Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
Cruise to Calais

Daniel,
as you are a Kent Coast local, I will take your recommendation on which slipway to use. I have checked out boat launch and there are details of the Dover slipway on there.
I could not see any info on the Ramsgate slip you mentioned.

I will check the almanac for details of the Harbour entrance and mooring options.

Any of you guys taken your Rib to Calais? Your advise would be much appreciated.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2003, 22:53   #2

Town: Ongar, Essex
Make: Avon 620
Length: 6.2
Engine: mercury 135 Optimax
If you do the calais trip apart from your passport what other paperwork do you need to carry if any?
Old 19 November 2003, 22:58   #3

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
OKay, when?

Folkestone is, i beleive, a horriable slip. I've never used it but so many people tell me how bad it is that i have never tried.

Dover is not a bad slip - there is free trailer parking but you do need to go some distance with the car not to be on a meter or pay and display. I can reverse well enough for it not to be a problem, and you're boat is smaller so that should be OK. I would not fancy it with a 8m boat though. The problem here is (mentioned on precious thread) it's quite exposed to certian conditions, and i don't know the slip well enough to say what they are.

Ramsgate is not an official slip, but it's 99% sheltered and therefore quite attractive. There is no official arrangment for trailers either. Technically it costs £30 to launch here i think. It's easily HW +/- 4.5hrs, maybe +/- 5hrs and possiable to recover at LW but not advised.

Margate (it's getting further) offers free car and trailer parking, is sheltered except from the NW (rare round here) but is only HW +/- 1.5hrs.

There is a 5th choice, the little known Sandwich slip. I would only advise HW +/- 1hr and nothing larger than my boat. The sea is 10mins down river. Free trailer parking and pay and display for the cars.

I await opinions...
Old 19 November 2003, 23:00   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Care
If you do the calais trip apart from your passport what other paperwork do you need to carry if any?
Proof of ownership i beleive which means an SSR certificate of registration and the number stuck to the boat.

You also (probally) need an ICC for the skipper.

I would say both of these are 'in theory' and unlikely to be cheked but best to have them i think.

Oh, and a tank full of fuel
Old 19 November 2003, 23:05   #5

How about next weekend - 29th / 30th November?

I am infact off to france for a few days (work ) in a few hours so will have to leave the tide checking etc. to you... will prob. not be on-line 'till Sunday / Monday.

I would have thought Michael Albury (posts on here somewhere) from Herne Bay might fancy this too... i'll e-mail him.
Old 20 November 2003, 06:32   #6

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Care
apart from your passport what other paperwork do you need to carry if any?
Daniel, you've forgotten a couple of bit of paper! Full list should be:
SSR certificate (and number on boat)
Original invoice showing VAT paid (or purchase history)
Insurance certificate
ICC
VHF (SRC) license (if radio fitted/carried)

I think that's it.
Then if you fly a red ensign (and tricolour courtesy flag) you should stay out of any administrative bother.
Old 20 November 2003, 06:59   #7

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Richard B

Daniel forgot to mention Herne bay slip way, its free to launch and this time of year the car park costs £2 for 24 hours parking and the parking is a dedicated car park for the slip way, the slip way is wide and not to steep and its sheltered inside the harbour, the amenities are great with pubs, a great cafe and public loo's, the slipway is 3+ hours either side of high water (though i've got in and out with a lot less)

Suppose the extra little bit of distance will add but weighed up against £30 to launch !!

Personnaly i dislike the slipway at Dover, its very narrow and very steep and if you get it wrong it could be nasty, Folkestone is pretty much the same and has a bend right at the top, plus if tends to be full each side with fisherman rubbish and netting.

Richard
Old 22 November 2003, 21:57   #8

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Quote:
Originally posted by Bilge Rat

Personnaly i dislike the slipway at Dover, its very narrow and very steep and if you get it wrong it could be nasty,
I don't like it either, I had to use it on a rough day and it wasn't enjoyable.
Old 26 November 2003, 10:10   #9

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
The problem you have at Calais is getting ashore unless you lock into the basin which of course is restricted by tide;there are buoys outside the basin but you will need a dinghy to get ashore and remember to hoist it onto the platform at the bottom of the steps since there can be a scend in the port which might otherewise damage the dinghy.Also there can be some turbulence from the basin sluices.

Although its not ideal for a short visit I have done it on a number of occasions without trouble -you might feel the boat is a bit vulnerable with few other craft about this time of year.

Boulogne is not that much further and is not tide restricted although the "marina" is not that inviting especially at low water .I have tied up there for a few hours without charge and the town centre is closeby.

Petrol is a problem at both Calais and Boulogne -a taxi and a cuople of jerries will be the order of the day
Old 26 November 2003, 13:57   #10

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
boulogne calais trip!!

i would like to come but have not got the correct cert for vat,
where do i get one and can anyone tell me about the number on the boat that daniel mentioned please.
i have a 2.8 avon and will take it along .
anyone out there please give me a note here re paperwork.

i have icc,
insurance docs,
passport.
but thats it!
thanks mike.
Old 26 November 2003, 13:58   #11
JCW

Phil,
thanks for the Info. I was coming to the conclusion that with short days now the trip to calais would be a bit of a rush in a day.
From what you say Boulogne would be a better option.

Daniel,
with respect to the slipways it sound like Dover should be avoided. Herne bay which I have seen is a good slip or Ramsgate which I have no experience of should be our choices.
From the info above I propose to arrange the trip when we have longer days.

However, let me know when you plan to get out next, and meet up at Herne bay for a blast.

JCW
Old 26 November 2003, 14:07   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Re: boulogne calais trip!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mike
have not got the correct cert for vat,where do i get one and can anyone tell me about the number on the boat that daniel mentioned please.
Mike, don't panic...
I've lifted the SSR application form link from Danile's website: http://grayswish.rib.net/useful/SSR.pdf
As for the VAT cert, what you should ideally have is the original VAT receipt for your boat. If you're in the same situation as me, ie 2nd hand boat and no original receipt, just take a copy of your receipt (you did get one, didn't you?) and bluff the French if you need to (tell'em it's a secondhand boat - "bateau d'occasion"). I bet you won't need any paperwork in reality.

Sorted.
Old 26 November 2003, 22:24   #13

I think the VAT receipt thing only applies when you return to the UK, and if the boat looks brand new. I could be wrong though. I also think the SSR superseeds it.

I had looked up Calis in the Almanac and we would have a 2.5 - 3hr window to get into the lock and back out on one tide - still possiable this time of year then i think? But better to stay overnight there.

Had also decided Boulogne might be better, although i've never been there - not even in a big boat!

My final conclusion was, however, Dunkerque would be the best place to go "for lunch" especially from Ramsgate area, weather permitting it's only 45nm (all open sea though), they list Petrol (can anyone confirm this) although my Theoretical range is about 200 miles.

What do you think Mike, JCW? What are your fuel ranges?
Old 27 November 2003, 20:30   #14
JCW

Daniel,
Ramsgate - Dunkerque it is then. Do you have any pictures of the slip at Ramsgate? Do I need a licence from Thanet council for launching?

Our Range is theoretically 180Nm in the 5.8 Ribcraft (40 Gallon tank), or the 4.8 gives 100 - 200 miles depending if I carry 2 or 4 five gallon tanks. So the distance is not an issue.
I need to get a SSR for the 5.85 though.

I an unable to make this weekend, however I will come back to you with some dates.

Mike, it would be great if you can come along too

JCW