Old 14 January 2007, 17:14   #1

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Need advice...

Do you folks have a "policy" with regards to frequent guests contributing to the gas bill for your boats? A diving friend of mine just sold his boat and pretty much said it didn't make much sense to have his own boat when I had one that was better/bigger/faster than his. In the past, he has offered to bring the beer as his contribution to the fuel tab! (Two beers = $3.00) I don't mind treating on occasion, but on some longer trips, I can easily drop $75 on fuel (plus oil, wear etc.).

Any suggestions?

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 17:18   #2

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Do you folks have a "policy" with regards to frequent guests contributing to the gas bill for your boats? A diving friend of mine just sold his boat and pretty much said it didn't make much sense to have his own boat when I had one that was better/bigger/faster than his. In the past, he has offered to bring the beer as his contribution to the fuel tab! (Two beers = $3.00) I don't mind treating on occasion, but on some longer trips, I can easily drop $75 on fuel (plus oil, wear etc.).

Any suggestions?
If out for fun with mates, I tend to go with splitting the bill for fuel, food, berthing by the number of people on board. That obviously means I end up paying for oil and wear and tear on the boat etc, but that's not too much of an issue.

I found if out wakeboarding or something the fuel bill could be pretty big, and I didn't fancy covering it!
Old 14 January 2007, 17:33   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

Any suggestions?
I'd pretty much say there's no point in you paying all the upkeep when there's 2 of you using the boat...

That's cheeky as f**K of him.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 17:45   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Split everything down the middle. If he doesn't like it don't take him. As you said you got all the hassle of any repair bills and the maintenance etc.
Old 14 January 2007, 18:44   #5

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
I do this quite often in the role as the guest. This is because I travel long distances to visit friends and there is no point in towing a boat there. I generally work on the principle of paying my share of the fuel/fees ( estimated total divided by number of people) plus beer/ food etc. for myself and owner. I think this is fair and have alway's been invited back. I also try to do my fair share of the work, launching, recovery, clean up etc. There was nothing that used to P me off more than; after an invited day out on a sailing boat than the people that disembarked at Marina, with " I gotta go" and did not stay to pack sails and clean up. The above used to be standard practice.
Old 14 January 2007, 19:01   #6

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
That's cheeky as f**K of him.
LOL... It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way! I don't give this a second thought with friends who come up once in a while, but this chap has a habit of showing up every week...!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 22:10   #7

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki 300
Boat owner pays

Funny stuff this.

I come from a tradition where the boat owner pays all. If I decide to play the part of the boat owner then I feel I must pay. This also gives me the right to decide who come with me, itinerary etc. For me this is all part of ownership. If someone wants the benefit of ownership then either purchase or enter a partnership. To help me on this I try to have a wide circle of boatmates/crew. that way I can usually find someone who will go along with my particular whims for my chosen trip.

rgds
Old 14 January 2007, 22:22   #8

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Hi Stoo, I am no evaluator of friends but only you know the answer to your specific question. However, if its gettin on your wick, and he/she is your friend, then you owe it to them to tell them straight so they understand.
Your friend is only guilty as I see it of being insensitive but perhaps this is because they feel that they are close enough to do this like Brother or sister would. However, if they are good friend then you must tell them, its how you do it that counts. This is where I leave you as I am too direct from here on in... do sort it tho, as it will only take from your friendship
Old 14 January 2007, 22:30   #9

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Most of the people I run with are boaters and have been for some time, including my eight year old daughter. Kids being the exception, if we go for an outing adults tagging along kick in for the gas and dockage and bring food and drinks. If I am heading out on my inflatable I expect at least half the gas cost and the crew pays for dockage if we end up in a marina that requires payment. They sure as hell better bring their own drinks/food as well although I always have some on board for guests, new acquaintances etc. etc. I always offer gas money and bring along refreshments if going out on someone else's boat, common courtesy. If I have extended an invitation nothing is expected but contributions demonstrate "appreciation". After all, boating is expensive, most boats cost at least five figures if not six, plus the associated costs we all know about. If someone wants to go along they are enjoying the experience of being on the water on a extraordinary craft (rib) its not free for the owner, why should it be free for them?
Old 14 January 2007, 23:09   #10

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I used to work out how much it was each and split it with everyone for the petrol. This isn't always easy with student sorts! Now I pay for the petrol and get them to buy me lunch and a few drinks. Most people normally offer to gve me something which is nice. However, what really p**ses me off is one my friend's boyfriend - he never offers to give me anything or offers to buy me anything. Ive only taken him out a couple of times with her but I thought it was really rude as the day cost me quite a bit and I went to all the effort.
Old 14 January 2007, 23:16   #11

