Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Single handed recovery

Any ideas on how to and/or equipment/ modifications to enable this to be done on a 7 m Rib. The major problem seems to be how to get off the boat without being chest deep in water. It is approx. 6 feet from the top of the tubes to the ground when on the trailer. I guess I could lasso the winch post for a temp. bow line so as to stop the boat floating away.
Anybody currently do single handed?
Old 17 May 2008, 23:01   #2

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Hi LL

I got some very helpful advice a while back in this thread, most of which I've followed! About half of my recoveries are solo.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15689

If there is no one around I will pull the boat onto the trailer with the bow line, and accept that I might get my feet wet (usually can balance on the trailer OK). If there is cross wind, or an onshore wind I'll wait until there is a passer by that will help with a control line.

There are some gadgets around that will "clip" the D ring to the winch post, but you need to drive the boat up all the way and I've never wanted to so this.

The problem with reaching down to the winch hitch is that you have to lean over the bow, and if the boat is not fully on the tailer, it tilts the bow up so it is higher still. I've done it but it felt like I could fall off.

I've been thinking of rigging up a long piece of PCV conduit with clips. (Could use an old fishing rod, or anything with a bit of flex, or maybe an angled join)The conduit would run from the tow bar, supported by the winch post or winch and droop down over the mid trailer. Before recovering, you would attach a rope to the clips - that will make the condiut droop to a reachable height. You then drive the boat onto the trailer, run up the front, grab the rope, pulling it off the clips, secure the boat, turn off the engine and winch up at your lesiure.

Sounds like it would work, but I've not tried it yet!

The other thing you could do is attach some steps / rungs to the hitch post to make it easier to clamber down.
Old 17 May 2008, 23:13   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I guess the most important thing for single handed launch and recovery is to have a sheltered slip. Nothing worse than having to contend with waves and cross currents.

Have you got a bow eye? if so attatch your rope to this and when launching keep hold of the rope or tie it off somewhere. Make sure this rope isn't too short otherwise it will tighten and snap/cause damage before the RIB's in the water. Plus you want the RIB clear of the end of the trailer a little so that you can pull it to one side without gouging large pieces of gel coat from the hull when it hit the end of the trailer.

Recovery might be as simple as driving the RIB onto the trailer, leaning over the bow and attaching the winch hook. I used to do this with kohaku and used the bow line to lassoo the winch post. I would nudge the bow into the rollers, straighten up the RIB with the trailer and using a quick blast on the throttle to drive her on. I would keep forward thrust with the engine whilst I made good the bow rope. Then thrust off, engine off, tilt up and jump off the bow to the trailer beneath, walking to over this to the shore.

Hope this has helped.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 23:17   #4

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apherel View Post
The other thing you could do is attach some steps / rungs to the hitch post to make it easier to clamber down.
Yes saw a Galvanized ladder welded to a drawbar for this purpose the other day, looked really funny with no boat on the trailer.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 00:07   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Any ideas on how to and/or equipment/ modifications to enable this to be done on a 7 m Rib. The major problem seems to be how to get off the boat without being chest deep in water.
Yep. You need to ensure the boat grounds onto the trailer and doesn't float off while you do what you need to do. For this I have a board of marine ply down the centre of the trailer onto which the boat lands when it comes about half way onto the trailer. I wear waders and walk to the front of the boat and drop myself overboard. It is about 6ft down but he water is only a couple of feet deep at the side of the bow. I guess you could stay almost dry by climbing over the bow but the waves will get ya and they are bound to soak your shoes.

Don't put the trailer in too deep and this helps with alignment when winching the boat on. You can let the vehicle further into the water if necessary as the boat moves forward.

I use bunks not rollers so alignment is important for me to get the chines to land accurately onto the bunks. I guddled about with a few things to keep the stern lined up when there is a crosswind. The solution is the rollers which were a topic of the stainless/galvanised steel welding thread. As the trailer is drawn out of the water the stern lowers onto the bunks and the rollers contact the hull first to guide it down accurately.

I've found being positive and driving the boat onto the trailer a little faster than you might expect is definitely a good thing. You keep steerage, the wind has less effect as does the ground drag from your bow wave. In my case, this always tends to skew the boat at the last moment if I pussyfoot around trying to be gentle.

For launching, I have an eye in a rope inboard at the bow and I clip the winch rope to it to prevent the boat floating off while I'm climbing aboard and starting the motor. When ready, I just go forward and drop the end of the winch rope over the winch.

It's much easier than writing this.
Old 18 May 2008, 00:11   #6

My bow is so high above the trailer that there is no way to reach anything. I had thought about attaching a section of Ally. ladder to the truck tow bar/bumper, with a simple hinge and retained somehow with a bungy cord at 45 degrees.
Thanks
Old 18 May 2008, 00:33   #7

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
My bow is so high above the trailer that there is no way to reach anything. I had thought about attaching a section of Ally. ladder to the truck tow bar/bumper, with a simple hinge and retained somehow with a bungy cord at 45 degrees.
Thanks
The ladder doesn't help you getting your hands on the winch strap or a rope to hold the boat on the trailer while you get organised to get off. So I think you'll need some way to reliably catch a rope attched to the trailer. I guess you could use a boat hook or similar to hook at loop if you are close enough. I'd avoid solutions that involve leaning over your tubes - especially at that height.
Old 18 May 2008, 01:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apherel View Post
The ladder doesn't help you getting your hands on the winch strap or a rope to hold the boat on the trailer while you get organised to get off. So I think you'll need some way to reliably catch a rope attched to the trailer. I guess you could use a boat hook or similar to hook at loop if you are close enough. I'd avoid solutions that involve leaning over your tubes - especially at that height.

