Click Here to Login

Old 28 July 2008, 20:42   #1

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
Advice on cursing the Scottish West Coast

We are thinking of cursing the Scottish West Coast in 2009 and if we like it in 2010 as well.

Our initial idea is to move the RIB to somewhere like the Dunstaffnage Marina Nr Oban where it can be stored ashore. When we come up we could take a berth in Tobermory Harbour and rent a cottage nearby for a couple of weeks.

Looking at it if we were based on the northern end of Mull we would be in striking distance of lots of nice places. Storing the boat in Dunstaffnage means it is just that bit easier for us to get to (and us get it there).

Could any of you Scottish contributors recommend anything? Good places for storage of the RIB, Good harbours, Good Pubs, Good B&Bs and Good Self catering accommodation.

We are thinking of coming up for a few days in August to do a bit of resonance. I reckon it’s an 8hr drive for us to reach Dunstaffnage from where we live.

The RIB is currently in Spain where it is stored undercover when we are not there. We don’t have a trailer at all, just a cradle with dolly wheels on it which is used when she is stored undercover or when in transit. I would arrange for it to be trucked direct to Scotland.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Jon
Old 28 July 2008, 20:43   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Why not - they deserve it for dumping Gordon Brown on us!!!
Old 28 July 2008, 21:13   #3

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Yeah, why curse us? What have we ever done to you?
You will probably need a launching trolley of some sort, facilities are a bit more basic up here although the larger marinas have good facilities.
You'll probably pay through the nose to get a RIB lifted in and out on a regular basis though, be warned!
Old 28 July 2008, 21:46   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
[QUOTE=Jon.esp;257946] We are thinking of cursing the Scottish West Coast in 2009 and if we like it in 2010 as well.

B*****d Scottish West Coast.
Old 28 July 2008, 21:47   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Is the dolly its on suitable for launching with say a tractor? if so may be worth giving paul at Linnhe Marine (07721 503981) a call. Sensible prices, & friendly service. - But he has no "lifting" facilities. No vested interest - was keeping my boat there till recently (now moved closer to home, as wasn't using it enough). But if we were to put a boat back in the oban area - it would probably be there.
Old 29 July 2008, 00:14   #6

Town: INVERURIE
Boat name: Ranger
Make: Ribcraft 5.45
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 HP Outboard
MMSI: 235010772
If you are looking for self catering then Lochaline dive centre in the sound of mull
http://www.lochalinedivecentre.co.uk/index.html has bunk house accommodation which is self catering, bunks are two to a room they also have their own mooring for guests.

Although it is a dive centre walkers, fishermen and anybody looking for accommodation use it Mark who owns the place is very accommodating.

You would need to book ahead as it is busy at the weekend.
Old 29 July 2008, 06:20   #7

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.esp View Post
Our initial idea is to move the RIB to somewhere like the Dunstaffnage Marina Nr Oban where it can be stored ashore. When we come up we could take a berth in Tobermory Harbour and rent a cottage nearby for a couple of weeks.

Jon
Sounds like a good plan to me. Dunstaffnage is a very nice marina (and getting better all the time), and launching there is pretty good although you will need a trailer. Plenty of good self catering accommodation on Mull. I have used this site a couple of times to find places when I'm working over there http://isle-of-mull-accommodation.co...-catering.html. Be aware that Tobermory harbour gets fairly busy in the summer and you may find it hard to get a berth (visitors moorings generally more available than alongside the pontoon if you can get ashore from your boat)

Make sure you visit the Mish Nish at Tobermory, and I hope you have a great time
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2008, 06:45   #8

Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
another one you could try is http://www.drbmarine.co.uk/

it is located in Rosneath on the gareloch across the water from RHU marina ....donny can also store and launch for you ........he is also only about 20mins from Glasgow airport if you decide to fly up rather than drive

Ian
Old 29 July 2008, 08:49   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandl View Post
he is also only about 20mins from Glasgow airport
have you been an estate agent in a former life?
Old 29 July 2008, 08:52   #10

Thanks for all the responses

1. Polwart. Thanks for the suggestion of Linnhe Marine. The cradle with dolly wheels is very basic and is not designed for launching. The dolly wheels are like furniture casters and the cradle only supports the centre of the hull. I suppose I could get it modified by a fabricator but at the end of the day it may be cheaper to pick up a launching trolley or elderly trailer locally. Do you know of any around up there?

2. Grasshopper. Thanks for the Lochaline Dive Centre suggestion. We will check it out as it may be an idea for a few days.

3. Ian thanks for the DRB suggestion. I will check it out but I think we were hoping to be a bit further north. Flying sounds good but one of the attractions of moving the boat to the UK / Ireland is so we can take the dog. The stewardesses have a sense of humour failure when the find a Lab in the overhead cabin locker!!!

4. Ian W Thanks for the link for the accommodation. Re the launching at Dunstaffnage and a trailer see 1. above. I have however already emailed them to see what they can offer. I had though I would pre book a mooring preferably a pontoon at Tobermory but haven’t contacted them to see if this could be done. It looks a busy place on their site. What is the Mish Nish?

5. Anybody. What about making 1,2or 3 day trips up further north? Rum, Egg, Skye etc. I found a site for The Old Forge near Mallaig so is it worth a visit?

