Old 17 January 2009, 15:44   #1

Length: 3m +
SIB transporting practicalities

Hi a new member here wanting to pick brains about the practicalities of owning and using a SIB for fishing.

I live in the Glasgow area within access of the the large inland lochs, sea lochs and inshore west coast waters.

The reason I'm looking into SIB ownership is that I do not have the storage space for a full size boat. I did have a 16ft boat on loch lomond but that restricted me to fishing lomond and the associated mooring fee's.

The SIB I'm looking at is a quicksilver 3.80 HD my car is a small hatchback, could I transport this deflated on roofbars protected/wraped in heavy tarp.

I understand they are heavy deflated there will be two of us "youngish and fittish" could we lift it onto a car roof.

I'm planning to store the boat in my garden shed is this practical what is the best way to store a deflated SIB.

Is the above workable with a boat this size.

How does a 3.80 SIB compare from a "sea worthyness" point of veiw to a small open dinghy 14-16 ft. What are the limitations weather wise. I only plan to fish inshore how far out would a 3.80 SIB be safe.

This and any other info about using a SIB this size would be appreciated.

Thanks Brian.
Old 17 January 2009, 16:32   #2

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
I don't know loads about sibs but have two at the moment for fishing. When I got mine I had every intention of keeping it deflated and inflating it every time I wanted to go out. Since I have had it I find this very impracticle and have ended up carrying it on a trailer. So if you want to get one I would definately consider getting a flat bed trailer to go with it. You could just inflate it the night before you go and save a lot of fishing time instead of having to inflate it on the slipway or beach.
I am still glad I got my sib as I can park in the car park and wheel my sib down to the slipway and launch it on it's transom wheels single handed easily. Also I can fish for less than a tenner a days fuel (sometimes a lot less), which when I read what other people spend, I am very pleased with. It costs more than what you think it will to get set up, but when I look at how many pounds worth of shore fishing gear I have, and what I have caught with it, the boat seems worth it.
Old 17 January 2009, 17:59   #3

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
I'd be wary of storing a sib deflated in a shed rodents have a habit of chewing anything in sight I had a problem last year with mice chewing foam, plastic, wetsuits they make a real mess when i leave the sib in the shed i lock it inside a steel cabinet
Old 17 January 2009, 18:06   #4

You could probably lift the sib onto a roof rack between 2 of you BUT you maybe exceeding the car manufacturers limits and possibly invalidating your insurance
Old 17 January 2009, 18:29   #5

Hi thanks for the replies, I wish I could store a boat and trailer but really don't have the space. The only trailer I could use would one that could be dissembled for storage.

Is assembling a SIB more trouble than its worth, I would rather assemble on site that have no access to the water, I always fish with my brother so I will have help. How long does it take to assemble a SIB at 3.80.

Regards roof weight how much does a 3.80 SIB weigh the flooring will be stored in the back of the car and not on the roof. Only the SIB material body would be carried on the roof.

I don't know if we have mice about its something I've never seen, I had read a thread on here that I could use a box type storage locker.

I understand the boat won't last as many years if inflated and deflated all the time, I plan to use the SIB once a week weather permitting, how much will this affect the lifetime of a SIB.

Thanks for the replies can anyone shed some light on the limitations of 3.80 regarding using it as a fishing platform.

Thanks Brian.
Old 17 January 2009, 21:44   #6

Town: Hampshire
I have a zodiac fastroller 3.4. I fits ok in the back of a CMax with one of the back seats down. The 10hp 2 stroke fits in ok to.

To set everything up from scratch takes 20-30mins. If you are going to deflate each time I would definately get an air deck as they roll up with the rest of the boat. Using an electric pump to both inflatate and deflate makes like very easy as do transom wheels.

Also what engine will you be using? lifting and fitting any thing over a 15hp 2 stroke would be tough.
Old 17 January 2009, 22:38   #7

Hi flyguy, thanks for the reply I'm thinking of an 8-10 hp 2 stroke if I can get one for lightness. Have read a few posts that suggest alloy floor is better for fishing than airfloors.

The idea is soggy boat on roof bars and floorplates in hatchback with other gear. The roof is rated at 75 Kgs the boat is 80 kgs including floor, hopefully with the floor in the back of the car the SIB will be light enough for the roof.

Would a 3.40 be big enough for two people to fish from in sea lochs and within sight of shore at coastal marks.

Do these boats fit bag in their carry bags very easily or is it a case of getting it a packed as possible and wrapping in some sort of tarp.
Old 18 January 2009, 00:06   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
We used to be able to inflate and fully rig our 3.4m Zodiac with a 20hp 2 stroke in under 15 minutes once we'd got the hang of it. 20 mins to deflate and pack away.
The whole rig fitted into the boot of a Rover 418 at a push-but was easier with the boat on the back seat and boards,engine ,tank and gear in the boot.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2009, 06:29   #9

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
The Quicksilver 3.8 HD is a very capable boat and as the name suggests they are tough enough to take the handling both in a deflated condition and out on the water.

It is true to say that you can assemble and break down these boats in less than 20 minutes with practice, I did a demonstration a while back and raced a trailer stored safety boat to the water and won. The rechargeable (slow) inflators or the 12v (fast) inflators are great, the latter really takes all the hassle out of the job.