Think I will bolt a samson post to the top of the suburban and lasso it.
The pic. will show the problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	34833  
Old 18 May 2008, 08:20   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
That's a long way up! I assume it can't be lowered?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 09:17   #10

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
single handed recovery

i came accross a system being advertized at SIBs last year that looked really good it hand some rollers and lines that grabed the boat as it went on to the trailer, but i can not think what it was called

the other is powerlaunch www.powerlaunch.co.uk a sort of remote controlled trailer !!

there is a video on there web site

Andy
Old 18 May 2008, 12:45   #11

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Having a couple of upright poles fixed each side to the trailor can help, we use them all the time and it makes single handed launch recovery much more controled especally if tide or wind is blowing you side ways,put the trailor in the water a bit deeper then just drive the boat between the posts , mine are made from old aluminium scaffolding poles and using scafolding clips i can remove them for road use .RNLI lifeboats use the same idea for there atlantic 7.5 and 8.5 ribs though there poles can extend about 4meters or more up for landing or launching in surf .
Old 18 May 2008, 13:56   #12

I have fitted extra guide rollers at both bow and stern and will probably fit removable poles. I will do a dry fit up with a section of ladder for the bow and see how it works. Great bunch of tips. Thanks
Old 19 May 2008, 03:27   #13

here are a couple of pics. of the guide rollers. They are really HD with 1cm thick powder coated steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0033.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	34856   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0035.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	34857  
Old 19 May 2008, 12:50   #14

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I launch our boats single handed more often than not - we use the Salcombe slipway which is just the right slope for this sort of thing.

Launching -

Reverse down the slip until the rear wheels of the car are just short of the water, board boat via the front of the trailer (our boats are low enough to do this), start engine, undo winch and reverse off.

Retrieving -

Park car in exactly the same place - run around to the new pontoon where you left your boat and drive the boat onto the trailer - leave in gear whilst attaching the winch on the roller trailer. Turn engine off and tilt engine, jump off onto dry concrete and drive away in less than half the time of a team of big burly divers who have expired from winching their dive boat on wearing thick dry suits!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 16:43   #15

Cookee

Like it very slick

but when i last tried this banged the prop on the bottom as trailer not deep enough !!

also each time i went the the front the boat slipped back again

eventually got the painter over the winch

now though dead easy have a mitsibushi delica with rear ladder easy to loop line round and then climb over bow and down ladder clip on strap winch in and tie off painter around the post, then drive up slip

Andy
Old 20 May 2008, 04:34   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
Like it very slick

but when i last tried this banged the prop on the bottom as trailer not deep enough !!

now though dead easy have a mitsibushi delica with rear ladder easy to loop line round and then climb over bow and down ladder clip on strap winch in and tie off painter around the post, then drive up slip

Andy
Thanks Andy
That is my plan also; together with more practice from the driver. I also have not been getting the trailer in deep enough, but when I do the bow drifts off to one side hence the guide rollers. They only cost 200 bucks so worth a try. I have been used to a 26ft yacht that still has steerage at 1 knot. Big difference on a RIB.
Cheers, T.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:43   #17

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
Like it very slick

Andy
Andy, You need a slip with the right angle and a trailer that isn't going to tip your bow up a ding the prop, but I've never had that happen - we launched and recovered the boat at the Hamble point Marina for the Sports Boat and Rib show this way without any problems.

I leave the boat in gear so it can't slide back into the water - not sure if it's correct, but where is the boat going to go?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 17:04   #18

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Retrieving -

Park car in exactly the same place - run around to the new pontoon where you left your boat and drive the boat onto the trailer - leave in gear whilst attaching the winch on the roller trailer. Turn engine off and tilt engine, jump off onto dry concrete and drive away in less than half the time of a team of big burly divers who have expired from winching their dive boat on wearing thick dry suits!
That's pretty much how I do mine and to the uninitiated, if you get it right (not always!) they can be very impressed at how slick it all is

There was a time when I really wanted a roller trailer but now I have got all the beaches sussed to be able to launch and retrieve "somewhere" at any state of the tide, I wouldn't swap this one for anything as it is so so easy to do the job single handed. All I really need is a step on the front of the trailer so I can climb up and down a bit easier, but that isn't hard to sort out.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 20:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Andy, You need a slip with the right angle and a trailer that isn't going to tip your bow up a ding the prop, but I've never had that happen - we launched and recovered the boat at the Hamble point Marina for the Sports Boat and Rib show this way without any problems.

I leave the boat in gear so it can't slide back into the water - not sure if it's correct, but where is the boat going to go?

I know but I am limited to launching slips up here there's only Pwheilli marine that i can really use at all states of tide other than that its a beach launch which is easy really as long as you dont mind dipping the stumpy bits below the knee in ! and a good long bit of rope for the pull out at low tide

Andy
Old 21 May 2008, 16:00   #20

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Couple of options:

http://www.rope-a-boat.com/

http://www.boatlatch.com/

http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/content/view/14/31/

Hope one of them works for you (Careful; the 2nd one is like $500 Aussie...)

jky