Old 13 July 2006, 22:28   #1

Town: Ramsgate
Boat name: Windrider
Make: Quinquari Marine
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard 2 x ETEC225
Bitter Experience Tv Filming

Many will have heared by now of our dramas this morning off the Kent coast when we ended up needing a bit of help from the brave boys of the lifeboat. Following detailed risk assessments and tidal flow predictions we dropped a film team off on the Goodwin Sands to do their thing. We identified a safe recovery time for their extraction and added a fudge/safety factor but despite crew and coswain protestations the TV company we were contracted to provide a boat for refused to pack up and a 10 minute delay resulted in a swamping leading to massive boat damage and an MAIB report!!! Exonerated by both coasties and third party passengers (the local cricket team who were the subjects of the filming) the following points come to mind that might help others:
1. Stick to the plan and don't be swayed by overly enthusiatic TV directors who "just want to do 2 more pieces to camera".
2. Make sure your gear is 100%. Ours was and we needed most of it even going as far as preparing the liferaft for deployment with jobs dedicated to individuals. (Didn't need it in the end though!!!)
3. Keep bloody calm. When it is all going Pete Tong, a flapping skipper never helped anybody. ( Ours deserves a medal for neing cooler than a very cool thing straight from the fridge)
4. Keep evryone informed of what is happening. (Life boat ETA etc. Let them hear the radio traffic so they know help is coming
5. Rehearse with your contract party emergency procedures without scaring them, before you set sail.
6. On return, be proactive in ensuring true story is heared by as many as possible. By the time we got in the story had gone from a sunny day swamping leading to too much weight and resulting in engine submersion, had become near death event involving RIBs turning turtle, people being swept off in ripe currents and mass hysteria!!!
7. Finally (and a little tongue in cheek). Make sure your fags stay dry. The telephone calls immediately following return to shore from MAIB, MCA, POLICE, local papers etc will see 20 silkies going in about 5 minutes!!!
PS Thanks to the Ramsgate RNLI ILB and all weather boat. Very professional as ever. Hope you enjoyed the Stella!

PBI & Safety Boat Instructor,
Boatmaster & Owner
WINDRIDER RIBS
Tel: 01229 582811
Mob 07771 508610

EMail john@windrider-security.com
WINDRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 01:20   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Glad everything was ok - haven't been able to find anything on the news though!!! What sort of damage did you suffer - must have been bad as those Quinquari/Humbers are as tough as old boots!!!

Very interesting story - did the film crew keep filming? Would make great viewing knowing everyone is ok.
Old 14 July 2006, 08:24   #3

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Blimey

Glad everyone was ok, in the interests of safety (and being dam right nosey) how does a 10 Metre Humber get its engines submerged?

Shaggy
Old 14 July 2006, 08:40   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Breaking sea whils't trying to recover off the sands, I would guess. Did the boat get thrown over?
Old 14 July 2006, 09:00   #5

Nasty..

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-ne...0DB&m=7&y=2006

Shaggy
Old 14 July 2006, 10:59   #6

Humber 10m

Thanks all. Yup everyone in fine fettle. The boat was positioned head to wind with bow anchor and stern anchor out to keep her true and riding the 2 ft waves nicely. TV crew needed to walk out about 15 yards out up to knee deep and board over transom. (Engines up and off) Once estimated departure time had come and gone, we repositioned but whilst crossing the prevailing sea took 2 pretty big ones over the aft quarter which led to a starboard stall. Port continued to run and we re-established anchor site closer to shore but took another 2 or 3 biggies over the side. Decks now awash pumps running nicely and not really too concerned. Tide now running hard but lots of fannying being done on the beach delayed departure even longer which gave time for more water to join us in the boat. Finally all aboard but due to increased weight in boat and passengers anchors began to drag. Finally pushed side on to majority of waves and she just filled to the gunnels. Port stalled and DSC hit.
Damage sustained mainly to engines and shafts as we tried to drive her off in to shallow water. Hull fine, tubes 100% fine, internal damage sustained largely due to TV filming gantry being smashed around the boat. Sorry no film by the crew as their £80K camera was doing a good impression of Nemo's Nautilus. RNLI fiolmed it though from the fly bridge over the all weather boat.

Boatmaster & Owner
WINDRIDER RIBS
Mob 07771 508610

Old 14 July 2006, 13:09   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
It's amazing how incidents such as this are always 'added to' by the press. They have you as 'almost sinking'. Our 'Shark Harassment' became a joke once it had been through a few different press agencies. Actually it was a joke from the start.
Old 14 July 2006, 14:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers
It's amazing how incidents such as this are always 'added to' by the press. They have you as 'almost sinking'. Our 'Shark Harassment' became a joke once it had been through a few different press agencies. Actually it was a joke from the start.
And both local TV stations

On a serious note, how did the outboard manage to stall? I would have thought that they (Johnson?) should be able to take a good wave on the head without drawing in the water?

Or did you take on so much water that they ended up below water?

Shaggy
Old 14 July 2006, 17:52   #9

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Goodwins

Glad all well and that only minor repairable damage to boat, a boat can be replaced quite easy different for a human.
As for the Goodwins, well i have been out a couple of times and the problem is that the sea state can change very rapidily due to shallows of one side and deep water other.
I once tried to organise a charity do on them and when approached Ramsgate LB, they wisely didnt want to know and would not endorse or recommend anyone to go out there. Best craft for the job Large Hovercraft.
Paul
Old 16 July 2006, 13:09   #10

Final Chapter Goodwin Sands

Just to let you all know. 48 hours later boat is completely cleaned down, sparkling with polish, rewired where necessary and looking A! brand new. Engines still an issue but being sorted by Paul at Highway Marine Services in Sandwich on Monday. First indication suggest that they are fine if a little confused (ECUs appear quite p***ed off about the whole episode given the fault codes on the start up sequence!!)
Perhaps the boys in St Davids might like to include an advert that the only boat ever to survive a sinking (?) on the infamous and mysterious Goodwin Sands was a John Price built Quinquari 10m!!!!
Now where is that f***ing TV director......................

Boatmaster & Owner
WINDRIDER RIBS
Mob 07771 508610

Old 16 July 2006, 22:18   #11

Wet ECUs - maybe you should have had some old fashioned 2 strokes???
Old 17 July 2006, 18:25   #12

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
sands

sorry to hear of your mishap, reccomend long peice of rope round directors leg, when its time to go teach him water skiing if he's not aboard, if its the same lot as we had last year ask them where my expenses are and the excellent coverage as promised???
Old 18 July 2006, 11:39   #13

Town: Chatham
Boat name: Manx Viking
Make: Cobra
Engine: 2 x 115hp Mercury
MMSI: 235092563
Sorry to here about all your execitement Jon, sorry I was away and couldn't help.

Look forward to the video turning up on '999', Worlds Wildest Video's', etc etc.

Moose.
Old 19 July 2006, 23:39   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Wet ECUs - maybe you should have had some old fashioned 2 strokes???
Wise words! awful lot of North Sea botes running on twin yammie 90 2 strokes!
Problem is the ECU's give us the performance and economy ( therefore range) that we require
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2006, 08:30   #15

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Get some milspec connectors and remote mount em.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:01   #16

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Cartel

How about a "black list" of TV crews and Event Management companies that can't organise a piss up. When you receive a request for a quote from one on the list you double the going rate because you just know its going to be a cluster. There could even be a Ribnet Cartel to keep the profits high
Old 20 July 2006, 17:24   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
How about a "black list" of TV crews and Event Management companies that can't organise a piss up. When you receive a request for a quote from one on the list you double the going rate because you just know its going to be a cluster. There could even be a Ribnet Cartel to keep the profits high
She don't mention the word "Cartel" - Uncle Tony will extradite you to the US....
Old 21 July 2006, 08:14   #18

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I've been working in the film and TV business with boats for 10 years now - there is nothing they won't ask or even tell you to do - the secret is in knowing when to say no! At the end of the day the skipper takes responsibility for his actions, not the director! Now I am a co-ordinator as well it means I give instructions to other skippers - I also tell them to say no to me if they think I'm asking them to do too much or something potentially dangerous, I'm glad to say it's never happened!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2006, 09:16   #19

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Being in the broadcast industry, I look at producers in a similar light as politicians. They can promise you one thing but they dont stick to that, they do what they damn well like.

Old 03 August 2006, 10:46   #20

Statement Of Retraction - Bbc Coast

Following several emails and telephone calls directly resulting from my decisoon to air what amounted to my personal views in the public domain regarding the incident involving my vessel on 13 Jul 06, I have been asked following legal advice to make a formal statement.
"Irrespective of the alleged issues or causes, perceived or otherwise, leading up to the actual event of 1016hrs on 13 Jul 06, the ultimate responsibility for the safe operation of the vessel lies with her master. The decision to enter into discussion in the public forum before the completion of the investigation process was not correct and is regrettable. It was driven by the heat of the moment and not through any malice or malicious intent".
I hope this clarifies the position in the public forum.
John