Perhaps rather than a boat trailer you could use a box trailer? Still deflate the boat but have everything in one place for transport and storage.

Your engine choice sounds perfect, a 10HP two stroke will be light enough to mount and carry but will plane the boat. I currently use a 6HP on the 5m version.

If you would like a nice price on one, please PM me.
Old 18 January 2009, 21:00   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
A HD-380 car topped would be too heavy, large and wide, if portability and easy assemble is a must, go for a air deck model, Quicksilver 340 with a 10/15 HP engine, preferebly 2 strokes, 10 kilos lighter than 4 strokes same models. You could place a thick carpet above air deck to protect floor for fishing activities. Get yoursef a nice double action manual pump, or a electric inflator that can regulate air pressure. Air decks are inflated to 10-12 psi for best sib/engine performance.

Will assemble faster than placing 4/5 fllorboards, that weights a total of about 15 kilos. A 340 can be better car topped than a 380, its 15-20 cm less wider, 40 cm less longer and 35 kilos lighter. A sib is much more stable than any traditional boat and rocks much less.

Happy Sibbing
Old 18 January 2009, 22:14   #11

Hi locozodiac the idea was to transport the SIB packed and deflated on the roof, this would mean if I dissassemble in pouring rain I'm not putting a soaking wet boat in the back of the car.

I understand the term "car topping" to be in an inflated state, I've never seen one of these boats in the flesh is the "packed" 3.80 boat without floorboards to big.

Sorry about all the questions as I said I'm a nube to these types of craft, from a fishing with two people point of view is there no advantage in a 3.80 over a 3.40.

Could anyone enlighten me to the advantages of a 3.80 over a 3.40, if its just a little more space then I would be better going for a 3.40 its less cash for a start.

How much more sea worthy is a 3.80 over a 3.40.

Thanks again for any input I don't want to end up with something unpractical and useless.

Brian.
Old 18 January 2009, 22:55   #12

Town: Hampshire
Whilst on the subject of transporting, has anyone got any links to flatbed trailers that are suitable for a SIB? I saw some pics on here a while ago of one with wooden slats but can't find the post.
Cheers
John
Old 19 January 2009, 06:32   #13

My quicksilver does not fit easily into it's bag so I don't use it. If you want a cheap trailer find a 10 -12 feet caravan that is being scrapped remove the body and contents and hey presto a flat bed trailer
Old 19 January 2009, 06:39   #14

Below is the spec for the 3.80HD weighs 102kg inc floor

SPECIFICATIONS & FLOOR PLAN

Fabric: Hypalon XD Red
Maximum Hp: 25 hp
Maximum No. of People: 6
Maximum Engine Weight: 75 kg
Weight (Excluding repair kit, pump & bag): 102.01kg
Bagged Dimensions: 143 x 85 x 55cm
Maximum Load: 760 kg
Air Chambers: 3 + keel
Length: 380 cm
Beam: 171 cm
Tube Diameter: 44cm
Inflatable Keel: Yes
Floor: Alum
Old 19 January 2009, 09:57   #15

Thanks for the info fred, I didn't realise they were that heavy.

I was looking at this its a really good price.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/TWR154

I was also thinking on this it is lighter.

http://www.excel-inflatables.co.uk/b...able-sd365.htm
Old 19 January 2009, 10:31   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
Below is the spec for the 3.80HD weighs 102kg inc floor
The Quicksilver is 96kg for the composite floor version, not sure if that helps much?
Old 19 January 2009, 10:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinfishin View Post
I was looking at this its a really good price.
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/TWR154
A good price indeed.
Old 19 January 2009, 13:52   #18

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Hello

Looked at the Excel 365 model, it's not a aluminum pannel flooring, it's a air mat floor, personally have tested may sizes air floor sibs, although correctly inflated to it's recommended working pressure the air floor still rocks like a thick marshmellow. Don't you think that air floor has same aluminum rigidity, having said this, a 340 will rock a bit less than a 365 because has shorter floor lenght. Have inflated an air deck to 12 PSI and still rocks, that's the counterpart between portability versus floor rigidity. Can't have both at the same time without affecting performance and boat behaviour.

A 340 is a nice lenght sib for 2, can be car topped very well as won't have more width than 1.50-155 cm. A 340 weights a total or around 45 kilos and sib + floor comes in just one big bag, a space saver. Don't transport deflated bagged sibs on car top, can be real dangerous to other drivers spacially on highways, use car trunk space.

To have an idea, have recently moved form a 360 sib to a much larger 380 sib, this sib is used mostly of the time by a 2 mate crew, now experimenting some bow rock issues because the sib needs to have all weight toward middle/bow to compensate, and we are definitely no light mates. Will ned to buy a tiller extension so to move my weight towars bow. So, the longer the sib, will ned more mates to compensate, unless you have at hand a junior sumo fighter siting on bow.. A 380 is to big for 2 specially if they are youngsters or medium aged mates, and the engine used, it's another story... It's your final decision if opting for a 340 or 365 model.

Happy Sibbing
Old 19 January 2009, 16:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
A good price indeed.
Got any Promo codes?
Old 19 January 2009, 17:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
Got any Promo codes?
With prices like 795 for one, who needs promo codes!

QS380HD

Duty free boat bits, tis the way forward.