numbers. Not mentioning that you won't have YOUR rib in the photos.

I sure don't have Manos experience on this, but I am confident that HIS way is the best.

If you make this trip DON'T FORGET to take many photos of the convoy crossing the Alpes.

Manos said that he will be in Greece for 2 or 3 weeks. LET'S HOPE he has this Canon in his bags, OR I 'LL BE VERY DISAPOINTED.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 16:18   #15

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Imagine something like...

this
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kounderos.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1332  

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 20:35   #16
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Re: Alan

Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
Please bare in mind that in Greece sailing with any type of craft is very controlled by the National Coast Guard
Surely this doesn't apply to visiting foreign flagged boats does it?

John
Old 07 November 2002, 20:46   #17

Hi John

State rules do apply to all vessels (Greek Coast Guard is the equivalent of MSA-Marine safety Agency- in the UK and they also police the Greek teritorial waters. If one is found to be way out of line they can arrest and procecute). Fines are quite high if one does not obey the rules.
My RIB in Greece is under British flag/registry and is stipulated in shipping law (Carriage of Goods by Sea Act 1971) that a vessel being in a foreign country (i.e. not the country of its registry) should at all times obey and obide by the rules/laws and regulations of that country she is visiting.
In any case the rules for small craft in Greece are quite sensible and I don't think that they are any different to what any one who respects the sea environment wouldn't do.
i.e. we all have VHFs and VHF licence, have insurance, carry life jackets, have 2 anchors, have a floating anchor, have ropes, fly the sate flag, have an ICC, have an aux engine, have flares, have the boat papers with us etc etc.
Old 07 November 2002, 21:15   #18

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
The Greek coastguards have some pretty butch Ribs. If I remember correctly they are 8 metre Oceans with a couple of Merc 250's on the back.

If we are all going overland we may well get a sizeable discount if we booked our ferrytickets as one group.
Old 08 November 2002, 07:13   #19

Good Morning WAVEHAMPER

The Greek Coastguard has now purchased some new 12 mtr Oceans with 2x500 bhp doing 70+ knots. Will postr photos next week sometime.
If we dcecide that we are definately going overland we definately ask for discounts from Ferries, Eurotunnel, hotels etc.
But let us see 1st who wants to come.
Any short of definate entries.
By the way we can discuss dates if Sept is not good for all. But in my opinion is the quite month, low season so cheap tickets, kids at school, most tourists have gone back to work, and also one finds completely empty beaches Weather is hot 30-35 dec C and wind may vary. Usually in the Aegean is Meltemi time however, last summer Aegean was like a pond with the occasional NNE meltemi winds. Last Sept was THE BEST MONTH.
Also June to mid July is good same situation as above with meltemi not in the force and calm seas.
Have a think about.

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW: Meltemi is a NNE wind force 4 up to force 6+ (sea state wavy 0.50-1.50 mtrs max) that starts usually from beg/mid August and carries through beg/mid Sept.
Currently this patern has changed to Meltemi starting mid July and ending mid/end Aug. The wind picks up at about 9-10 am and dies down at about 5-6 pm.

Old 08 November 2002, 12:25   #20

OLYMPIC MARINA

Olympic Marina is located 2.5 kms from Lavrion and 2.5 kms from Sounion.
I have a meeting with the owners to discuss if we can get a discount if any of you who decide to visit Greece want to have the RIBS in the marina.
There are shops not only in the marina but also in the village of all shorts.
If you need repairs there in the village thare are a Yamaha and a Merc authorised repair work shops, 3 ship chandlers, fibre glass repair work shop, 3 pontoon reair work shops.
There also plenty of Tavernas, bars and you are only 60 kms away from Athens if you fancy a visit.
I have attached a photo of the marina. The island accross is Makronisos (about 3 miles away)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wide.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1336