Old 13 December 2005, 04:07   #1

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
have you heard of "Atlantic Rigid Corp" RIBs?

I have a friend who want to get information and do some repairs on an 18-19' RIB made by "Atlantic Rigid Corp" of Rhode Island USA, hull number AOR18016A292. It has bladder type tubes similar to an HBI (an inner tube with a seperate outer cover that is zipped into place)..the inner bladders appear to be some type of fabric, are leaking, and he wants to learn the proper method to repair them. Can anyone direct me to a source of information for these boats?

I don't find any info from a Google search and am hopeful someone knows more than the computer. There is an old phone number listed on the ID plate of 401-683-6588, but that is no longer listed for a boat company.

Any info would be appreciated.
Bryan
Old 13 December 2005, 11:41   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Area code 401 is Rhode Island, so you need to search in that area, maybe try chamber of commerce!
Old 13 December 2005, 15:54   #3

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
you're in luck. i've done hours of research as i recently bought a 1989 HBI rib. mine turns out to be a prototype put together by mercury/quicksilver with an HBI boat. they spent alot of time and effort installing an inboard jet system. i don't think anyone uses the innertube with the cover setup anymore.
i talked to the owner of HBI and he remembers my particular boat and had some suggestions for repairs of tubes.
he said to use a swimming pool liner repair kit as it is the same material. i found, however that with two larger punctures, i needed to form a glob all around and inside the puncture hole with a product called aqua seal(found at RIB dealership). then after it dries, put a patch over that. all the patches on mine seem to be holding and my son is bouncing on the tubes to test them for me
For my boat, HBI still has extra covers for the tubes wich they will sell for 1000 dollars each. i suggest testing the boat and tubes on the water for strength first before buying a new cover for a possibly worthless system. they do not make bladders anymore.
They said they would be happy to retube mine in hypalon for the "bargain" price of 5600 dollars! So basically you need to salvage those tubes.

good luck
andy
Old 13 December 2005, 16:07   #4

oh, my cover slides on through channels. no zippers.
Old 14 December 2005, 17:09   #5

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
thanks very much for the quick and helpful info. The boat my friend has was not manufactured by HBI, but sounds like your solution is worth a try - I'll pass along the info. I met someone yesterday who said he was familiar with this particular boat, and said the inner-tubes were made of "blown-neoprene" - fabric was enclosed the proper shape in an airtight conatiner then neoprene was forced (blown) against the frabric from the inside to make the airtight seal. He said hypalon glue would work but that maximum pressure could probably never be acheived again. I give my friend this info also and wish him good luck with the project. thanks again for the advice and info.
Bryan
Old 14 December 2005, 22:22   #6

definately not the same material.

wish him luck.
andy
Old 16 December 2005, 17:38   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrider
Any info would be appreciated.
Bryan
From Google:

Atlantic Rigid Corp
1811 VIRGINIA AVE
ANNAPOLIS, MD
21401-4033
Phone: 410-268-6622

Don't know if they're still in the boat business.

jky