Old 21 June 2009, 19:31   #1

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
The danger of auxhiliary outboard brackets - more hassle than they are worth?

Went out in the solent today for a spot of fishing, on my own as I sometimes do. As some of you know, I now have an auxiliary outboard on the back of my boat, for that extra feeling of safety etc, with a Tohatsu 9.8 on it. It's held up really well for the past few months since it's been mounted until today.
It's one of these by Plastimo (not from marine scene I might add):-
http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product...tboard-bracket

Well, en route to the needles today, I heard some strange metallic clinking sounds, but could not work out what from even though I stopped and had a look around. Then was hearing them again, and before I stopped, I heard a snapping sound, looked round to see the aux engine lying at a strange angle, only help up halfway in position by the strap to the seat back

Went to transom, and the top lever arm of the bracket had snapped at the transom mount! With the outboard locked onto the bracket, and the bottome arm looking like it was going to give way, I had to get the socket set out (I normally get criticised for taking so much stuff with me, but glad I had them today). I had to unbolt the mounting pad to get the outboard on deck, not the easiest thing on your own in a bouncing boat whilst trying to hold up a 10hp outboard.

Really lucky the outboard was also strapped to the rear seat back, or it would have been overboard, but also lucky the bracket snapped the way it did, the other way would have send the aux leg into the prop of the main engine (not sure I would have stayed in the boat if that had happened, or if it would have stayed the right way up for that matter).

So, the bracket is rated to 10 hp. Is it also rated to certain maximum speeds or sea states? I've been out in much worse than todays conditions.

Anyone else had this problem?
Or got a different type of bracket that's more up to the job?

Or are they just not suited to the world of RIBs?

Thanks for the feedback, a rather relieved Neil
Old 21 June 2009, 19:39   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
i m.h.o. i suppose with a lot of marine stuff its aimed at the sailing yachting market and not suitable for high speed bouncing about ,though still should be up to the job .
Old 21 June 2009, 19:45   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
I assume the Tohatsu is a 2 stroke ?
Old 21 June 2009, 19:47   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I have never seen an outboard bracket that struck me as man enough for a thrashing on a RIB.

On my last Rib I mounted the engine directly onto the transom and was far more comfortable that it could take a bashing.

Having said that on these smaller outboards even the tilt bracketry is not too strong and I kept a close eye on my Yamaha 5HP to make sure it did not weaken and break and I always had it strapped down to prevent it bumbing around too much on the bracket.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2009, 20:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I assume the Tohatsu is a 2 stroke ?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
i m.h.o. i suppose with a lot of marine stuff its aimed at the sailing yachting market and not suitable for high speed bouncing about ,though still should be up to the job .
I've had them on boats before, and not had a problem... but yes, should be up to the job unless they specify not for planing craft ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have never seen an outboard bracket that struck me as man enough for a thrashing on a RIB.

On my last Rib I mounted the engine directly onto the transom and was far more comfortable that it could take a bashing.

Having said that on these smaller outboards even the tilt bracketry is not too strong and I kept a close eye on my Yamaha 5HP to make sure it did not weaken and break and I always had it strapped down to prevent it bumbing around too much on the bracket.
Direct on the transom would be my preferred approach Chris, but
I have those transom boxes that prevent it. Back to plan A, and finding a way to keep the boxes and still transom mount, maybe a cutout in the starboard box with a new glassfibre insert so it looks neat, but allowing the aux to drop onto the transom.

It was strapped up, because the tilt mounts on the engine are indeed useless.
Old 21 June 2009, 20:57   #6

Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150hpdi/Merc 6hp
I had a similar problem with the same sort of bracket, was out one night a few weeks ago and decided to give the aux a run. I keep it mounted inboard, so the bracket is only used when actually needed. Anyway motoring along at 4.5 knots when i hear a bang look over my shoulder and see the blooming engine disapearing over the back! The moulded plastic mounting plate broke clean in half, luckly i always tie the motor to the a frame with rope when in use and also had the kill cord tied to the a frame so the motor died before it got semi submerged. Thank goodness it happened when it did and not in a main engine breakdown situation. I think these brackets are marginal with 6hp never mind 10hp.
Old 21 June 2009, 21:22   #7

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Neil as you can see I do most of my crusing in and about the west of Scotland and have always had my aux directly on to the transom. Most of my mates do likewise.
Hope this helps.
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2009, 21:32   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
I've got exactly the same bracket. It certainly clink/clunks when underway. Luckily I only have a Tohatsu 3.5hp on the bracket, but I use a ratchet strap to keep tension on it in the 'tilt' position, and use a block of wood for extra support. Tohatsu's tilt lever is next to bleed'n useless. Not sure what the answer is, possibly a fixed transom bracket. Something along this lines, but custom made to handle 10hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007294_w.jpg
Views:	3793
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	43480  
Old 21 June 2009, 21:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Hi Neil as you can see I do most of my crusing in and about the west of Scotland and have always had my aux directly on to the transom. Most of my mates do likewise.
Hope this helps.
J

Hi, I admit that would be best where practical, but that's not always the case. I just think things should be fit for purpose, and if not suitable for planing craft, they should say so!

