Click Here to Login

Old 12 October 2006, 16:05   #1

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Ebay: Dan Cooper aka norfolkboatandoutboardcentre / obspares / outboardspares.net

< EDIT: 22 Dec 2014 - now operating as Outboards Cambridge with a credible-looking web site. JK >

< EDIT: 10 May 2012 - Information about making a claim in the County Court and if you already have a judgement over £600 how you can use High Court Enforcement Officers to collect it. JK >

< EDIT: 16 March 2012 - Suffolk Police contact details added here. JK >

< EDIT: 08 May 2009 - Please note that Windways Marine Services and Anglia Outboard Centre (who both trade on Ebay as nseoutboardcentre) are not related to Dan Cooper, although they are all to aware of him! They can be contacted on 07591 975555 during working hours if you have any concerns. JK >

This is a warning for anyone who is thinking of or has bought something of the ebay seller riversendmarine. He was selling several outboards and a large amount of spares. Based in cambridge.

(eBay Feedback profile for riversendmarine)

If you have bought anything from the seller and havn't recieved it contact ebay or paypal immediatly. The seller doesn't have the items advertised. Some people have obviously recieved small items such as propellers.

I bought an outboard, mariner 6, I was going to collect however the seller said he was unavaliable on the days I proposed, he insisted I pay through paypal and he would post it. (He sounded genuine). He came up with several stories, one was that parcel force had broke the gearbox.

I made a claim through paypal and they couldn't contact him, so they recovered about half of my money.

Paypal and ebay are now investigating and I've been in touch with other ebay members who have involved the police. If anyone knows where this guy is or who he is please let me know!!

This ruined my september boating, At least I had my trusty yamaha malta, but I couldn't plane. I should not have sent payment and risked my 100% feedback!!!
Old 12 October 2006, 16:13   #2

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
sorry to hear that mate, his feedback jsut lately doesntlook to good at all -
Old 12 October 2006, 16:22   #3

RIBase
I guess I was lucky and paid through paypal, if it had been a cheque then I'd have kissed good bye to my cash. At least paypal provides some protection.
Old 12 October 2006, 16:35   #4
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post
If anyone knows where this guy is or who he is please let me know!!
gaRfish deetektiv servisis limitid (verry fkin limitid sum mite saiy) arr att yorr servis.

heers a starrter forr tenn

iz naim iz dan an hee livvs att.......

< Edit: Contact details deleted. More information here. JK >

gArf
Old 12 October 2006, 17:32   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Ah.... I know of this guy-had problems with him myself. Trades as various different names, been kicked off ebay twice before as well. Previous ID was Outboardspares and PC-Ink

< Edit: Contact details deleted. More information here. JK > is his mother's address. Go and visit him. SHE will make him pay you back-she's done it before.

If you report him to ebay for rejoining he'll be banned again.

BEst advice is not to buy anything from Bury St Edmunds unless you can verify it's not him. He's very prolific.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2006, 17:55   #6

RIBase
Thanks for the responces Seems he's well known. I've contacted ebay. He should get banned.

Now I've got the information hopefully I can get it sorted. Another ebay member who I've been in touch with has contacted the police. I'll pass it onto him.

He was apparantly renting a unit on a farm near cambridge this time.

I won't buy an outboard off ebay again, unless I can view before bidding. I guess I'll save up over the winter for a brand new outboard maybe even a proper Rib.
Old 12 October 2006, 19:07   #7

Town: jersey
Length: 10m +
riversendmarine

his name is dan cooper, he has more than one mobile phone number, he rented a lock up at wayside farm isleham from a chris harvey,i foolishly paid for parcelforce to collect an engine from there, no engine, no dan cooper.
i had an email from < Edit: Contact details deleted. More information here. JK >, dont know if its his mother wife or g/f though
Old 12 October 2006, 20:09   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
I think thats his mum. The < Edit: Contact details deleted. More information here. JK > address should get a result of some kind if you send the police there.

Pay him a visit.

Old 12 October 2006, 20:39   #9

Town: jersey
Length: 10m +
riversendmarine

the police were very slow in coming forward, they just thought he was a bad businessman, hes very convincing with his apologies , but ultimately hes just fobbing us all off
Old 12 October 2006, 20:54   #10

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
Ebay dont tar all with the same brush!!

