Old 13 June 2006, 19:27   #1

Town: Bridlington, E Yorks
Boat name: Stormchild
Make: Ribquest 5.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115TUL
MMSI: 235030489
Ribquest - broken consul ?

My first RIB's a Ribquest LR5.8 with a Suzuki DF115TUL - took delivery (very happy boy) - June 2005 & the boat now has less than 100 hours on her.
Last weekend we were out both Saturday and Sunday off Bridlington & Flamborough in fantastic weather, but pretty choppy (Moderate) sea's. Cruising at about 18 - 25 knots where possible - it made for a couple of lively days out.
After one landing on Sunday PM there was a really loud & uncharactoristic bang. On stopping the boat, the immediate inspection didnt reveal any obvious damage however it felt like the steering was 'damped' throughout the rest of the run back - which was about 6 miles.
A steady run to safety ensued & on arrival back it was clear that all was not right & I immediately got the boat out of the water onto the trailer for a full inspection. The consul is a 2 piece unit & houses the 2 portable 22 litre fuel cans in the lower section, with the upper section accommodating the steering, electronic's, throttle set up etc. The consul set up is exactly as shown in the two images below. See :- http://www.ribquest.com/pages/boat_4.htm and http://www.ribquest.com/pages/boat_22.htm
The damage had occurred at the joining of these 2 sections with significant & clean breaking of the fixing points along both port & starboard sides for half the length of the consul seam from the aft point forward and a 4 - 5 inch crack below the joint at the front of the consul 'dry locker hatch' forward of the driving position on the front end of the consul.
With only slight back pressure on the steering wheel, (as a driver would exert through normal motion when driving in this sea state - the forward crack opened up to 5 mm and it was clear any further use of the boat, could end up with the upper half of the consul breaking away completely, leaving no fixed steering point or throttle control – an incredibly dangerous situation – especially with young kids on board. The sea state at the weekend was slight to moderate – but more so moderate in the afternoon.
Ribquest have been informed and have requested the boat back for inspection / investigation - The boats to go back this Friday.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of issue with a ribquest consul or similar 2 piece consul ?
– I’ll post comments on how ribquest deal with the situ…….watch this space.
Old 16 June 2006, 21:17   #2

Thumbs Up for Ribquest !

Returned the boat to Ribquest today.

Julian Goodhead – Sales Manager reviewed the damaged consul and advised Ribquest would replace it. No quibble & no issues what so ever.

Excellent service from Ribquest !
Old 16 June 2006, 22:13   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
Excellent service from Ribquest !
Great news
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2006, 22:15   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Good result

I imagine they wanted the old one back to see why it fell to bits too!
Old 16 June 2006, 23:05   #5

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
There is also a lesson to be learnt here (possibly)

The main reason I purchased a Ribcraft was the build quality - 2 part moulding like that IMO have no place on a vehicle that can be subjected to some serious pounding.

All the ribcraft consoles and seats are one peice and fully glassed into the boat no screws, bolts or fixings to cause any weak points.

If its gone once - it could very well go again - how many times are they going to give you a new console ???
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2006, 19:50   #6

Good question Roy.

I've taken some snaps of the damage but couldnt sus out how to get them online here. I've managed my technophobia and got help to get them on line on the 'ribsters' site.

Follow this link (& sign up) if your not a member to view. (its free), go to rib talk, then view the ribquest link.

http://ribsters.proboards22.com/index.cgi?

Ribquest have offered me the option of upgrading the consul to their new model @ cost price (£300) - shown here;

http://www.ribs4sale.com/index.php?p...ate&supplier=#

(Scroll down to the Ribquest LR58DRC)

The current consul on my boat isn't GRP, I took it for granted that it was. ( - in there lays a lesson.) Its actually a plastic called ARP / ARB. When I get to replacing this boat, it will definately be a consideration.

Steve
Old 18 June 2006, 20:26   #7

Town: Liverpool
Length: 10m +
is the new console grp?
i thought there consoles where polyethylene (same stuff as plastic fuel cans...)
Old 18 June 2006, 21:08   #8

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
As the old console failed in use and Ribquest have decided to fit an improved part on their new boats, that in itself may suggest that the original part was inferior and perhaps not fit for its intended use. In this case, I would expect a free upgrade to the new improved part. Asking you to fork out an extra £300 is out of order, in my view.
Old 18 June 2006, 21:12   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I've managed my technophobia and got help to get them on line on the 'ribsters' site.
In that case, all you've done it upload them to Imageshack and linked to them (the ribsters site doesn't have the capability to host images) so you can just link to them here.

