Old 12 September 2006, 15:38   #1

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Filling tubes with foam?

I saw this quote and thought it was worth a new thread. I need to do this to a small RIB with bad tubes and want more information. How was it done, what product was used, outcome, durability, etc?

"I once filled a SIB with expanding foam (stuff builders use), worked a treat and stopped all the leaks." (posted by JUS)
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2006, 18:40   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
there was a thread on YBW about someone who was going to do this... ...i'll try to find it and repost. I think the conclusion was it was likely to go pop.

[edit - found it: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...Number/1137806]
Old 13 September 2006, 07:42   #3
Jus

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: At Lantic
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude Etec 75
The boat was a small SIB, approximately 3 metres. The tubes were in a bad way and at the time I had a free supply of expanding foam. The foam was the type used by builders for filling gaps around window frames etc.

From what I remember it was simply a case of pushing the nozzle of the foam gun into the valves and injecting the entire contents of each can. I used alot of cans, approximately 8 I think. Believe it or not the whole idea worked and the foam expanded evenly to inflate the tubes to their correct size!
Old 13 September 2006, 07:57   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Did you keep the boat for long afterwards? If the tubes were in a bad way I'd be concerened about the foam getting waterlogged over time.

John
Old 13 September 2006, 09:12   #5
Jus

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: At Lantic
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Evinrude Etec 75
I have to admit that I did not keep the boat for long. I suppose it would depend on the characteristics of the foam used, i.e. whether open or closed cell.

Also the expanded foam is still fairly compressible so you could end up with dents in the tubes if they get knocked.
Old 13 September 2006, 09:40   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Expanding foam can be dangerous stuff if you get it wrong. I was searching for a story I read years ago that made me fall about laughing, I didn't find the one I was looking for but I did find this

Edited: found the one I was looking for and it even has a boating theme. Posted in full below. Beware

A friend of mine once built a canoe. He spent a long time on it and it was a work of art.

Almost the final phase was to fill both ends with polyurethane expanding foam.

He duly ordered the bits from Mr Glasplies (an excellent purveyor of all things fibreglass) and it arrived in two packs covered with appropriately dire warnings about expansion ratios and some very good notes on how to use it.

Unfortunately he had a degree, worse still two of them. One was in Chemistry, so the instructions got thrown away and the other in something mathematical because in a few minutes he was merrily calculating the volume of his craft to many decimal places and the guidelines got binned as well.

He propped the canoe up on one end, got a huge tin, carefully measured the calculated amounts of glop, mixed them and quickly poured the mixture in the end of the canoe (The two pack expands very rapidly).

I arrived as he was completing this and I looked in to see the end chamber over half full of something Cawdors Witches would have been proud of. Two thing occurred to me, one was the label which said in big letters: "Caution - expansion ration 50:1" (or something similar) and the other that the now empty tins said "approximately enough for 20 small craft"

Any comment was drowned out by a sea of yellow brown foam suddenly pouring out of the middle of the canoe and the end of the canoe bursting open. My friend screamed and leapt at his pride and joy which was knocked to the ground as he started trying to bale handfuls of this stuff out with his hands.

Knocking the craft over allowed the still liquid and not yet fully expanded foam to flow to the other end of the canoe where it expanded and shattered that end as well.

A few seconds later and we had a canoe with two exploded ends, a mountain of solid foam about 4ft high growing out of the middle, and a chemist firmly embedded up to his armpits in it.

At this stage he discovered the reaction was exothermic and his hands and arms were getting very hot indeed. Running about in small circles in a confined space while glued to the remains of a fairly large canoe proved ineffective so he resorted to screaming a bit instead.

Fortunately a Kukri was to hand so I attacked the foam around his hands with some enthusiasm. The process was hindered by the noise he was making and the fact he was trying to escape while still attached to the canoe.

Eventually I managed to hack out a lump of foam still including most of his arms and hands. Unfortunately my tears of laughter were not helping as they accelerated the foam setting.

Seeking medical help was obviously out of the question, the embarrassment of having to explain his occupation (Chief Research Chemist at a major petrochemical organisation) would simply never have been lived down. Several hours and much acrimony later we had removed sufficient foam (and much hair) to allow him to move again. However he still looked something like a failed audition for Quasimodo with red burns on his arms and expanded blobs of foam sticking everywhere. My comment that the scalding simple made the hairs the foam was sticking to come out easier was not met with the enthusiasm I felt it deserved.

I forgot to add that in retrospect rather unwisely he had set out to do this deed in the hallway of his house (the only place he later explained with sufficient headroom for the canoe - achieved by poking it up the stairwell.

Having extricated him we now were faced with the problem of a canoe construction kit embedded in a still gurgling block of foam which was now irrevocably bonded to the hall and stairs carpet as well as several banister rails and quite a lot of wallpaper.

At this point his wife and her mother came back from shopping......

Oh yes - and he had been wearing the pullover Mum in law had knitted him for his birthday the week before.

Peter Parry.
Old 13 September 2006, 10:02   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
U'd be better off getting some of those cheap Gemini inner tubes.
Old 13 September 2006, 11:34   #8

Town: Plougastel-Daoulas
Boat name: Kristha
Make: Narwhal HD580
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp TLDI
Stephen, never before was that "beware" comment more appropriate, the whole office is now certain I'm completely nuts, struggling to breathe and laugh my head off at the same time
Quote:
Eventually I managed to hack out a lump of foam still including most of his arms and hands

Maybe the best advice that could be given to Channelwatch is "tape it", you can always sell the video if it goes bang.
Old 13 September 2006, 11:45   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Edited: found the one I was looking for and it even has a boating theme. Posted in full below. Beware
Priceless!

Anyone got a good technique for getting coffee out of keyboards?

John
Old 13 September 2006, 15:42   #10

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Not exactly the advise I was looking for, but as expected you guys do an awesome job. I won't end up with a foam filled skiff but I sure did get a great laugh. That's how I thought it would end up.

Thanks all.
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote