Old 13 December 2006, 15:55   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Wiring an Accessory Socket.

Tomorrow I'm going to wire a waterproof accessory socket which will primarily be used with a 50 watt/12 volt handheld spotlight.
I shall be using Bulgin waterproof connectors with a Carling switch to control master on/off power.
The run of wire will be about 3 foot from the main electric box to the switch and about 6 inches from the switch to the waterproof accessory socket. The spotlight has a 3 foot flex cable.
My question is that I have the following wire available and wondered if it was of the correct size:- 14/0.3 wiring cable.
I haven't bought the spotlight yet.
I've searched all over the net and this site but am unable to work out if this is the right size of wire. There are so many different gauge standards it gets very difficult to work out what wire I have and what wire I need.
thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 13 December 2006, 16:29   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
My question is that I have the following wire available and wondered if it was of the correct size:- 14/0.3 wiring cable.
I haven't bought the spotlight yet.

14/0.3 (8.75 amps) is better suited for interior and navigation lights, 28/0.3 (17.5 amps) would be more suitable.
Old 13 December 2006, 19:17   #3

Thanks Dirk,

You pointed me in the right direction. Just popped out and bought some heavier cable to do the socket with.
Old 14 December 2006, 16:12   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Dont forget to Fuse

Hi Biggles, Not sure about the supply board you have, but I would be inclined to seperately fuse this Power supply.
Based on the P=IV thus 50=Ix12 a fuse of 4.2 amps minimum is required.
50 Watts does not seem much but if its a Halogen it will be like single Headlight of small car.
You will need to possibly rate a 10 Amp fuse or higher to allow for other appliances.

If using Copper Wire on different type of metal Terminal, you will get oxides (especially with salt water) forming and thus these joints will not last. Suggest you "Thin"with solder the terminals first.
Aidan
Old 14 December 2006, 16:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Hi Biggles, Not sure about the supply board you have, but I would be inclined to seperately fuse this Power supply.
Based on the P=IV thus 50=Ix12 a fuse of 4.2 amps minimum is required.
50 Watts does not seem much but if its a Halogen it will be like single Headlight of small car.
You will need to possibly rate a 10 Amp fuse or higher to allow for other appliances.

If using Copper Wire on different type of metal Terminal, you will get oxides (especially with salt water) forming and thus these joints will not last. Suggest you "Thin"with solder the terminals first.
Aidan
Aidan,

Cheers for the solder tip and the fuse rating.

Old 14 December 2006, 16:53   #6

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Aidan,

Cheers for the solder tip and the fuse rating.

Checked how they did it today, seperately fused etc, just as suggested by others, no rating on the cable...(If you get into trouble I can take pictures) others have done a better job explaining how to do it.

Did you eventually go for the Aquasignal?

Incedently, If you do source a wakeboard carrier ,would you let me know...
Old 20 December 2006, 14:47   #7

Sorry for late reply. I shall be going for the Aquasignal. just taking a long time to fit the wiring but hope to start on that tomorrow.

IBWET by the way does that spike think move and if so would I be able to put it on the front of the console below the windscreen and angle it up so that the aqua signal faced forwards ?
Old 21 December 2006, 16:00   #8

Quote:
Sorry for late reply. I shall be going for the Aquasignal. just taking a long time to fit the wiring but hope to start on that tomorrow.

IBWET by the way does that spike think move and if so would I be able to put it on the front of the console below the windscreen and angle it up so that the aqua signal faced forwards ?
I initially intended doing just that, I think it would look good there,but ran into problems because I also had a forward facing speaker slap bang in the middle of the front of the consol (above the access hatch) so not enough space.

The only issue is safety..if not tight enough (you can tighten the spike with a nylock nut) it could fall forwards making it dangerous,if someone fell on it (quite possible in a rib) I never considered this, Ribcraft pointed it out.

I had them fit a buchaneer connection next to the throttle, this allows me to take the light of the A-Frame and connect it to the consol. The connection also allows the wife to connect her heated simmits, wooly y-fronts etc.
Old 21 December 2006, 16:15   #9

IBWET,

I've today wired in an accessory socket on the far left of the consol. I'm going to order up the light and spike next and see if I can get them fitted on the front of the console. Means I can use it as light if needed for travelling or unhook it for looking around. The A frame spike will come later.

