Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 April 2006, 22:09   #1

Length: 6m +
Ribnet members: the most helpful people in boating?

I would like to share with you my experience of Ribnet members, in aiding myself fulfil a promise to my father for easter...

On Friday, after working with Greyhound, I recovered her on my own at crosshouse slip, and set off for Kent. My plan was to be in Gravesend for 2000hrs, just in time for dinner, and to spend a weekend ribbing, so that my Father could see the rib he bankrolled.

I rv'd with laser (Rich) in Portsmouth, helped him rig the University rib for the road, which he was also towing up, and we set off for Kent. Running a little late by this stage (it was about 1915 when we left) I phoned Mum, and told her to hold the dinner!

On the A3, as laser and I moved out in tandem to overtake a lorry, Rich called over the intercom that there appeared to be some smoke coming from my right tyres. I radioed back that it was probably kicking up some debris on the road: nothing to worry about. After about 10s, it became apparent that actually my right trailer wheel was sparking, and starting to smoke.

We pulled off at the Horndean junction, to inspect. 2 ribs now by the roadside just after a main road junction felt a little exposed! I called the AA, explained by problem (beliving myself to be eligble for trailer cover to take the boat to Kent if they couldn't fix the problem) and agreed that we would move to morrisons car park where it would be a little safer.

My wheel now wobbling dangerously, we set off at about 15mph for Morrisons, where we kicked back and ordered some Pizza while waiting for the AA. I phoned Andy Stevens (Paintball Andy!) to see if he was in, and recieved a kind offer of boat storage for the weekend. I'd already by this stage assumed a failed bearing, so phoned one Pete8.5 to ask if he knew anyone that might have a spare bearing that I could cadge at short notice (a long shot I know!).
Pete was most helpful, but agreed with my impending realisation that I was not going to be able to get hold of a bearing at 8pm on Good Friday. I then waited for the AA man, and suddenly remembered that when I bought the boat, Andy might have given me some spare bearings. After a tortured route to get Andy's phone number, we made contact, and Andy couldn't have been more helpful. Yes, he did give me some spare bearings, and he even told me how to replace the others. So, I despatched Rich to go get the spare bearings, from the box of boat bits in Pompey.

Meanwhile, having refused his offer of a £150 tow to Kent, the AA man helped me take off the old wheel, and punch out the bearing rings. We only found the outer bearing - all that was left of the inner one was a rusty shell. Scary sight - couldn't believe the wheel didn't come off. The AA man left me with instructions on how to change the bearing, and a dob of grease to put on the new one.

I then phoned Pete to tell him the good news, and was asked "where exactly are you". I told him where we were, and was amazed to hear "we're in Cosham, be with you in 15mins".

Pete and his other half pulled in, true to their word, about 5mins after Rich with the bearings. I asked why they happened to be in the area, and was told they'd actually left a party to come and help me out. They then proceeded to spend 2 hours with me, directing and helping me change the bearings. Pete was fantastic - limitless knowledge, and when we checked the other wheel, we found that the nut needed a fair amount of tightening! We replaced the right hand wheel bearing, and packed it well with Grease, and then cleaned and repacked the left hand one also.

The trailer towed noticeably better (!) after it's little shakeup in Morrisons car park, and we finally departed at 11pm. We then made it up to kent for about 1230am, where my Dad was suitably pleased with the rib. Both Greyhound and the Uni Rib adorned my front drive overnight, and this morning we launched them both from Gravesend for a bit of rain soaked ribbing. The grin on my Dads face when he wellied the engine on Greyhound and lept onto the plane was fantastic - I don't know what I'd have done if he hadn't liked the rib!!!

So, a huge thankyou to Andy Stevens for his offer of storage (and the number of the local pizza place!), laser for driving all the way to Kent with me, and sticking with me through the greasiest moments of a trailer bearing change, Andy Burns for fantastic telephone support, Sam from the AA for putting so much effort into persuading me that what I really wanted to do was upgrade my membership, and most of all to Pete and his other half (I am truly sorry I can't remember your name - memory like a sieve!) for coming out to a Morrisons car park on Easter Friday, and spending 2 hours guiding me through changing and adjusting my wheel bearings - thank you so much.