Like I said, time to mock up some mods for the transom box, then it can hook direct onto transom
Old 21 June 2009, 21:40   #10

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I have U bolts fitted to the transom and have the aux strapped to them while on the exact same bracket, mine is going nowhere!
Old 22 June 2009, 07:43   #11

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Went out in the solent today for a spot of fishing, on my own as I sometimes do. As some of you know, I now have an auxiliary outboard on the back of my boat, for that extra feeling of safety etc, with a Tohatsu 9.8 on it. It's held up really well for the past few months since it's been mounted until today.
It's one of these by Plastimo (not from marine scene I might add):-
http://www.marinescene.co.uk/product...tboard-bracket

Well, en route to the needles today, I heard some strange metallic clinking sounds, but could not work out what from even though I stopped and had a look around. Then was hearing them again, and before I stopped, I heard a snapping sound, looked round to see the aux engine lying at a strange angle, only help up halfway in position by the strap to the seat back

Went to transom, and the top lever arm of the bracket had snapped at the transom mount! With the outboard locked onto the bracket, and the bottome arm looking like it was going to give way, I had to get the socket set out (I normally get criticised for taking so much stuff with me, but glad I had them today). I had to unbolt the mounting pad to get the outboard on deck, not the easiest thing on your own in a bouncing boat whilst trying to hold up a 10hp outboard.

Really lucky the outboard was also strapped to the rear seat back, or it would have been overboard, but also lucky the bracket snapped the way it did, the other way would have send the aux leg into the prop of the main engine (not sure I would have stayed in the boat if that had happened, or if it would have stayed the right way up for that matter).

So, the bracket is rated to 10 hp. Is it also rated to certain maximum speeds or sea states? I've been out in much worse than todays conditions.

Or are they just not suited to the world of RIBs?

Thanks for the feedback, a rather relieved Neil
I would not use one, A freind had to have a stainless mounting made behind his jockey because the bracket (like yours )twisted and the engine nearly disappered, this while it was not in use. I mount the engine inboard when not running it. When I do need it, it goes directly onto the transom, I had a stainless section cut and bent as a surface so apart from the lugging from the bow to the stern when I want to use it (can be dicey in rough stuff) it's a good way to do it....
Old 22 June 2009, 08:29   #12

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Iain you need to clear your mail box its full!!
Billy
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2009, 11:04   #13

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I bought one of those brackets a couple of years ago, but took it back for a refund after checking its components - crappy rivets and thin stainless pressing. I thought it would fall apart in no time, so decided to make one out of 3mm 316 Angle instead - haven't done so yet though......
Old 22 June 2009, 13:40   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
so decided to make one out of 3mm 316 Angle instead - haven't done so yet though......
I have for my 15hp and it's one of the few bits not to fall off yet
Old 22 June 2009, 17:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
I have for my 15hp and it's one of the few bits not to fall off yet
I was waiting for you to reply Jim, cos I recalled you carry a 15 on a bracket, but also thought you probably made it... let's have some pics then!
Old 22 June 2009, 22:57   #16

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
I've been thinking about fitting an aux for a while now and looking for a suitable bracket (boxes on inside of transom would prevent bolting directly to the transom).

I saved this picture from somewhere, earlier in the year, thinking that's just the type of bracket I would need... Robust and simple. Now I can't remember for the life of me where the picture came from

Does anyone recognise this and could point me in the right direction?!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aux motor mount.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	43487  
Old 23 June 2009, 01:43   #17

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
That looks perfect.

http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=71091

these are better than your average but not cheap and still don't look as good.
Old 24 June 2009, 14:40   #18
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
I was waiting for you to reply Jim, cos I recalled you carry a 15 on a bracket, but also thought you probably made it... let's have some pics then!
Yes made one in mild steel to try and then stainless steel painted white but it looks like it could use a blast and recoat
Old 24 June 2009, 14:42   #19
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Yes made one in mild steel to try and then stainless steel painted white but it looks like it could use a blast and recoat
With pics this time it's had some hammer too, but been fine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aux 1.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	43512   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux 2.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	43513   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux 3.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	43514  
Old 24 June 2009, 15:20   #20

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
The moulded plastic mounting plate broke clean in half,
A late friend of mine had a series of these (at least 3, maybe more) on his 17' Boston Whaler. He had similar problems to yours on every one of them. He was going to have an aluminum pad fabricated for the thing, but passed away before he got to it.

jky