Old 24 January 2008, 14:44   #1

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Round Scotland

Just wondering if anyone on here is planning to the round scotland trip hosted by RIB Int. Similiar to RB4 but limited to 4.5 meters. I know im bias but seems like a good event, just thinking in which boat to take, 455 Ribtec or Thundercat. As a Thundercat is a fantastic sea boat when rough, you dont have to batter your way through stuff the whole time, if you sit back and enjoy it, also you can go into all the little caves etc you may not be able to in larger craft.

*Im awaiting to be called mad for suggesting a Thundercat-after saying that going round ireland was brave in a quicksilver.
Old 24 January 2008, 16:59   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Around Scotland, unless you know of a Scotland which is circular.
Old 24 January 2008, 19:24   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Around Scotland, unless you know of a Scotland which is circular.
JW with pedantry like that Codders would be proud of you!
Old 24 January 2008, 19:30   #4

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
JW with pedantry like that Codders would be proud of you!
Old 24 January 2008, 19:53   #5

Town: lattes
Boat name: BENEDETT
Make: lomac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70 HP
RIBase
north of Scottland

Good evening! does somebody tall me if the isles north from Scottland are easy to reach from Aberdeen or Inverness (or other harbour) by sea and with own car? I mean Shetland. I am ever in Corsica and Sardinia and, pensioned I think it is time to travel a little and change destinations! and I hope you can understand my bad English linguage! Thank you from a french from south!
Old 24 January 2008, 20:02   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aningoul View Post
Good evening! does somebody tall me if the isles north from Scottland are easy to reach from Aberdeen or Inverness (or other harbour) by sea and with own car? I mean Shetland. I am ever in Corsica and Sardinia and, pensioned I think it is time to travel a little and change destinations! and I hope you can understand my bad English linguage! Thank you from a french from south!
Ferry to the Shetlands leaves from Aberdeen. http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/ I think it takes about 12 hours. It is a vehicle ferry.

You can also get a ferry to the Orknies from there or from Scrabster (near Thurso at the top!).

It won't be cheap though...
Old 24 January 2008, 20:22   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I always considered Scotland to be pretty square myself....

And yet again here is someone using bias instead of biased - why??? Especially seeing as his father is a magazine editor!!!

A pedant - me???
Old 24 January 2008, 20:26   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Especially seeing as his father is a magazine editor!!!
You think that helps!?
Old 24 January 2008, 20:34   #9

Town: East Coast
Make: Chaudron 33
Engine: Black uns
MMSI: dunno wot this iz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Just wondering if anyone on here is planning to the round scotland trip hosted by RIB Int. Similiar to RB4 but limited to 4.5 meters. I know im bias but seems like a good event, just thinking in which boat to take, 455 Ribtec or Thundercat. As a Thundercat is a fantastic sea boat when rough, you dont have to batter your way through stuff the whole time, if you sit back and enjoy it, also you can go into all the little caves etc you may not be able to in larger craft.

*Im awaiting to be called mad for suggesting a Thundercat-after saying that going round ireland was brave in a quicksilver.

This as gotta be a wind up,
Around Scotland in a 4 mt, why not get Johnney Rocket with you in his, best time is in Mid December Running at night only just to make it interesting.
gaZ
Old 25 January 2008, 11:24   #10
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Tom, I didn't know about this challenge, is it in RI?

My own boat (XS850/twin 200 Verado) is a little large (fortunately!), but I might be tempted into coming along as a support RIB.

Jim
Old 25 January 2008, 13:36   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Is this challenge a bit like a Triathalon - the leg along the south shore involves trailers on country lanes, and the third part of the challenge is to see who can launch & recover fastest?

....or does the "south shore" leg involve a small diversion via Folkestone & Lizard point?

A bit like JIY I've too many metres to take part, but could maybe help in a support role.
Old 25 January 2008, 13:57   #12

Yes its a RIB Int event, if you call the office there, dad will give you all the info you need. I do have to comment on the sense of humour expressed here on Rib.net, it did make me chuckle this morning when reading what people had put on this post.

Regarding the bias spelling, I was never good at english, having said this dont be petty regards the term "Round Scotland".

Now whats the genuine thought on what craft you would use if you were thinking of going round Scotland in a craft less than 4.5 meters?

And no, its not a joke, we circumnavigated Britain in 2004 in craft less than 5 meters, the boats proved themsleves to be fantastic. The whole idea of the event is to remember Micheal Alexander(passed away in 06), who in an Avon Searider over 20 years ago circumnavigated Scotland. So with all our 08 engine technology and modern hull design and build quailty, why is this not an event, able of completion?
Old 25 January 2008, 14:02   #13

I believe craft of all sizes are welcome, RIBs over 4.5 meters are welcome as support craft. Although please remember although Im Hugos son, im not running the event or part of the team who are so dont know all the details, just simply taking part. If you call the RIB office they will have all the info you need. Its from the 1st-8th of August 08
Old 25 January 2008, 15:01   #14

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
why is this not an event, able of completion?
Well it probably is, but the organisers have rather limited the field.

Tom when did Michael and Richard do the first trip around Scotland? I thought 1989. Have a read back through the old BIBOA journals if you have access to them. Sadly Michael passed away in 2004. Had a great argument with him standing on the quay at Scrabster in 1992. I told him that Rib No 38 was beached in the middle of nowhere on the West Coast of Scotland. He said rubbish it finished an hour ago. An interesting debate followed as we had definately watched a young Paul Lemmer tie the two Mariner 50 hp engines up to his rib console 4 hours previously. Why? well he had snapped the transom which was now bending backwards and forwards as each wave rolled past the stern. Seemed the only thing stopping the whole lot falling off was the tubes. We followed him into the shore and he beached it in a deserted cove with no obvious road access and probably 60 miles from the nearest civilisation. When we asked Paul and his navigator (Barrus Sales Manager) if they wanted a lift he waved us on and said don't worry we will sort something out, just let the finish control know, which we did, hence the argument with Michael because there was no way that boat over took us. After a hour or so it transpired there were two ribs with No 38s in the race.
Oh and Paul Lemmer and Co? well they picked up a trailer and brought the rib across to Scrabster that night. A Scout hut requistioned and some late night GRP work by Mike and Ralph Williamson (who now build the Vipermaxes) saw them back on the water the following day.

Peter
Old 25 January 2008, 15:13   #15

Pete7 re his sad death in 2004, your right, time flies, he was a very wise man. I remember staying at his house as a young boy, and looking through all his old scrap books of his time in the army and the trips he made by inflatable boat, some the pictures where amazing. Im looking forward to the event, re his date on which he completed, i will investigate but I know it was around the 80s, although some of his scrap book stuff shows boating experiences of similiar mileage in soft bottom zodiacs etc. Was a very good seaman
Old 25 January 2008, 22:38   #16

Town: SE England
This event doesn't seem to have been publicised too well. Can only find a mention on one other forum last post Q4 2007.
Is there an event website?
Old 29 January 2008, 09:19   #17

More inf owill be in the next issue of RIB, bear in mind I have info alot quicker than the printed page so you may not have of heard much yet, I will attach the flyer i had sent to me, email hugo@ribmagazine.com or wait until next issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS4.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	32501