< Edit: like this: >

John
Old 19 June 2006, 06:01   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai
As the old console failed in use and Ribquest have decided to fit an improved part on their new boats, that in itself may suggest that the original part was inferior and perhaps not fit for its intended use. In this case, I would expect a free upgrade to the new improved part. Asking you to fork out an extra £300 is out of order, in my view.
I'm with you in this one. The fact that the console has split is use would suggest a problem which is why Ribquest have updated the console. There was a recent MAIB report in which a console had come adrift in use and had resulted in the helm going over the side. It was not Ribquest I hasten to add, but it goes to show how cutting costs can affect safety. Keeping prices down doesn't always work

All very well for Ribquest not to quibble over replacing it - so they should, but to ask for £300 to upgrade is no service at all.

No, Ribquest should put the issue right.
Old 29 June 2006, 20:27   #11

I have confirmation from Ribquest. The damaged consul is to be replaced by their new commercial spec GRP consul, which is to be bespoke made & done at no cost to me. The parts are on order and Ribquest have assured me of communication week commencing Monday 03/07 re approx timescales. Looks like its going to be a months job or there abouts, having took it in on friday 16/06.
Old 16 July 2006, 20:26   #12

Collection date - Friday 21st July

All,

I pick up my refurb'ed boat this Friday.

Ribquest as agreed have replaced the damaged consul with a free upgrade to their new GRP commercial unit, replacing the 2 portable tanks with a 70 litre under consul unit & corresponding gadgets - all in time for our planned trip to Scotland for a week on Friday night.

On reviewing the damage, Ribquest made an early decision to provide the free upgrade & have kept me informed about developments to the boat - a white consul wasnt available as a stock item and one had to be made bespoke for me, so despite some things being beyond their control, they have managed to complete the work in time for our plans.

Thumbs up for Ribquest !

I'll post comments & pic's on our return..........
Old 03 August 2006, 20:20   #13

Thumbs up for ribquest !

Got back from our week in Scotland on saturday 29th July - excellent week - did 106.2 nautical miles on the GPS on the Tuesday with a run out from Loch Sunart round mull, ulva, & down to Staffa, then back to Gewart for a spot of lunch, called into Calgary bay on the run back, then back to the campsite @ resipole. In excellent weather, calm sea's and amazing scenery.......

My boat performed excellently throughout. The new consul is a significant improvementto the boat, I ve had the opportunity to really check the boat out and put it through its paces and I have to say Ribquest have done me proud. The boat was ready for collection on friday 21st - when they said it would be and there were no issues at all.

All in all - an unfortunate turn of events, - but I have to say - very, very good customer service from ribquest - Any niggling doubts I had, have well and truly been put to rest. Nice one ribquest !
Old 03 August 2006, 20:27   #14

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Good to hear that the saga ended so well
Old 03 August 2006, 21:26   #15

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
All in all - an unfortunate turn of events, - but I have to say - very, very good customer service from ribquest - Any niggling doubts I had, have well and truly been put to rest. Nice one ribquest !

Excellent news - good to hear of nice customer service. I'm sure that you've let them know that you are pleased as well. I know what its like in our line of work - we normally only hear from customers when things go wrong!!

Any chance of some photos of the upgraded console - I'm sure we'd all like to be a bit nosey

Andrew
Old 06 August 2006, 08:33   #16

Photo's on the way.......

I was helping a yottie on the visitors pontoon @ Arisaig - the wind was holding him on portside, to cut a long story short, I gave his bows a shove off and the steps I was holding onto werent secure, I took a dip in the drink - Not a problem and i was wearing my wetsuit and bouyancy aid - i was also wearing a bum bag with the camera in and its not working now. Need to wait for my chum to come back to use his card reader to get the photo's.

On the down side, on a good day the boat topped out @ 39 knots with the old screen & consul, with the bigger screen / windshield & wider consul I'm maxing out @ 37, but then 2 kots is nothing to worry about compared with the improvements made to the boat.
Old 06 August 2006, 09:14   #17

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Re: Photos on the way ...

Great ... thanks for that. Sorry to hear about the "swim" though . Is the camera a total write off?

What do you reckon the loss of top speed is though - extra weight or greater wind resistance from larger area?

Cheers
Andrew
Old 09 August 2006, 02:51   #18

The original consul was smaller and definately weighed less, it also had x2 portable 22 litre cans. The new ones much bigger, probably about twice the weight, its got a 75 litre inboard tanks with all the gubbin's and it's much wider with a larger screen, so I suspect its a combination of the two. Perhaps a bit of a strange way of describing it, but the whole boat feels firmer now.
Old 17 August 2006, 20:44   #19

Scotland Pic's & new console shown......

Got some pic's now.......
Old 20 August 2006, 06:19   #20

Finally....I'm over my technophobia?

Scotland pic's - more to follow

Stormchild.
Attached Thumbnails