Old 23 October 2006, 20:47   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Prop

After only the fourth time out with my new prop it looks like it's been fighting with the sharp end of an alligator, no idea what I hit except that I am pretty sure that it wasn't a rock as I wasn't anywhere rocky, maybe something else in the water as it did suddenly cavitate for no real reason at one stage yesterday, in about 30' of water.

It came from Oakley Marine and was a genuine Johnson one so may have been more expensive than it needed to be, think it was about £120 (ex vat) before the freight etc.

Is it worth getting a real el cheapo job or are the really cheap ones a bit rubbish, and what should one expect to pay for a decent but bog standard 19" pitch 3 blade alli prop? Or should I stick with the genuine article? I don't really know the ins and outs of props as far as different manufacturers are concerned and whether genuine or "big name" ones are better, I would have thought that one is much like another at the bottom end of the alli market but any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Stephen
Old 26 October 2006, 19:35   #2

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Stephen - I have a 17" stainless brand new prop sitting in my workshop looking for a home. You can have it for 60 quid FOB european port.

Its a three bladed Michigan wheel rapture 14.25" diameter RH. there is a hub kit - maybe it woud fit?- its for a yamaha.

Jonathan
Old 26 October 2006, 22:32   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Cool thanks for the offer - getting it here might be a bit of a pain though, it would have to leave from a UK container packing agent, what would it cost to get to UK? I was quoted 200 and something quid for a stainless one, reduced from 400 odd! I was also told that a 17" stainless is equivalent to an 18" aluminium one, but I didn't understand that? anybody got an answer?

Don't know if it will fit or not, will check the splines on mine tomorrow, how many has it got?

I've just ordered a replacement for the one I had - the same 19" alli - as I got offered a slightly discounted price which was very welcome and it was rude to turn it down
Old 31 October 2006, 10:33   #4

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
stainless is stronger than alu',far less flex, cuzz it's stronger blades are thiner and sharper on stainless, it will slice the water better.
but not sure this is an answer to
"I was also told that a 17" stainless is equivalent to an 18" aluminium one,"
maybe he knows the hull,