From what you say putting it on the front of the consol is an option.

regards Nick R.
Old 22 December 2006, 19:38   #10

Just ordered the light today so will post some pics when its mounted.
Old 06 January 2007, 11:38   #11

Quote:
Just ordered the light today so will post some pics when its mounted.
You got the spotlight mounted yet? also I think I have sourced a wakeboard carrier.

http://www.monstertower.com/accessory1.html

If you've not settled on one yet,we could split the transport costs from the friendly fire gang.
Old 06 January 2007, 13:02   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
You got the spotlight mounted yet? also I think I have sourced a wakeboard carrier.

http://www.monstertower.com/accessory1.html

If you've not settled on one yet,we could split the transport costs from the friendly fire gang.
Speak to Roycruse re. the monstertower. His has broken loose on a couple of occasions causing the boards to whip around a whack his engine cowling.
Old 06 January 2007, 13:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Speak to Roycruse re. the monstertower. His has broken loose on a couple of occasions causing the boards to whip around a whack his engine cowling.
Not good.

IBWET, Accesory socket all wired and spotlight attached. Photos to follow when the rain stops.
Old 09 January 2007, 06:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Weyhey!!!
was he on it at the time! (possibly to much spring in the rope)

hope the groovy camera was running....

It's a fair bit of money as well...has anyone sourced an alternative?
Old 19 January 2007, 09:43   #15

A quick photo for IBWET. More to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light small.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	24368  
Old 19 January 2007, 12:44   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Erm, What can I do to my RIB next.............
Fit a bigger engine to move all that extra weight around from all your gadgets

Old 19 January 2007, 12:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Fit a bigger engine to move all that extra weight around from all your gadgets

I find it cheaper to carry a couple of "Badly Dressed Pirates"

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17573

Old 19 January 2007, 15:48   #18

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
I find it cheaper to carry a couple of "Badly Dressed Pirates"

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17573

I recon that you should fit some stainless Bow rails so that you don't fall in whilst recovering the Anchor (and to look cooler than an icecube) after that a RADAR extension on the A frame so that if it gets froggy you can see where the closest pub is. A self righting bag (for the A frame also) so that when you flip it comming back from the pub in the Frog you can still get home. That's if you can still see your RIB as it's Froggy, if you can't a remote control for the Amber flashing light and spotlight so that you can see where to swim.

See there's loads to do!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2007, 13:54   #19

IBWET,

Hers the pic you requested. I have wired similar to you in that I have a waterproof 12V socket on the console dash in to which I plug the spotlight. Means I can move it around the boat at a later date if I fit one of those expensive spikes on the A Frame.
Downside for me having the light there is that i can't now put my console cover on, it just doesn't fit. But I don't use it very often anyway. I also found that the spike it sits on developed a droop on the move, so I've tightened that up and we'll see how I get on. Something I would like to solve but haven't worked out yet is how to keep the spotlight pointing in one direction, when your on the move, mine just sort of swivels round. Have you ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	little light.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	24511  
Old 26 January 2007, 06:05   #20

Quote:
IBWET,

Hers the pic you requested. I have wired similar to you in that I have a waterproof 12V socket on the console dash in to which I plug the spotlight. Means I can move it around the boat at a later date if I fit one of those expensive spikes on the A Frame.
Downside for me having the light there is that i can't now put my console cover on, it just doesn't fit. But I don't use it very often anyway. I also found that the spike it sits on developed a droop on the move, so I've tightened that up and we'll see how I get on. Something I would like to solve but haven't worked out yet is how to keep the spotlight pointing in one direction, when your on the move, mine just sort of swivels round. Have you ?
Thanks Nick,

I think as long as that spike can't fall down/forward ( I would worry about kids), it looks great, did you have a reason for not fitting in the Middle?.

That's a bugger about the consol cover, I use mine a lot, you could alter yours? I always take the spot off the A Frame when I leave the boat over night to deter theft.

My apologies, I should have mentioned the swivelling thing, It's a double edged sword; on my old one, I lubbed the spike with vaseline to ease getting it on and off, apart from the light never sitting straight again,the vas melted the rubber slightly so then it would fall off! I never found a way to stop the movement.

Here's an option I'm considering, (It would get round your swivelling problem) where you have the 3 holes for the spike, design a bracket that allows you to fit the static clip fitting for the light (£10) this would allow you to point the light straight ahead. The spike, I'm considering finding a way to fit it on the highest point of the screen surround, this gets round the safety issue, allows 360 Degree direction and avoids glare back from the boat?

Of course, this is all way over the top, I've not used the spot since I got the boat

I'm presently half way down the "must get the very best dry bags available dear" they probably won't get used either.......