Old 24 May 2007, 14:17   #1

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
anchor weight and chain length

Hi all,

I have a humber 5.3 with a 90hp. I never anchor in more than 2m of water (usually sand / pebble bottom). What would be the optimum anchor style, weight and chain length taking into account limited deck space?

thanks........
Old 24 May 2007, 16:37   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
For safety's sake as big as possible and as much chain as possible. The hobby fishing guys use the length of the boat in chain.

You might need it to hold you still after an engine failure so 'optimum' isn't an option-it should be heaviest practical to stow.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2007, 20:13   #3

Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Anchor weight, rope length etc

If it is all chain, it's recommended to have at least 4 times the max depth of water you'll encounter.

If it's a mixture of rope and chain, it's recommended to have at least six times the max depth.

E.G. With 30m of mixed chain/ line, you could conceivably anchor in 5m of water...

The more length of scope you let out, the more the shock absorbing effect.

The 'bruce' anchor is a good type, with good holding in mixed conditions

For the size of boat you're talking about, you'd probably find a 5kg or slightly bigger would be ok.

I don't know what size of lockers you've got aboard, but it is a good idea to keep the anchor/line combination in some sort of dry bag, and I've packed this with an old camping mat, to stop the thing damaging the inside of the anchor locker when going over waves.

Cheers
Old 24 May 2007, 20:58   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Depends why you want to anchor. If it's just for a spot of fishing or having a picnic then a 5kg Bruce with just rope will be fine.

If your engine cuts and you want to ride out a gale then you need some heavy chain and a bigger anchor - i carry 2 for this reason.

A good compromise would be a 6kg Delta. It has about as much holding power as a 10kg Bruce from what they say. The original one is quite expensive but the copy works just as well.

http://www.boatgeardirect.co.uk/id14.html
Old 24 May 2007, 22:23   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Danforth type anchor works very well in sand/shingle, but they're an awkward shape and difficult to store if you have a small locker hatch. They also have a tendency to jam your fingers, after which, you'll probably swap it for a Bruce
If you're only in 2m max of water and it's only for short stops while you're aboard, a folding grapnel with a 2-3 metres of 6mm chain should do the job - really easy to store in small lockers
Old 24 May 2007, 23:48   #6

Folding grapnels are great for kelp or rock but not much else. i was horrified to discover I could easily pull my 7.5kg grapnel through the sand with one hand!!!
Old 25 May 2007, 06:37   #7

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Personally I use a 15kg CQR style for my 5.4 SR. then I have 4m of chain and 40m of rope.

Never had drag problems on any bottom.

Ian
Old 25 May 2007, 08:24   #8

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopic View Post
I have a humber 5.3 with a 90hp. I never anchor in more than 2m of water (usually sand / pebble bottom).
Hi,

I have some 6mm chain coming back from a guy who is upgrading to 8mm, if you would like a deal on some let me know?

As for hooks, the folding type are really only good as a backup - as has been said they drag through anything other then heavy week or craggy rocks. When it comes to weight remember that an anchor is a machine not a leaden lump - if you get a good design you will be fine with something like a 7.5kg; the key really is to use ample chain/rope.

Mind you, when it comes to anchors there is one opinion for every pebble on the beach.
Old 25 May 2007, 11:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
Personally I use a 15kg CQR style for my 5.4 SR. then I have 4m of chain and 40m of rope.

Never had drag problems on any bottom.

Ian
I am not suprised. That combination is fine for a 35ft ketch!!!
Old 25 May 2007, 12:55   #10

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Hi all,

I have a humber 5.3 with a 90hp. I never anchor in more than 2m of water (usually sand / pebble bottom). What would be the optimum anchor style, weight and chain length taking into account limited deck space?

thanks........
5.3 Destroyer, 90hp. I have the optional 'raised bow locker' with hatch. I have a 6kg (I think) Delta, 5m 8mm chain, 5m 6mm chain, 20m 14mm anchorplait. Also have 20m 16mm anchorplait aboard in case I need more.

The main rode stows easily in the locker with the chain and anchor sitting on top of the rope as a cushion. I think the extra 20m would just about fit in also.

I do a lot of anchoring, spend much time ashore sometimes with the boat out of sight and a bit exposed, so I like to be sure. The 10m of chain plus the anchor is about as much as I can comfortably manage to pull up vertically (i.e. from 10m depth).

