Old 14 August 2006, 12:39   #1

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Single handed retrieval

Can I get some tips on managing single handed retrieval in poor conditions.

I've had a look thorough the threads and it's acknowledged as a problem, but the solutions all seem to involve someone else!

I thought I was doing OK, but in retrospect it's because the prevailing weather is offshore. The RIB is 5.4m so not too big to handle and I've been able to glide the boat from a jetty to the trailer with a bow line and been able to realign it where necessary from the trailer. On the occasions where I've had a cross wind, I've had a passer-by or local fisherman hold a stern line from the jetty to keep the boat straight.

Over the weekend I attempted it with an onshore breeze, maybe 12-15 kn, with my 8yr old on the stern line... very quickly into a mess! Stern swung inwards, not outwards as planned, boy drops the line, bow ends up into the wind, stern bumping against ramp, me in the water holding the boat off, and not a helper in sight. Can't blame the boy for that!

Managed to swing it around and get it on the trailer with only a few minor gel chips and a sigh of relief, but I'd rather that didn't happen again.

So how do you solo skippers manage?

Options seem to be:
- driving the boat on - are there conditions when you don't try this? - is it OK without trailer guides?
- jumping in the water - not part of the launching scene here
- waiting for someone to help with a stern line
- park it somewhere until conditions ease

All tips and situations to avoid welcomed.
Old 14 August 2006, 12:43   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
What you need are vertical guide poles welded onto your trailer at the back. All the commercial boys around here use them. They put plastic pipe over the poles to act as rollers so they won't mark the boat. With a roller trailer you just aim for the gap and drive on. Also don't make the mistake of putting the trailer in too deep - you don't want to float the boat on - the rollers can't do anything if the boat is floating above them!!!
Old 14 August 2006, 13:04   #3

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
tried doing it with your rib yet Codders??? ( alone)

jonathan
Old 14 August 2006, 14:22   #4

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I don't believe there is any "magic" solution, basically it is down to experience and practice. Indeed, under certain conditions even the best screw it up!!
However, to give yourself the best chance I agree with Codprawn in not putting your trailer too deep in the water, depending on the make of trailer I believe the wheels only need to be half to two thirds submerged.
Finally, ensuring your rollers are adjusted to the optimum positions with regard to your individual hull shape will also assist in a flawless recovery. Good luck
Old 14 August 2006, 15:27   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: The Black Pearl
Make: BRIG F400S
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40HP E-TEC
As someone who launches / recovers their boat solo most of the time, a drysuit is a great tool, I use the following approach in rough weather:-

1. Use anchor on the bow-line to hold the boat in waist deep water near the slip whilst I fetch the car and trailer.
2. Leave car well out of the sea and use a 15m rope tied to trailer and a loop over the towbar to secure the trailer and take the trailer into the sea until the rear roller is touching the surface.
3. Angle trailer so that there will be no crosswind during recovery (I use quite a shallow slip so don't have much problems with the trailer moving)
4. Winch boat on whilst standing on the trailer hitch so that it doesn't tip!! Tie the bowline to the winchpost as extra security.
5. Use car to pull the trailer just out of the water, chok it with bricks then reverse the car and hitch up and go!

Cheers,
Fraser
Old 14 August 2006, 15:40   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
tried doing it with your rib yet Codders??? ( alone)

jonathan
No chance - 9m is a bit big for 1 person but as soon as I get my own trailer I will be fitting the guide poles. Impossible for the wind to move the back end around even if the trailer is in too deep.

I have watched enough of the commercial fishermen doing such recoveries - they make it look SO easy. i saw a bloke on his own with an old Volvo estate recover his fishing boat no probs - 4 blokes with a Rinker and a Warrior 4x4 got bogged down in the same place.

The main mistake I see people make is trying to float the boat on - they then wonder why it moves all over the place when they pull the trailer forwards - one nearly fell off sideways!!!
Old 14 August 2006, 16:35   #7

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I always just drive mine on right up to the top of the trailer but it has big sloped side bunks so as long as the water isn't too deep it is quite a secure guide and unlikely to damage anything - and it would need a lot to winch it on and I am worried about the strength of the bow eye.