Thanks again

Jon
Old 29 July 2008, 10:46   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses

1. Polwart. Thanks for the suggestion of Linnhe Marine. The cradle with dolly wheels is very basic and is not designed for launching. The dolly wheels are like furniture casters and the cradle only supports the centre of the hull. I suppose I could get it modified by a fabricator but at the end of the day it may be cheaper to pick up a launching trolley or elderly trailer locally. Do you know of any around up there?
I am not sure if all the trailers in the dinghy park have owners or not, or if any of them belong to Paul. You could give paul a ring and see if he has a way of doing what you want/need. The other option there would be to keep it afloat (he still had 1 or 2 moorings free a month ago, for this season). And then bring it out and store it for winter somewhere else (like dunstaffnage or MRS? at Loch Creran round the corner - which can lift in/out). The pontoons at Linnhe marine aren't intended for long term storage - so its on a mooring - but with a free "water taxi" from the pontoon.

Linnhe marine is a wee bit further north (probably no longer driving time - as its quicker to go up to Ballachulish and then down to Appin) - but it might not suit as it will be a little further away from Mull if that is your plan. they have B&B and self catering on site (well a few hundred metres away) too - if you decided to base yourselves there.
Old 29 July 2008, 11:28   #12

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
West Coast

I am currently based in Ardnamurchan, just north of Tobermory, and there is no doubt that the area offers great opportunities for RIB adventures. Last week-end we went to Fingal's Cave on Staffa, the Isle of Coll and we climbed to the top of Eigg. There are also lots of sheltered waters for the days when the weather is not so good.

To see what I mean have a look at:
http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default....redfilterid=17
and
http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default....redfilterid=17

For a trailer, I would recommend an American trailer which you can buy from King's Marine in Chertsey for £550. They come over with the American boats but are not legal for road use here because they are not fitted with brakes. They last forever and we use one to take our boat in and out of the water all the time.
Old 29 July 2008, 11:49   #13

More thanks to all

Polwart. I think I should give them a call and maybe pop in when i go up next month some time. I am not keen on leaving her afloat, anti fouling, security, breaking free of the mooring, etc & etc.

Geoff Thanks for the tips. These trailers from the USA could be an option if I cant find something up there. I would have to tow it up there which my car could cope with if its unloaded and I suppose it would be legal as with no load it would not require breaks.

Lovely distraction but must get on with some work.

thanks again for all the positive posts

Jon
Old 29 July 2008, 12:50   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
I suppose it would be legal as with no load it would not require breaks.
If it's plated for over 750kg it needs brakes regardless of weight.

You need to check widths too as a lot of the American trailers are too wide to be legal behind a car in the UK.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2008, 13:26   #15

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If it's plated for over 750kg it needs brakes regardless of weight.

You need to check widths too as a lot of the American trailers are too wide to be legal behind a car in the UK.
...and change the hitch to Metric size!
Old 29 July 2008, 13:32   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
...and change the hitch to Metric size!
Good point.

Some do come with metric hitches though so worth checking.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2008, 17:14   #17

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
it may be cheaper to pick up a launching trolley or elderly trailer locally. Do you know of any around up there?

4. Ian W Thanks for the link for the accommodation. Re the launching at Dunstaffnage and a trailer see 1. above. I have however already emailed them to see what they can offer. I had though I would pre book a mooring preferably a pontoon at Tobermory but haven’t contacted them to see if this could be done. It looks a busy place on their site. What is the Mish Nish?

5. I found a site for The Old Forge near Mallaig so is it worth a visit?

Thanks again

Jon
- I may be able to help with a trailer. Send me a PM with your requirements.

- What is the Mish Nish?? The Mish Nish is not to be missed on a visit to Tob ... and try the mixed grill while you're there

- Yes the Old Forge at Knoydart is worth a trip. Phone ahead to see if they have a music evenin g happening
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2008, 19:04   #18

Cradle

Attached are pictures of how she arrived in Spain. Sadly nothing of her in the vehicle itself but you can see how small the cradle is. Gives you an idea of how she will arrive on in Scotland.

Note tubes partially deflated so she can fit into the road vehicle without chafing the tubes.

Also a picture of the trailers the yard runs it down to the crane on.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0488.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	36606   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0489.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	36607   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0497.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	36608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0021c.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	36609  
Old 16 August 2008, 16:34   #19

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Easdale and Easdale Island

Just south of Oban and cruising here is excellent.
Local B&B Garragh Mhhor Steve abd Trish Patterson 01852 300513 are geared up for RIBs
Local self catering accommodation see www.easdale.org

Easdale Island has probably one of the safest harbours on the west coast, it is also home to The Puffer Bar and restaurant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Easdale Island-500.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	37000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easdale mainland side-500.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	37001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easdale mainland launch over beach-500.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	37002  
Old 16 August 2008, 21:43   #20

Tony

Thanks for the contacts and the pics

We are up there on Tuesday and Wednesday to have a look round. I have arranged to see Dunstaffnage, Linnhe and Barcaldine marinas. Loch Creran from the pilot book looks a good place to be based especially if we want to do dinghy sailing as well. We have booked a ferry to pop over to Mull and are staying one night in Tobermory. So I'm not sure we will have enough time on this occasion to explore round the Easedale area, but the pics look good. Perhaps we will find the time to pop up again later in the year.

Mind you with weather like it has been lately perhaps we are daft even thinking about moving the boat from Spain in the first place. Friend have just come back having spent a fortnight out there and reported wall to wall sunshine. We had the same back in July. Hmmmm

Jon