Old 28 April 2007, 14:04   #1

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Another my new boat

Well, as some of you know, I bought the Shakespeare 720 demo rib from Steve, the one he posted the build story on a year ago.

Took her out both Saturday and Sunday last weekend.What a blast.

Saturday, with myself and crew of two on board, left Drivers dry storage and made our way into Southampton water. with conditions slightly rougher than expected, the run down to the solent put three huge grins on faces and removed all those feelings of "oh my God, what have I done"!

Conditions were smooth at best on the test run with Frances and Dave, but a bit different last Saturday.I reckoned sea state was similar to that of the March Medina Muster, which Biggles confirmed. She handles fantastically (not that I have much to compare to) and my worries of going for a 7.2m boat were instantly dismissed.

Anyway, over to Cowes and up to The Folly for another great pub lunch. Moored on a buoy with Nauti Buoy and another charter rib mooring up after me, who both seemed to be out on business. Should have a nice photo, but crew number two, who took loads of digital video which turned out to be useless (it was off when thought it was on and on when thought it was off ) managed to cock up taking a simple still picture too. Dad's really should know better

Fuelled up after lunch at cowes (£1.19 a litre - ouch) for a run up to pompey, then back to Southampton passing a group of Zapcats training for the coming season by the looks of things,and the wander back to Drivers. Made it back just in the nick of time before they supposedly closed at 5pm, and off to the campsite still buzzing from a fab day on the water.

Up and packed on Sunday, departed Drivers for another afternoon on the water, this time over to Yarmouth for lunch. Conditions much smoother on the Sunday, opened he right up, noted 47mph on the handheld GPS before had to stop looking, played around on wakes of passing cruisers and got more of a feel for what she can do. Dave was right - what a tight turning circle. Stopped in Yarmouth for lunch, fuelled up and filled the tanks at a much more reasonable (compared to Cowes) 1.09 per litre and made the trip back to Southampton Water. Saw Evolution (I think) coming out and making her way back to Pompey I guess, recovered a floating log that I nearly hit but just about saw in time, and back upto see all the cruise liners in dock.

A couple of pics attached, but as neither crew seem to be competent in the camera department, severely lacking.

Looking forward to a good few more trips this season and beyond, and finding a name...decisions decisions...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011050.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	26427   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011037.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	26428   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011038.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	26429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1056.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	26430   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1062.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	26431  

Old 28 April 2007, 14:14   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Looks like smiles all round.
Old 28 April 2007, 14:58   #3

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Good look with the new rib. shakespears have to be driven to appreciate the full all round abillity, and your expression seems to back this up. Top shelf
Old 28 April 2007, 16:49   #4

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Way to go Neil!

She looks fantastic and bet she handled fantastic too, you must be very proud. I bet your Dad was well impressed, I remember my Dads first trip and he loved every minuite of it.

Look forward to seeing her in the flesh

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2007, 17:05   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Should have a nice photo, but crew number two, who took loads of digital video which turned out to be useless (it was off when thought it was on and on when thought it was off ) managed to cock up taking a simple still picture too. Dad's really should know better
Might it be some time before he gets to drive your pride and joy then ?
Old 28 April 2007, 17:41   #6

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Might it be some time before he gets to drive your pride and joy then ?
I've been messing about on boats since the age of 10, we had speedboats etc when I was growing up, and Dad was the knowing responsible one.
So, I let him drive coming out of Southampton Water last week. Bare in mind now that the only time he has driven a RIB was on the Thames run last year, and not since.

I really need backrests for the two front seats fitted soon, cos I've never been so scared. There was me thinking he'd take it easy for a bit to get used to it. Nope - straight to 4500 rpm through the solent chop and I don't know how many sailing boats, with both hands on wheel instead of one with the other on throtlle, cos doing it the proper way was "too difficult without a backrest" But he soon got the hang of it and his grin factor was quite high