Just goes to show how helpful Ribnet members are, I am truly grateful, and would really hope to be able to do the same if anyone else ever needed it!
Old 15 April 2006, 22:54   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Jimbo.

You were 5 mins from full workshop facilities AND a spare set of bearings at my place!!

Well done for not just stumping up the £150.

Nasher.
Old 16 April 2006, 00:05   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Jimbo I totally agree with you about RIBnet people being the most helpful in the world. I recall a Friday night a few weeks back where you happened to bump into me in deepest darkest Pompey towing Cormorant. You gave up about an hour and a half of your Friday night to help me launch her then give me a lift back to the Camber.

In general I would say boaty people are very very friendly and helpful. I have been assisted numerious times by complete strangers, with things like getting a tow when my car got stuck in the mud recovering a boat, getting a tow back to the slip when my engine died etc etc.

Glad you got your bearings sorted in the end too
Old 16 April 2006, 09:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Jimbo.

You were 5 mins from full workshop facilities AND a spare set of bearings at my place!!

Well done for not just stumping up the £150.

Nasher.
Nasher,

I wish we'd known that at the time - we could have wasted some of your good friday too!

It wasn't a case of not stumping up the £150 - I couldn't have stumped it up if I'd wanted to!!

I think that friendliness isn't exclusive to Ribnet members actually - I think that across the boating world I've met some fantastic people who are always willing to help you out, however little they actually know you!
Old 16 April 2006, 10:44   #5
RJH

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
One thing that Jimbo didn't mention was that earlier on the same day he helped another Ribnet member. My (less than a year old Ribtec) had broken down for the 3rd time in the last year with fuel tank problems.

I realised something was wrong after the best part of an hour out mucking about in Southampton water and was trying to get back into the Itchen when the engine finally coughed and died. Within five minutes I spotted an orange rib heading back up and with one wave it altered course towards me.

Jimbo kindly and cheerfully offered to demonstrate to his Level 2 students a live tow in action and within half an hour I was back at Ocean Quay.

My long awaited Easter weekend of boating with the family was ruined but it's good to know there are Ribnet members out there who are always willing to help.
Old 16 April 2006, 12:26   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH
One thing that Jimbo didn't mention was that earlier on the same day he helped another Ribnet member. My long awaited Easter weekend of boating with the family was ruined but it's good to know there are Ribnet members out there who are always willing to help.
Cool, nice one Jimbo.

A momento of the evening,

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jimbo2.JPG
Views:	2076
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	18485  
Old 16 April 2006, 12:56   #7
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
.Just goes to show how helpful Ribnet members are,

yus weer a verry elpful bunnch ov nobburs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo

We have, on the syllabus:

Knowledge of:
Care of trailer bearings,
yew nead too gow onn wan ov dem levvel 2 corsis

gaRf
Old 16 April 2006, 14:35   #8
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Glad you got it all sorted. Been there do that got the t shirt. Would avoid at all cost!!!!

You are definitely right about RIBnet. Loads of friendly advice and warm welcomes!

Chris
Old 16 April 2006, 17:43   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Welcome to the joys of towing!!
p.s. Your cheque in the post so you can buy another set of bearing for the return journey . I can recommend Clackett Wood Services on m25 bearing changed there last year !
Old 16 April 2006, 18:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish
yew nead too gow onn wan ov dem levvel 2 corsis
No no, I don't think you understand. I recognised my deficiency, and Friday night was simply an experience gaining exercise...
Old 16 April 2006, 18:50   #11

Cheers RJH, only too happy to help. I really hope you get your fuel tank sorted asap - as much as I enjoyed talking to you under tow, I'm sure it's not something you wish to repeat in the near future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH
One thing that Jimbo didn't mention was that earlier on the same day he helped another Ribnet member. My (less than a year old Ribtec) had broken down for the 3rd time in the last year with fuel tank problems.

I realised something was wrong after the best part of an hour out mucking about in Southampton water and was trying to get back into the Itchen when the engine finally coughed and died. Within five minutes I spotted an orange rib heading back up and with one wave it altered course towards me.

Jimbo kindly and cheerfully offered to demonstrate to his Level 2 students a live tow in action and within half an hour I was back at Ocean Quay.

My long awaited Easter weekend of boating with the family was ruined but it's good to know there are Ribnet members out there who are always willing to help.
Old 17 April 2006, 20:45   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote