Old 12 July 2003, 17:52   #1

Length: no boat
4.5 - 5.0 m rib opinions

Summer greetings from Finland!

Making plans for the next season and it seems to be the time to take a step into the more serious ribbing. I'm thinking 4,5 - 5,0 m rib with 40 - 60 hp 4-stroke outboard. Ribcraft 4,8 is obviously a great boat and it has made a good reputation. If comparing the pricing of the Ribcraft and for example the Humber, there is some difference.

I'd like to hear (see) opinions of the Humber ovners. Have you been happy with your Humber or is there something negative to say. Especially the 4.5 - 5.0 m (5.5 m) is the size that interests me but of course, all ribsters who have experiences of the Humber ribs, I'd like to know what do you think.

Opinions and experiences of the other makes of the boats are also welcome.

Jari
Old 14 July 2003, 07:10   #2

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Humber 5.3 Attaque

Hi Jari,

I have a Humber 5.3m Attaque with a 90Hp Mariner 2 stroke. I have a 13.5" by 19" pitch stainless prop fitted. Which the performance is well suited to my needs, cruising, playing with the water toys and learning to wakeboard.

I have only owned this boat since November 02 and was bought second hand. I am very pleased with it so far!

Have had numerous trips out on the Solent and in various weather conditions, flat calm to force 6 plus. This craft has given me a lot of confindance in the boats ability to handle rough water.

Once I have the boat fully kitted out, I will hopefully be going further afield, France & Channel Islands.

I would certainly recommend a Humber again, although in my opion a rib less than 5m for cruising, rough water, is a bit too uncomfortable for driver and crew.

Happy Ribbing
Kevin AKA
Old 14 July 2003, 13:47   #3

Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
My 5.5 Extreme is for sale at a very reasonable price!!

It is a very good little boat, but, to my mind, atrociously finished; poor fit and finish, fittings not lined up etc etc. All sorted now though.

Takes the sea well, and is very quick now I've re-propped it.

Most Humber owners are very loyal, but I, and a friend who bought the 5m demo Extreme found the company's approach to customers, and attention to detail somewhat lacking.

Shame really, as she is NOW a good, well equipped little boat. Only for sale as I want a bigger one.
Old 14 July 2003, 14:28   #4

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Humber

If you go to the thread

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...0&pagenumber=1

you will see some thoughts on Humber boats.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2003, 12:57   #5

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
I have bought 9 Humbers over the past 6 years, 3 for me, 4 for club rescue boats and 2 for friends. They always delivered on time with everything as ordered, although the build quality was a bit basic on the earlier ones - much better on the last one last year.
The smallest range is the Assault. This is probably the best value small rib on the market. We use a 4.3, 4.7, 5.0 and 5.5 for rescue for dinghy racing and marklaying. Very strongly built ands very stable at rest, but can be a bit of a hard ride at speed in short steep seas due to very low tubes - not a problem for rescue. I had a turquoise 5.3 which as great for towing rings etc.

The next is the Destroyer. I did the RB4 round Britain in a 5.0. Again a very strong boat, this time a bit wider and much better in short steep seas. A good boat and agin good value for the volume - we use a 5.8 for diving. Good when driven moderately but can be a bit back-jarring if you land with theboat not square - the hull is quite flat each side.

The next is the Ocean Pro (also sold as the Attaque with a narrower beam). I had a 5.5 and it was VERY strongly bult plus the best ride of the lot. Only slight problem you need plenty of HP to make them go quick as they are multi-chined and heavy. Throughly recommended.

You can get better looking and faster ribs but for the money they are hard to beat.
Old 18 July 2003, 06:44   #6

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Humber 5.3 Attaque

Hi Jari,

Perhaps we could start a Humber Owners Club

I second that Alan.

Happy Hunting
Old 18 July 2003, 18:58   #7

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
I'll third that, Alan too

My 6m Destroyer is good, and so far seems to be very solidly built. I have found the difference from 5m to 6m in length amazing with handling waves - whilst before in my old 5m Narwhall, I'd end up jumping lots, this thing will do the same upto about 20knots, and then it starts slicing through the chop as opposed to jumping (if you get what I mean!!).

HOC - that sounds interesting.... I know there are a few Humbers down here - counted 7 of them in Haverfordwest the other evening, ranging from 5m upto 9m

Have fun,

-Alex
Old 18 July 2003, 19:03   #8

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Humber Owners Club

Put me down as well.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2003, 20:32   #9

Thank you

Thanks, so far, for the comments and opinions.

I've learned (from articles and so on) that the quality of the Humber boats is now better than some years ago.
One reason to set the sights to Humbers direction is of course the reasonable pricing. That's partly the reason why I posted this question. I'll continue my studies to find a good, reasonably priced and, the most important thing: suitable rib for me.
Maybe even a second hand boat.

Jari
Old 18 July 2003, 22:12   #10

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Hello Jari,

That was the primary reason for me going for Humber compared with the likes of Ribcraft.
For an almost identically spec'd boat, I was looking at approx £3k difference in price between the Destroyer 6m, and the Ribcraft 5.85, both with the same engine etc...
I will admit that I've had a few teething problems with my Humber, but nothing that hasn't been sorted by their excellent support in Hull.

-Alex
Old 19 July 2003, 21:21   #11

Town: Pagham Harbour
Boat name: Scallywag
Make: Arran 16
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu
I've got a Humber Destroyer 6m with 90hp excellent boat been really pleased with it.

I will join the Humber club.

Martin