Old 21 June 2008, 17:13   #1

Town: manchester
Length: 3m +
SIB for wakeboarding, Skiing and Fishing

Hi All,
Great to find a forum that includes SIB’s.
I’m heading off to Spain in 6 weeks for a month and I want to take a boat with me. The site I stay on has a small jetty which is only really suitable for hand launching. So I’ve decided the best approach would be a SIB with transom wheels. I want to use it for wakeboarding/Skiing/Fishing and family trips staying relatively close to shore.
I’m a complete novice when it comes to boats and would appreciate some recommendations on boat/engine packages. My budget is up to £3500 and I’m happy to buy used.

So far I’ve looked at Zodiac Futura’s, Excel’s and Quicksilver’s

Also, any recommendations on RYA level 2 powerboat courses? I’m based in sunny Manchester!

Cheers

Adam
Old 21 June 2008, 22:19   #2

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
depends on size you need for the size of family . Your budget would get you a new honda or quicksilver and engine up to 4m and 20- 25hp . I don't think a sib that size will tow a wakeboard or skier easily .
Also depends on how you intend to transport it , a 3.8 air and 25hp 2 stroke are about as much as you can carry and fold down etc with ease and it would fill a large estate car
Most bigger sibs end up on a trailer and then you had just as well buy a solid hull boat
have a search in the new sib section there are lots of similar posts to yours and you can see what people eneded up with .

I had a 3.8 honda air floor with a 20hp honda engine new for about 3k that was certainly one of the best lightwieght sibs I have seen ,
Old 22 June 2008, 06:24   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Adam

How important is wakeboarding/skiing? How much space have you got in your vehicle? Could you tow a trailer? How many people do you want to carry?

To ski you're going to want at least 25hp, and a biggish inflatable around 4m. This is going to take up a load of space if you have to pack it somewhere, but would be easy to trailer and could still be launched across the beach using a decent set of transom wheels. Something like a Zodiac Futura with a 40hp would be a lot of fun, but could be a struggle to get across the beach.

If you need something that is light and easy to set up, and packs away reasonably small, then a Quicksilver 340 would fit the bill cheaply. If you can find a 15hp 2-stroke then you've got a great combination for fishing and exploring, but you won't ski behind it. If you have to pack it away after each use then I'd get an airdeck, but if you can leave it inflated for the duration then I'd get a wooden/ali floor for better performance. Alternatively the Bombard 380 Aerotec has had good reviews here, and performs better than most air decks (it's about twice the price of a QS 340 though).

John
Old 22 June 2008, 06:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Adam

How important is wakeboarding/skiing? How much space have you got in your vehicle? Could you tow a trailer? How many people do you want to carry?

To ski you're going to want at least 25hp, and a biggish inflatable around 4m. This is going to take up a load of space if you have to pack it somewhere, but would be easy to trailer and could still be launched across the beach using a decent set of transom wheels. Something like a Zodiac Futura with a 40hp would be a lot of fun, but could be a struggle to get across the beach.

If you need something that is light and easy to set up, and packs away reasonably small, then a Quicksilver 340 would fit the bill cheaply. If you can find a 15hp 2-stroke then you've got a great combination for fishing and exploring, but you won't ski behind it. If you have to pack it away after each use then I'd get an airdeck, but if you can leave it inflated for the duration then I'd get a wooden/ali floor for better performance. Alternatively the Bombard 380 Aerotec has had good reviews here, and performs better than most air decks (it's about twice the price of a QS 340 though).

John
Sorry, should have mentioned in my original post, I plan to leave it permanently inflated and transport it on a trailer. I would perhaps up my budget and go for a RIB, but launching it would be an issue due to the location and jetty size. I've got a pickup truck so towing isn't an issue.
Old 22 June 2008, 07:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Adam

John
Forgot to answer the other questions, wakeboarding/skiing is quite high on the list and I need space for 3-4 adults.

Cheers

Adam
Old 22 June 2008, 07:40   #6
Administrator

How about this:

2001 Zodiac Futura Mk11 Sport 4.2m
40hp Mercury
Snipe trailer
Launching wheels

£3,695

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/SAM125

John
Old 22 June 2008, 08:15   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
if you want to ski, whilst carrying 3-4 persons on board, you need Minimum 50 hp which really takes you to the next level, A rIB, i really dont think you will ski with that weight,
i had a Quicksilver with a shortshaft Tohatsu 40 hp, all new and it would only just get my mate up with two of us in the boat, and that was a ally floor, it was a struggle tho,
Old 22 June 2008, 09:11   #8

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. The Futura looks the ticket and seems to fit the bill, I'll look into it.

When wakeboarding/Skiing it will just be 1 adult in the boat, so this should help.

Also, any opinions on Excel inflatable’s, perhaps the XHD430?

Thanks for all the help, it's took 2 years to convince my wife that we need a boat, I want to make sure I buy correctly.

