Old 21 January 2008, 10:46   #1

Town: London
Length: 3m +
Alternatives to RIBs?!

< Edit: Split from Anyone know of a forum as good as this for hard-hulled boats?! JK >

Help!

Went to the boatshow with Mrs. Lordy last week and now have a bit of a dilemma! (Thanks for your advice so far Cookee!)

Mrs Lordy feels that a SIB will be little more than a ‘taxi’ – it’ll get us from A to B, as long as B isn’t too far – but it has very little ‘living space’. She is very taken with these bowrider/solid hull type boats. We can anchor it and have lunch at sea etc. etc. It will also be safer to venture further afield than just the estuary at Salcombe.

Can see her point, but I'm still sold on a SIB, so may just have to get a smaller second-hand one.

Anyway, now I'm looking at used bowriders. Must admit, there seem to be some bargains out there - and they hold their price well - but I don’t know the first thing about these types of boats/engines, if I’m honest.

Thanks all.

Lordy
Old 21 January 2008, 12:05   #2

Id make sure you get out on one before you buy!
I bought a Crownline BR180 bowrider - Nice boat, well built.
But these boats have a very flat bottom so anything other than a mill pond is a rough ride!!!!

Hope that helps!!
Old 21 January 2008, 12:17   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Totally agree - most of common American style boats just aren't up to typical British conditions. Fine on a nice calm day but how many of those do we get???

If she wants something with a bit of comfort etc that is not a RIB then maybe you should look at things like the Whiteshark and Flyer walk arounds.
Old 21 January 2008, 12:44   #4

Flat Bottom

Thanks all - the YBW site looks good.

And the flat bottom comments might explain why the chap on the Chris Craft stand kept going on about the deep V hull. (At >£50k, I should hope so!)

So - another question. Is there a measurement that refers to the depth (or V'ness) of the hull? I'm sure I've seen something somewhere.

Thanks again!
Old 21 January 2008, 13:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Totally agree - most of common American style boats just aren't up to typical British conditions. Fine on a nice calm day but how many of those do we get???

If she wants something with a bit of comfort etc that is not a RIB then maybe you should look at things like the Whiteshark and Flyer walk arounds.
Thanks Codprawn!

Yes, most of the bowriders seem to be American. I quite liked the Larson range, not least because they were affordable! Hadn't factored in the flat bottom bit on a fibreglass boat.

I did also look at some of the open boats, like the White Shark, though they didn't look quite as comfy for the passengers. Do they tend to have a deeper hull though?

(Best family boat I saw was a 5.5m Zodiac RIB. One day, one day!!)

Cheers.
Old 21 January 2008, 15:26   #6

Whitesharks are pretty good in the chop - talking of Bowriders there is one that's pretty good -

http://fletcher-boats.co.uk/boat_showroom.asp

Not as flash as the Yank boats but a great hull and pedigree - British through and through.

To be honest it all depends on budget - how much are you going to spend?

Oh and talking of Forums YBW is good but nothing seems to be a match for Ribnet(see JK even when you moan I stick up for you)!!!
Old 21 January 2008, 16:59   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
went out on a Karnic 2050, looks a great boat, saw some ribs playing in the surf, was bluntly told to go nowhere near them, due to the hull not being able to take it, !! i replied, "but we live on a island" basicall it was pretty awfull and not the type of boat to be seen out in anthing but flat calm,

and no i wasnt jumping ship!!
Old 21 January 2008, 17:37   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
Is there a measurement that refers to the depth (or V'ness) of the hull? ...
Yup, it is in degrees of the V side to the horizontal usually taken at the transom and sometimes referred to as deadrise. 25-26° is very deep. 22-24° is more common. 18° would be a bit harsh. Many hulls are not a single angle in the V so it's not entirely clear cut.
Old 21 January 2008, 19:24   #9

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
A friend has a Whiteshark of @6.5M not sure exactly though.

Have to say I was very impressed with the ride and how dry it was in the rough.

Nasher.
Old 22 January 2008, 08:58   #10

Quote:
Whitesharks are pretty good in the chop - talking of Bowriders there is one that's pretty good -

http://fletcher-boats.co.uk/boat_showroom.asp

Not as flash as the Yank boats but a great hull and pedigree - British through and through.

To be honest it all depends on budget - how much are you going to spend?

Oh and talking of Forums YBW is good but nothing seems to be a match for Ribnet(see JK even when you moan I stick up for you)!!!
Thanks Codprawn - I used to have a Fletcher when I worked in Middle East about 25 years ago - it was tiny, but very nippy. I'll revisit the Fletcher boatyard then!

Not sure on whether to go brand new or second-hand - some of these boats certainly seem to keep their value second-hand, so not an awful lot more for a new one (with deals etc.)