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I used to work out how much it was each and split it with everyone for the petrol. This isn't always easy with student sorts! Now I pay for the petrol and get them to buy me lunch and a few drinks. Most people normally offer to gve me something which is nice. However, what really p**ses me off is one my friend's boyfriend - he never offers to give me anything or offers to buy me anything. Ive only taken him out a couple of times with her but I thought it was really rude as the day cost me quite a bit and I went to all the effort.
The answer here Tim, is to stop inviting the ungrateful nobber along.......but make sure you keep asking his girlfriend. Two reasons for this:

1. It will pi$$ the boyfriend off

2. She chips in for the fuel

3. Any other suggestions????
Old 14 January 2007, 23:18   #12
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Nos's instructions for dealing with tightwads:-
Ask him to stand up at the stern while you're alongside a pontoon.
Open throttle full while he's not holding on.
Practice MOB drill

Make sure you won't chop him to bits with the prop though...and make sure he's wearing his own auto lifejacket

Old 14 January 2007, 23:31   #13

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Great suggestions! Love urs nos - im not the only one in my circle of friends who'd like to try that one out
Old 14 January 2007, 23:34   #14
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Great suggestions! Love urs nos - im not the only one in my circle of friends who'd like to try that one out
hehehe

I actually did this one to a really annoying woman I used to share a flat with while she was on the back of my bike. I asked her to stand up for a second and opened the throttle, dumping her flat on her back on the verge outside Homebase in Parkstone. She stopped asking for lifts after that.

Old 15 January 2007, 03:42   #15

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Split between riders

I try to do it, but have found it to be a problem. I have a few people that want to come but don't really want to pay their share. They get the point though when I stop inviting them for a while. The fact is that boat payments, boat repair, truck fuel, boat fuel and lunch is a huge expense, but when the latter three are split between everyone in the boat (I don't charge people for bringing their kids) it becomes manageable to take more than two trips per year. But when it costs $180 for truck fuel, and $300 for boat gas, I get really pissed when no one offers to chip in, especially when they swing thier hooks my way and expect me to bait them.

Jimmy
Old 15 January 2007, 08:04   #16

Town: Cork, Ireland
Make: Lencraft 5.0 M
Engine: Yamaha 75 HP 2 Str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
The answer here Tim, is to stop inviting the ungrateful nobber along.......but make sure you keep asking his girlfriend.
Yea, you have to treta potential muppet in-laws, you know you won't get on with, with the contempt that they deserve.

An unannounced hard turn to port should do the trick ;-)

But seriously...

SS
Old 15 January 2007, 08:32   #17

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I'd never thought about it, though I don't carry that many passengers. I might have to be more mercenary about this, as a typical day out for me is about £50 or so in fuel.

On the other hand if I do go any distance, part of the pleasure is getting away from other people and knowing they ain't going to pop up alongside you, so I might carry on being unsociable

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2007, 11:22   #18

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
a typical day out for me is about £50 or so in fuel.

Yep. about that for me too, which makes it a very expensive day for me. (old, poor :-( ) I worked out that, if I could sleep aboard and spend the night in an anchorage, then the same trip would only be £25 per day. If I can sneak Friday evening too then it's even better value. Of course, I like exploring the small islets and inlets I anchor in. I can potter about a bit with my 3hp Johnson pushing me along quite nicely. Could be cheaper than going to the pub here. A round'll get rid of £20 in a couple of minutes at almost £3.00 a pint.

I'm hoping to have made a tent to cover the boat for next season. Now, if I can find a suitable lady who wouldn't mind sharing a tent on a boat, it might be better value still - or on second thoughts, perhaps not.

Tony
Old 15 January 2007, 15:14   #19

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Nos's instructions for dealing with tightwads:-
Ask him to stand up at the stern while you're alongside a pontoon.
Open throttle full while he's not holding on.
Practice MOB drill

Make sure you won't chop him to bits with the prop though...and make sure he's wearing his own auto lifejacket
Nice one Nos! Why wait until you are aside a Pontoon????

Ok Nice guys aside, why bother bring the plonker in the first place. I thought he was your friend. If he is not your friend the to heck with it.
We used to have a friend who never bought his round.. Soon fixed that by just telling him to go to the Bar, nothing fancy, just Go to the Bar, its Your round. It did not hurt his feelings as he was a bit oblivious. Nothing worse than a mean man. Funny but I expect it from a woman, its called "thriftyness" I spend all my money before my wife gets a chance to do it for me but its normally on her anyway so she doesnt complain...
Old 15 January 2007, 17:24   #20

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Beam View Post
....... I get really pissed when no one offers to chip in.........

Jimmy

Don't do this.
Alcohol's the problem, not the solution