The way I do it - developed as trial and error! - is that I approach the trailer with enough speed to keep steerage (sometimes quite fast, if it is windy, but you have to be very careful then) Bump on to the keel bunk, then once I am sure everything is lined up (i.e. the bow is not hanging off the side) then a squirt on the throttle to push it up a bit, back off and check position, a bit more throttle, check again, till it bumps against the front of the trailer, lean over the bow and hook up the winch, and that's it, hop out on to the trailer drawbar and walk to the vehicle on dry land

I don't know if I would like to try doing it this way with rollers though....

Agree on water depth, a very high tide the last time I was out meant that it was too deep and the trailer was underwater, it was a pain to get on as the boat wouldn't sit securely in the bunks and kept twisting, took 4/5 goes to get it right which annoyed me as I thought I had got it down to a fine art!

I wouldn't like to try it with a strong cross current either as even a bit of wind needs too much speed to maintain steering, and if I hit the trailer at the wrong angle going too fast it could be V F expensive but I am thinking about guide poles at some point which will remove some of the risk.
Old 14 August 2006, 16:58   #8

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I have had some hairy retrievals.. but that's a different story! The worst kind of retrieval is wind shearing at 90 degrees to the trailer or slip or waves/chop just big enough to lift the boat up and down usually moving it about on the rollers, this is when rollers are can be a pain. Having done recovery in dodgy conditions with people I'd only attempt it in ggod conditions.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2006, 17:38   #9

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Drive on is the only way to go but it does take some practice in poor conditions. You may have to approach the trailer at an angle if there is a cross wind/ tide. Codder's suggestion to install guide bars with PVC pipe over really does work. Also, if you have a roller trailer you can add bunks by purchasing the brackets , wood, carpet etc. This will make an enourmous difference. I agree the key is not to have the trailer in too deep. Alway err on the shallow side as once you have the boat aligned and secured to the trailer, with the painter, or you can leave the engine running , in gear at low speed to keep it in place. Then you can always hop over the bow onto the trailer and then back down another couple of feet and winch her up. of course a friendly pair of extra hands is always, most useful. Have done the above many times with a 26ft Yacht in some really bad conditions. Hope this helps. T.

PS. Do not be afraid to make a practice run for the drive on. Back trailer into water, untie boat from jetty and back out and make a practice run so you can get a good feel for the leeway; if it looks good then go for it, if not go around again for a second try. Always approach trailer into the wind/tide as you will have much more control.
Old 14 August 2006, 18:06   #10

Town: Bridlington, E Yorks
Boat name: Stormchild
Make: Ribquest 5.8
Engine: Suzuki DF115TUL
MMSI: 235030489
My advice is to stop and think about what you're going to do and how you're going to do it, in the conditions you've got. i almost trashed mine earlier this year trying to get it out at flamborough south Landing. putting it in was easy because the tide was out and its a drive onto the beach job into shallow water, then just ease the boat off. getting her back was horrendous. the beach becomes very steep at high water - on that day with the breakers rolling onto the bottom of the slip, which has large limestone / rocks as big as breeze blocks - The trailer is on these. The only good thing about it was the car is well clear of the water and the trailer can be put into the right position.
It was a nightmare. I got the boat lined up and clipped on, the surf was washing it up the rollers with every wave, and i couldnt winch it in fast enough to take up the slack. The boat was full of water to the top of the transom. I should have thought about it before I tried it. Luckily I didnt damage the boat with the exception of a scratch on the keel near the bows.

my advice is if there isnt any help - go get some, I will next time !
Old 14 August 2006, 21:18   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
The best method I've ever seen was done by an old man recovering a Shetland 535 solo in inclement weather.
He had an electric winch with a long wanderlead and a line to a stern cleat. He stood on the waters edge guiding the stern while using the winch controls with the other hand.

He didn't float the boat on either.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2006, 00:03   #12

Thanks everyone, that is great feedback.