Cheers

Adam
Old 22 June 2008, 10:52   #9

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
have just seen a fully loaded Futura 430 with centre consol and Merc 30,etc etc all looked great, Samspeed Marine in Falfield ,Gloucester, Near Thornbury,
Old 22 June 2008, 12:30   #10
Administrator

That's the one on B&O

John
Old 06 July 2008, 10:04   #11

Town: NE
Boat name: RedGazelle
Make: Gemini GRX420 SIB
Engine: Mariner 40 2s
Adam
I have a Gemini GRX 420 SIB with a 40hp - no problems wakeboarding behind that with 3 adults onboard. I Imagine the Ceasar Surfcat would perform the same, and maybe the Zodiac Futura Mk II previosly described.

I would anticipate you will have problems planing with 3 adults whilst towing if you choose a SIB that hasn't a catamaran hull or 'speed tubes'.

Hope this helps,

Ed
Old 06 July 2008, 11:51   #12

Towing behind the Gemini 420. Using a surfboard here, practising for tow-in to waves, but wakeboard works too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n665510378_1297816_7345.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	36204  
Old 07 July 2008, 02:51   #13

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
depends on size you need for the size of family . Your budget would get you a new honda or quicksilver and engine up to 4m and 20- 25hp . I don't think a sib that size will tow a wakeboard or skier easily .
Also depends on how you intend to transport it , a 3.8 air and 25hp 2 stroke are about as much as you can carry and fold down etc with ease and it would fill a large estate car
Most bigger sibs end up on a trailer and then you had just as well buy a solid hull boat
have a search in the new sib section there are lots of similar posts to yours and you can see what people eneded up with .

I had a 3.8 honda air floor with a 20hp honda engine new for about 3k that was certainly one of the best lightwieght sibs I have seen ,
Even with a small SIB and motor that can be fit into the back of a car, it is worthwhile to have a trailer for it - provided you have the space to keep a trailer. With my 11 foot zodiac, I would always set up it up and take it down at the launch site with each use. Set up would usually take about 20-25 minutes (with a foot pump), takedown about 10-12 minutes. In retrospect (now that I have a trailer) I would have used that boat much more frequently if I had it already set up and on a trailer. Nevertheless, having the ability to transport and launch it without a trailer made it much more versatile.

There are both advantages and disadvantages of larger SIBs (in the 4.2 to 5.3 meter range) compared to RIBs of the same length. The SIBs will be considerably lighter in weight and transport/launching/landing can still be done without the use of a trailer (if you have a pickup truck), but it is definitely not convenient do so. In the event that you might wish to launch from a location where a trailer launch is impossible, you still have this option with a SIB, whereas you don't with a RIB. Also, the SIB will have a much shallower draft than a RIB, allowing it to go through shallow creeks that would hang up a rigid hull.

A large catamaran hulled SIB will handle easily and comfortably at speed in choppy conditions that would toss you right out of a a v-keeled SIB. While it won't cut through 3 foot+ waves in the way that a deep V-hulled RIB will, a cat-hulled SIB will still provide a stable and remarkably dry ride - but with more up and down movement (with reasonably soft landings).
Old 07 July 2008, 09:51   #14

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
We waterski with 2 or 3 adults and a couple of children on board behind a Zodiac Futura 4.2 with a Yamaha 50hp.

I originally wanted the flexibility of being able to deflate the SIB and (just about) get it in the back of a Landrover - nice idea in theory, but it has just stayed on the trailer because it's so easy to launch & recover !

The Gemini's are fantastic and they rarely seem to appear secondhand (bigger speed tubes than the Futura). Another one to consider would be a Zapcat ...
Old 07 July 2008, 13:38   #15

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
there still doesn't seem to be a uk dealer for the gemini , which is a shame as it seems to be a lot of boat and the bonus of hypalon rather than pvc .
Does anyone have any idea how much they cost new .
The surfcat is quite an expensive boat compred to other pvc sibs but i guess you are paying for the design and performance
Old 07 July 2008, 17:01   #16

Buying a Gemini Boat in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
there still doesn't seem to be a uk dealer for the gemini , which is a shame as it seems to be a lot of boat and the bonus of hypalon rather than pvc .
Does anyone have any idea how much they cost new .
The surfcat is quite an expensive boat compred to other pvc sibs but i guess you are paying for the design and performance
It may be worth trying Paul Lemmer at Ribs Ltd. He certainly is a fan of the gemini boats, I recall speaking to him a few years back and hearing how the Gemini GRX were some of the most fun boats he had driven.

His website says that he is an agent for gemini.

http://www.ribsltd.co.uk/sales.html
Old 07 July 2008, 22:03   #17

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
I bought a military spec gemini earlier this year from JBT marine for £1k. They had a batch of them. I got delivered this week a short shaft 50hp twostroke carbed Tohatsu manual tiller from Extreme Marine for £2250. I think they have one left. I'm going to order an indespension merit 1 inflatable boat trailer this week depending if the Gemini is 4.2 of 4.5m. so there'll be not much change out of £780. There's a Gemini military for sale on B&O for about £800.