Hi Ive been reading this thread with interest as i have sold and bought many outboards and dinghys over the last couple of years.

some sellers are reputable, as technology is better these days if you need to see an engine but its a distance away why not get the seller to video it running on a mobile and either mms or email it to you or ask to set it via web cam or Skype

just an idea

Andy
Old 12 October 2006, 21:16   #11

RIBase
I have also sold a couple of outboards through ebay. They were both sold successfully and the buyers were pleased. Each time the buyer collected and I showed it them running. However I would prefer to buy through boatsandoutboards as there is no legal contract like with ebay.

I was very foolish to send this payment and I will always view an outboard before buying in the future. A video of the outboard running is a very good idea.

Unfortunatly secondhand outboards seem quite rare where I live. Incidently the ones that do come up for sale usually have been used in fresh water only and have had quite an easy life. Its very rare to see anything over 25hp though.
Old 13 October 2006, 03:49   #12
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
I've sold loads too with no problems.

Dan Cooper is fairly identifiable by his writing style and the area-if in doubt don't buy it.

Old 13 October 2006, 10:16   #13

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
yeah with a copy of todays newspaper in view aswell jut incase its an old vid of it running, (hence possibly why its being sold) cant cheat that ey
Old 26 October 2006, 22:50   #14

Town: suffolk
Im Not As Bad As U Make Out!

Hello, seeing as u are slating me here i thought id come on and sort things out, i can think of a few problems, ie an old b100 that my parcel company wouldnt take (Foottitt!) refunded. a 4.5 evinrude which got sent claimed never arrived, refunded. i have had a couple of problems lately but i looked through my receipt i spent over £1,000 at the post office in 8 weeks sending parts out without adding DHL, PF etc. so come on everyone makes mistakes and if i was that out of order to obtin money by deception id do it for a few thousand not 200 quid for a old outboard... i am sorting anyone with a problem out - i check my email riversend@hotmail.co.uk so dont go giving me a bad name - i can help a lot of people out i have a 40ft container worth of good quality 80s 90s 00 spares. look forward to hearing from anyone. also the reason my id riversendmarine was booted from ebay was because I didnt complete transaction for 3 items and got unpaid item strikes!!
Old 27 October 2006, 08:58   #15

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I havnt had any dealings with you and dont know the ins and outs of this thread. However it has got me asking the question how someone gets into a such mess if they genuinely are selling the items as described. I have been selling (mainly boaty stuff) on ebay since 2002. Yes I have had incidents where people havn't been happy with whatever it is they have bought and there have been a few cases where things have got "lost" in the post. Yet, to date, I have a feedback of over 400, all 100% positive. Im not knocking you but how come you've left it so late before trying to sort this out?
IMHO people who abuse ebay and sell complete crap undermine the system and devalue it for the rest of us. Again Im not tarnishing you with the same brush (that is unless you really are ripping people off) its just this is a subject which I feel quite strongly about (as a self confessed ebay addict).
Old 27 October 2006, 09:36   #16

hi tim, the stuff i sell is high quality as new used parts but im moving to a boatyard, its not much of a mess just 3 people awaiting on small engines which im sending out today and 2 people need a refund but youy know what its like it doesnt take many to cause a problem, i have a 40ft containers worth of spare parts - all working good condition electricals, gearboxes, powerheads, starter motors. not a lot i dont have!!!
Old 27 October 2006, 10:02   #17

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I see Samt is a student who tried to buy a Mariner 6 off you. Did he get all his money back or just half of it ?

Peter
Old 27 October 2006, 10:38   #18

I am sending his Engine and prop as ordered today and will not be chasing the money he hass been refunded, ie he is getting it half price.
Old 27 October 2006, 10:49   #19

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversendmarine View Post
I am sending his Engine and prop as ordered today and will not be chasing the money he hass been refunded, ie he is getting it half price.
That would be a good result for a young student, thank you.

Peter
Old 27 October 2006, 12:07   #20

No problem, thanks for understanding