I've got rollers with no side supports, so there is a problem if the boat gets off centre.

I read last might about a suggestion to put out a stern mooring to control the rear end in really bad conditions - begs the question of how you retrieve the mooring, but I guess that might be a secondary consideration if things get sticky.

It looks like I need to get up to speed (so to speak) with a drive on approach for the majority of my retrievals, be prepared to get wet (and not considser that a loss of face) and bail out to the marina if I can't find a capable helper.

I'll also look at fitting guides to the trailer, they would also make balancing on the trailer a bit easier if it needs a bit of alignment.

Thanks
Old 15 August 2006, 00:17   #13

Town: Fareham
As most people have suggested Guide poles are an essential piece of kit for one man retreivals where you're on an open beach. One suggestion tho....Have a piece of rope attached from the winch post to one of the guide posts. That way if your outboard dies and/or your boat slips back down the rollers you have something to grab hold of and make fast to your boat, you'll be surprised how quickly things happen.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2006, 00:44   #14

Andy, good suggestion.

I'm never suprised about how quickly things go wrong!

I've had the dubious distinction of having a father who has made every boating mistake known to man or keel boat - and I've learn't much in the process. I'm just refining the experience with a few new ones on ribs.

Highlights from our first sail (many years ago now) included sailing over a reef in a storm, losing one anchor, dragging the other, being unable to start the motor, losing the dingy, being rescued by coast guard and getting in the paper all on the same weekend.

There are many others..... there is a book in there somewhere!
Old 15 August 2006, 00:54   #15

Town: Fareham
But most of us Honest ones would say that we've been there and done that!

I....Touch wood.....Haven't done anything too stupid, my crew would say otherwise as I do alot of wave stuffing that sets off there life jackets, but that's good fun .

I tend to forget some thing when crew offer to help! As I do things in a certain routeen and this upsets my equilibriam.

Serious though, I always travel heavy and thank God that my emergancy equipement hasn't been used to date.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2006, 01:05   #16

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apherel
Highlights from our first sail (many years ago now) included sailing over a reef in a storm, losing one anchor, dragging the other, being unable to start the motor, losing the dingy, being rescued by coast guard and getting in the paper all on the same weekend.

Suddenly I feel much less embarrassed at the cock ups I have made so far in my career...
Old 15 August 2006, 11:35   #17

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
when Northney get the pontoon nect to the slipway, i will be able to launch recover on my own, but to be honest i will only do it if i,m pushed,,,its much better with two people.
Old 15 August 2006, 19:21   #18

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Often wondered if something like this would be any good Des
Old 15 August 2006, 20:55   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
For Lazy son in laws everywhere Des
Old 16 August 2006, 08:54   #20

Town: Dorset
Make: ribcraft
Engine: suzuki 250
I have 2 RIB's which I launch and recover on my own [but not at the same time obviously..!] a 7.5 on a roller coaster trailer, and a 10.5 on a bunk trailer. Neither have guide posts, but I can see thier uses. In both cases driving on is the only sensible way to go. You need to assess the situation first, taking into account any waves that may be breaking on the slip, wind direction and strenth. Personally, I pull out enough winch strap [2ft] and set the winch rachet to pull in, not pay out! back the trailer so that the back 2-3 foot of the rollers/bunks is in the water. this will allow you to line the boat up and still be in deep water at the stern. if you sink the trailer, the boat will float about and never sit straight. then take a decent run up, if you allow 50m to line the boat up, you can use the wind to help drift you into line, then slow and steady [1-2kt] put the bow onto the trailer and hold it there, you can still steer to line it up from here, then trim the engine up a little and GENTLY drive her up... don't go powering it home here or all the good work will make you look a plonker! then whilst its still in gear, hop/lean if you can reach, over the front and clip the winch strap on. the boat is now secure, engine off, trim up, out over the front, tighten winch and tie on with the painter, I've seen winches give out on the slipway... not nice... and away you go!

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

good luck!

[ps. I find, if you look like you know what you're doing, people will believe you do! so if it does go t!ts up, you can often get away with it!]