The Delta is easy to handle and stow and has excellent performance, holding really well even before I added the extra 8mm chain.
Old 27 May 2007, 18:25   #11

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
If it is all chain,
then in a rib you would need a passing superhero to pull it back in again
Old 27 May 2007, 23:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
then in a rib you would need a passing superhero to pull it back in again
Quote:
I never anchor in more than 2m of water...
May not be needing that superhero then.
Old 28 May 2007, 10:51   #13

ok full quote
Quote:
If it is all chain, it's recommended to have at least 4 times the max depth of water you'll encounter.
I doubt if 2 metres is the max depth and the anchor is safety kit-if it wont go make it stop with the anchor!
I dont do formulae with anchors. Having fished at anchor for years in some of the biggest rise and falls of tide in the country with asociated currents I have never needed 6 times the depth with chain (say 2/3 metres) and rope. In just 30ft of water that would be 180ft. I do get folk on instructor courses who are asked to anchor the rib and then start quoting formulae at me and telling me about the scope needed with all chain and it really ****** me off when we are sat in say a 5m rib. Its usually becomes obvious they have never anchored a boat in a tide but have read about it in yottie books. When they quote all chain I have to ask where are we gonna store all that weight in the rib we are in and then who is going to retrieve it cos it won't be me!
The more rope you have out the better it will hold (but there are practical limits). The more chain you have the better it will hold(but again there are limits with what you can cope with). In an emergency if it still wont hold with all your rope and the associated chain then tie something heavy such as a divers weight belt or heavy fishing weights where the chain meets the rope and then you may have a chance.
Old 28 May 2007, 15:12   #14

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I have just bought 30 metres of 8mm i do need the weight up front and wont be able to try it till after June .i may regret it but had to try it out ,its good quality uncalibrated and cost 89.oo pounds including delivery posted next day well pleased
Old 28 May 2007, 15:50   #15

Bet you postman was well chuffed shoving that thru the letterbox just have to see how you go on with it and keep going to the gymn in the meantime I rather think the thought of lifting it by hand would persuade me to fish on the drift rather than put the 'ook down though
We had two Cygnus 28ft hardboats side by side on pontoons here in the marina, one of which was noticably down by the head. Reason was absolutely shedloadsa chain in the anchor space. If you are on all chain it is recommended to bend the last link to the boat with some hefty rope rather than a shackle-then if you ever need to get rid of it in a hurry a knife will do it rather than that rusty hacksaw or shackle key that cant be found when you desperatley need it .
Old 28 May 2007, 16:18   #16

Quote:
ok full quote

I doubt if 2 metres is the max depth and the anchor is safety kit-if it wont go make it stop with the anchor!
I dont do formulae with anchors. Having fished at anchor for years in some of the biggest rise and falls of tide in the country with asociated currents I have never needed 6 times the depth with chain (say 2/3 metres) and rope. In just 30ft of water that would be 180ft. I do get folk on instructor courses who are asked to anchor the rib and then start quoting formulae at me and telling me about the scope needed with all chain and it really ****** me off when we are sat in say a 5m rib. Its usually becomes obvious they have never anchored a boat in a tide but have read about it in yottie books. When they quote all chain I have to ask where are we gonna store all that weight in the rib we are in and then who is going to retrieve it cos it won't be me!
The more rope you have out the better it will hold (but there are practical limits). The more chain you have the better it will hold(but again there are limits with what you can cope with). In an emergency if it still wont hold with all your rope and the associated chain then tie something heavy such as a divers weight belt or heavy fishing weights where the chain meets the rope and then you may have a chance.

Couldn't agree more - all rope works fine for me and the Bristol Channel has some pretty fearsome tides - especially in some of our estuaries. I have anchored quite successfully with only a 3:1 scope. Obviously the more the better but it was in a Force 6 and she still held with a 5kg Bruce.

I have about 10m of very heavy chain and a 6kg Delta with 2x60m of thick rope for emergencies but have never used them yet. just use 1/2 the rope no chain for day to day.
Old 28 May 2007, 16:40   #17

Quote:
ok full quote

Agree with all this

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I have anchored quite successfully with only a 3:1 scope. Obviously the more the better but it was in a Force 6 and she still held with a 5kg Bruce.
Codprawn - what were you doing anchoring out there in a F6?
I expect you were taking photos of all the dories running back to the harbour
Old 28 May 2007, 19:04   #18

Quote:
Agree with all this

Quote:
I expect you were taking photos of all the dories running back to the harbour

Hey codders - hows that new camera of yours doing anyway? Still happy with it?
Old 28 May 2007, 19:10   #19

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I have anchored quite successfully with only a 3:1 scope. Obviously the more the better but it was in a Force 6 and she still held with a 5kg Bruce.
Yeh, but go away and leave it for a week and see how many nights you sleep.

It's one thing anchoring while you go fishin, but it's another thing setting up an anchor you feel you can trust and leave for a good length of time. It's all chain for me. I've experienced the fretting where the chain and warp join and I've experienced the gasp, but relief, when lifting an anchor to find only the last threads of the warp still connected.
Old 28 May 2007, 20:36   #20

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
Anchors

I have had many hours of fun over the years tryin to get various types of Anchor off the bottom when they have gotten stuck, driven over um to brake um out, even had to leave em for dead on occasion & put a buff on em & go back later (gets a bit dear though)....even pulled up a piece of reef once (well with help of a windlass) But now use a 'MANSON SUPREME' 7Kg with 5m of 8mm chain attached to a warp, exellent holding & with the shackel though the slotted part along its back just drive over it & the shackel slides along it back & the pull is from the front end of the anchor, pull it up no problems ever encountered even in very rocky bottoms, no moving parts to give you a blood blister ether. Available from 'www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk' £113.95 for 7Kg.
Mike.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote