Old 27 May 2006, 16:06   #1

Town: Newby Bridge
Boat name: Alfie
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp
So what is the well dressed Ribster wearing?

I'm about to pick up my new rib next week and as a newbie I wondered what most people wear when they go out on their RIBS?

When I did my level 2 course I wore jeans, waterproof coat & wellies and stayed dry, but that was only because I didn't have to wade out to launch and recover and very little water came into the RIB as it was a calm day and it didn't rain.

I'd like to buy some clothing to keep my dry in all weathers and in different launching situations, should I be looking at waders or will a good pair of wellies do me? I don't really want to put a dry suit on every time I go out but neither do I want to spend a couple of hours on the water in wet clothes, can anyone offer some suggestions?
Old 27 May 2006, 16:18   #2

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Lifejacket/buoyancy aid then - breathable drysuit with wellies attached and undersuit between it and you. Or on that one day of summer per year-hat to stop your head burning , T shirt, shorts, sandals and an all over lobster red tan (and a bundle of warm clothes to put on when you realise its colder at sea than on land). If I'm goin fishing a floatation suit instead of the drysuit cos latex seals get a bit uncomfy after a day sitting about waiting for some fish. Some Oakley goggles or a helmet with visor are a neccessity if it rains cos high speed raindrops are like needles in the eyes.
Old 27 May 2006, 16:26   #3
ADS

Town: Dorset
Im able to lauch my boat without getting wet, so in the Rib I tended to wear breathable over trousers and jacket with auto life jacket and some gill wellies. In the summer generally a wet suit and buoyancy aid due to being in and out of the water the whole time, swimming and on the ringo etc.
Now that we have a hardboat though theres no need to go out dressed like Buzz Lightyear/ Ray Mears! Tempting to go out in a sleeping bag, although I wouldn't be able to use the foot throttle then
Old 27 May 2006, 16:46   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Musto jacket, several thin cotton long-sleeved t-shirts underneath, pair of rowing leggins, then jeans and offshore trousers over the top, 2 pairs of socks, wellies, crewsaver gloves and Gecko helmet. I have a drysuite as well but prefer the jacket and trousers as it's easier to take stuff of your top when you get too hot or need the loo, and I find it warmer. The big collar on the jacket keeps the wind out too.
Old 27 May 2006, 18:37   #5

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength
If I'm goin fishing a floatation suit instead of the drysuit cos latex seals get a bit uncomfy after a day sitting about waiting for some fish. Some Oakley goggles or a helmet with visor are a neccessity if it rains cos high speed raindrops are like needles in the eyes.
Dave, Get rid of the latex!!! the latest stretch neoprene is sooo much better, the best 90 squids I spent lat year, IMVHO.

regards

Brian
Old 27 May 2006, 19:20   #6

Hi Brian yep we have decided the next lot of drysuits we have will be neoprene seals- have you had yours put onto a suit that used to have latex?
(its getting like a fettish forum on here with all this rubber!).
I launch without getting wet but prefer a drysuit plus buoyancy aid for cruising or training just in case one day I have to go into the water for someone. Like the other day when we pulled a girl (not one of ours)outa the water after she fell off the jetty Having a suit and a buoyancy aid as opposed to a l/j meant I could go into the water without a cold shock and without the jacket going off when I needed to be mobile.
Old 27 May 2006, 19:23   #7

by the way Fred, welcome to the forum. You caught the rib bug then! What boat did you settle on eventually.
Old 27 May 2006, 19:31   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Denim and cotton are poor when wet. A pair of wet denim jeans will take the heat out of your legs like you wouldn't believe if you're in a breeze. To stay warm it's wool or fleeces and something to keep the wind out.
Old 27 May 2006, 19:51   #9

Dave, Yes the suit was previously fitted with latex OThree dry suits in weymouth fitted the Neo seals brilliant material comfortable all day I wear the suit whilst training for the same reasons as you, only had to go into the water once to pick someone up who had been cought in a rip off mudeford

Regards

Brian
Old 27 May 2006, 19:52   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
to answer your question about the slipway then I'd go for waders (if you didn't want to wear a drysuit). I'ts a downright bummer when the water comes over the top of your wellies.

I tend to wear shorts and a pair of flip flops on the Slipway but it does get cold in the winter so between December and April I try to wear my drysuit . If you are buying yourself a drysuit might I suggest you get yourself one with a ' comfort zip.......hmmm suits you sir!'

I always take dry clothes /waterproofs with me in case I get wet (shortly follwed by getting cold) If I go out and it's going to be a rough day I put me drysuit on if it's going to be a nice day then I wear less protective clothing! If you are going to buy waterproofs then make sure you buy ones that are above coastal grade.

don't go out underdressed so layer your clothing so you can whip a bit off if you start to overheat and remember to take sunscreen with you as your under attaack from three elements, reflected light, direct sunlight and windburn

I am not a great one for dressing up, but I do like to wear my "I am with this idiot T shirt ,,,,,,when in close proximity to David Manning"

does your boat come with safety euipment or do you need any advice on that

you might find something lik this useful for storing the dry stuff
http://www.sailgb.com/p/sailing_hold..._roll_top_bag/
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2006, 20:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength
by the way Fred, welcome to the forum. You caught the rib bug then! What boat did you settle on eventually.
I went for a 5m Humber Assault which I'm buying off Jono. I'm picking it up next week-end so I'm sure you'll be seeing us soon at Knott-End!
Old 27 May 2006, 20:24   #12

Welcome to the mad house scousefreddy
I hope you enjoy the Humber, sold our 5m Attack last year and replaced her with a XS 550 (sorry Dave)

Regards

Brian
Old 27 May 2006, 20:55   #13

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower
Dave, Get rid of the latex!!! the latest stretch neoprene is sooo much better, the best 90 squids I spent lat year, IMVHO.

regards

Brian
Brian did you have the latex seals replaced with neoprene, as i have a
crew saver hyperdry (non breatherable) Anddark said they cant swap over as the seals are differant sizes, is there someone over your way who can do it.
Old 27 May 2006, 22:39   #14

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Denim and cotton are poor when wet. A pair of wet denim jeans will take the heat out of your legs like you wouldn't believe if you're in a breeze.
Too true! Never wear jeans or cotton garments out on a RIB... or when doing any other adventure sport. If you get even just a little bit damp, a light breeze can reduce your temperature to the point of hypothermia in a frighteningly short time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
To stay warm it's wool or fleeces and something to keep the wind out.
Yes, but I'm very sceptical about wool... if you fall in the water wearing a woollen garment, the weight of water it will absorb is so great it will make your recovery into the boat very difficult indeed.

My favorites are as follows:
Extreme conditions - polyester or nylon trackie bottoms and a fleece under a Ravenspring dry suit. Yellow offshore waterproofs in top of the dry suit if it's really bad, along with Gecko helmet.
Normal conditions - Dubarry boots, light trousers made from a synthetic material (Next do some great combat trousers which are quick drying and ideal) then a T-shirt and various layers on top. Add a set of lightweight "coastal" waterproof on top depending on how the weather and sea state looks. Scorpion or Bananashark cap on head, choice depends on the occasion!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2006, 17:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith
Brian did you have the latex seals replaced with neoprene, as i have a
crew saver hyperdry (non breatherable) Anddark said they cant swap over as the seals are differant sizes, is there someone over your way who can do it.
Roy http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....1&page=1&pp=10 my second post.

Regards

Brian
Old 31 May 2006, 21:58   #16

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Othree dry suites Weymouth
Will phone them
Many Thanks Roy
Old 31 May 2006, 23:03   #17
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I wear a cheap wetsuit with an old pair of gore-tex lined one-piece bike waterproofs in pretty much all weathers and I haven't been cold yet-even when I've been in up to my chest.

The water pressure on the waterproofs stops the rapid ingress into the wetsuit and when I get out of the water I warm up very fast and stay warm.

In extreme cases I bring out the 3-hole balaclava to go with the thermal snap-on hat.

Does that make me well-dressed?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2006, 23:30   #18

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
ScouseFreddy,

Welcome to someone who comes from my neck of the woods. Hebden Bridge. Where on earth do you use your RIB as I consider HB to be the exact centre of the UK and therefore the farthest from any sort of water.
Old 31 May 2006, 23:42   #19

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Never wear Jeans. And also my guide is also to dress for twice as bad as it is on shore and make the top layer waterproof.
Some eye protection is also worth it along with gloves.
Don't forget to waterproof your wallet/phone.
Old 01 June 2006, 00:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
ScouseFreddy,

Welcome to someone who comes from my neck of the woods. Hebden Bridge. Where on earth do you use your RIB as I consider HB to be the exact centre of the UK and therefore the farthest from any sort of water.
I'm picking my first RIB up this week-end so haven't been out in her yet. I'm hoping to use her in Knott-end-on-sea (only 40 minutes away), and maybe Preston, Liverpool/New Brighton and no doubt Wales. What about yourself? Don't tell me you use the canal?