Having said that I've seen some second-hand 'yank' boats around the £5/6/7k mark, so was tempted by that route.

Anyway - I'll see what Fletchers go for.

And yes - can't find anything to beat Ribnet!!
Old 22 January 2008, 09:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Yup, it is in degrees of the V side to the horizontal usually taken at the transom and sometimes referred to as deadrise. 25-26° is very deep. 22-24° is more common. 18° would be a bit harsh. Many hulls are not a single angle in the V so it's not entirely clear cut.
Cheers JW - now I know what deadrise means! The Larsons I was considering are 20°, but the Fletchers Codprawn recommends are 24° - a much better bet for our choppy English seas.
Old 22 January 2008, 09:58   #12

Town: poole
Make: ring
Engine: 150xr2
whatever you buy have it surveyed for any structural problems, over on boatmad their have been a number of threads about people rebuilding their boats after finding some quite major rot problems and then happy boating
Old 22 January 2008, 10:43   #13

You won't get a new Fletcher for that sort of money - look on boats and outboards or Ebay - plenty of older models with new engines around.
Old 22 January 2008, 11:30   #14

Quote:
You won't get a new Fletcher for that sort of money - look on boats and outboards or Ebay - plenty of older models with new engines around.
No - I wouldn't get a new ANYTHING for that sort of money. Would budget around £15/17k new, but still undecided about new vs. second hand...
Old 22 January 2008, 16:52   #15

2nd hand that price would get you plenty of really nice boats!!! maybe even a proper rib......
Old 22 January 2008, 19:25   #16

Town: Essex
Boat name: Crooked Bow
Make: Zodiac Pro Open 550
Engine: Evinrude etec 115
If your budget is 17K then you will be able to get a new rib (~5.5M) or bow rider. For that price I have also seen 2nd hand (2-3 yrs old) Cap Camarat 625's which are great sea boats that can well handle our local conditions - I think they normally come with a 115 or 140 Suzuki in an open or closed cockpit style. White Shark (Kelt boats) are great - flared bow - foam filled hull - but generally quite pricey for a good example. If you have money to burn then go for a Boston Whaler/Verado package!!
Old 22 January 2008, 20:48   #17

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I found that when looking for a new boat ,trying to find deadrise angles quoted etc was difficult .
In the end I found just looking at the different hullshapes of boats at the boatshow etc was the easiest thing and comparing those with a quoted figure , to others unkown.
Maybe my line of work and past experience comparing hull shapes with kayaks for years made it easier for me ,but Iam sure its not too difficult to see what has a better v shape than another .

I think also the term bowrider is a bit misleading here as it conjures up an image of a carpeted speedboat with a babe in the bow used for posing . maybe sport utilty boat is a better description of what you are looking for . ?
Old 23 January 2008, 10:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveboy 71 View Post
If your budget is 17K then you will be able to get a new rib (~5.5M) or bow rider. For that price I have also seen 2nd hand (2-3 yrs old) Cap Camarat 625's which are great sea boats that can well handle our local conditions - I think they normally come with a 115 or 140 Suzuki in an open or closed cockpit style. White Shark (Kelt boats) are great - flared bow - foam filled hull - but generally quite pricey for a good example. If you have money to burn then go for a Boston Whaler/Verado package!!
FANTASTIC looking boat that CC625, Dave! Hadn't considered cuddy and bow space in this market. It's probably a bit of a big boat for a starter like me though, but will definitely keep it in mind, maybe as next boat once I've found my way around on the water.

But money to burn?? I wish - the kids make sure there's none of that!!!
Old 23 January 2008, 10:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I think also the term bowrider is a bit misleading here as it conjures up an image of a carpeted speedboat with a babe in the bow used for posing . maybe sport utilty boat is a better description of what you are looking for . ?
At my age, Ian, you're right - sport utility boat is what I'm after...but if a babe wants to come and pose in a bowrider, well...

Lordy

PS Obviously when Mrs Lordy and the kids aren't around!!
Old 23 January 2008, 11:09   #20

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I hired a Cap Camarrat 755 WA in menorca last summer with an etec 150 on the back.
It's by no means a pretty boat - nothing elegant or sleek about it, but was fabulously spacious & practical - perfect for what we wanted.
The vast bow meant a dry and forgiving ride, the girls could sunbathe on the foredeck whilst moored up, I could sit under the bimini and nod off in peace, the bathing platform & ladder made it easy to get on and off - even had a freshwater shower. Cabin size was very reasonable - could probably just about spend the night on board, or with kids on board woulda given them somwhere out of the way to play/change/eat etc.

I'm trying to remember how fast it went - I seem to remember it ran 47mph ish on the gps, which bearing in mind the smallish single motor, 4 up, full tanks and size of the boat, was pretty reasonable.