Old 12 July 2009, 21:54   #1

Length: no boat
Starting a RIB ride business

Hi

My partner and I have been searching for a business idea for a long time - something we could do for a living and enjoy at the same time. A few years ago and several times since we have been on some RIB rides and have decided this is what we want to do. I am sure we sound as mad as a box of frogs - but thats life!

However, we have been searching for information as to what qualifications and experience we would need in order to do this.

Can anyone give us a point in the right direction? And if it helps, we have exaclty zero hours experience between the two of us.

Thanks

John
Old 12 July 2009, 22:07   #2

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
John,

pm sent
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2009, 22:07   #3

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Hi

You should start by completing a Powerboat Level 2 & also taking a trip to visit John Price @ Quinquari Marine in St Davids.

The country is getting very busy with people offering RIB rides, you can generally find a passenger rib in most ports now.

Jono
Old 12 July 2009, 22:09   #4

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Hi

You should start by completing a Powerboat Level 2 & also taking a trip to visit John Price @ Quinquari Marine in St Davids.

The country is getting very busy with people offering RIB rides, you can generally find a passenger rib in most ports now.

Jono
Apart from "up Norf" lol.
Old 12 July 2009, 22:24   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Yes John at Quinquari would be a great person to talk to.

The biggest problem in this country is the bloody weather - the last 2 summers killed off a few operators and this summer doesn't look much better.

Of course it depends where you are - some places are wetter than others. Not only that but some places have a stupid tidal range as well which really doesn't help either!!!

I would say you need to get a few different angles to your business - so that when passenger numbers are down you can still earn some dosh.
Old 13 July 2009, 07:57   #6

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I would say you need to get a few different angles to your business - so that when passenger numbers are down you can still earn some dosh.
Yeh, smuggling often has quite good returns......
Old 13 July 2009, 21:38   #7

Thanks for all of your responses (even the smuggling one which hadn't yet crossed my mind!). We will start asking questions and see where it leads us.

John
Old 14 July 2009, 14:12   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I never thought I'd say this

Best advice on this thread is from Dirk.

I do this for a living and it has taken me more than 4 years of strugle to start earning more than I did when I had a proper job.The last three years have been rather goodfortunately and I'm starting to do quite well at the moment. but then I haven't been at home for more than 20 days this year. I guess if you've met Rogueta that might be seen as a bonus!

You be very careful about what salesman/consultant you talk to and how much money you commit to them.

Codprawn is right about the weather and alternative uses!

I'd look very carefully at the charter business that are out there and get a dunn and bradstreet on the ones which you think are sexy. See what kind of money is really in the game.

A lot of people are runing round hustling some other persons boat and any fool can be a hero on their own website so there is a lot odf smoke and mirrors in this game.

Genuine success stories from what I know of the commercial world would be Solent Rib Charters, Sabre powerboats and the Zapcat mob and Safety Boat services and there is a geezer in Loch Ness who is doing well and I think Seafriskye seems to have a good living. John Brooks is also doing well with his charter business so it might be worth talking to him.

I found the commercial world far more stable to make a living in than running a charter business in as they pay well and the work is long term (until you get run off)

The biggest problem of running a charter business is equipment failure.

Stay lucky

Apologies to any people who I have ommited to applaud.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2009, 19:56   #9
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Very good points from Rogue.

I'm one of the operators who isn't any more - you need to look at where you are planning to operate, and think about your customer base very carefully.

If you are planning to run out of a 'summer only' harbour - then you might struggle - as lots of operators have over the last 2 or 3 years. 6 or 8 weeks of really good revenue doesn't cover the rest of the year, and access and the weather can really knock a hole in your business plan.

Having said that - if you do your homework, and find a good place to operate from, then it might be exactly what you are after. Just look at St David's in Pembroke - multiple operators with multiple boats - but they have a lot to see in their 'patch'!! Further north, the only boat left (I think) on the West Coast of Wales is Tony Barber's boat - www.baytoremember.co.uk - Ian's stopped at Abersoch, we've stopped at Barmouth, and Dyfi Discovery isn't in the water yet this year - and I believe they are selling it (10m Quinquari...).

However - I still have the boat - and I have much more fun on my own than with 9 nervous passengers......
Old 03 August 2009, 23:57   #10

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
I looked at doing "excursions in Morecambe Bay with my 11m, but the Lancaster City council wanted 25% of gross turnover, in order to operate off there slipway / Jetty , not sure what other councils are charging but look into this as well before you invest.
Old 04 August 2009, 13:02   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell View Post
I looked at doing "excursions in Morecambe Bay with my 11m, but the Lancaster City council wanted 25% of gross turnover, in order to operate off there slipway / Jetty , not sure what other councils are charging but look into this as well before you invest.
That is a disgrace - I would have thought they would try to encourage things that help tourism!!!

Is it the same in other areas?
Old 04 August 2009, 17:55   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
That is a disgrace - I would have thought they would try to encourage things that help tourism!!!

Is it the same in other areas?
You're not wrong....
25%!!!!! do they have guns and ride horses?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2009, 22:42   #13

Actually I would be intrested to find out what other councils are charging if anything, might give me a case for going back to them at a later date. or not as the case may be !
Old 05 August 2009, 11:53   #14
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Gwynedd Council charged me mooring fees and harbour dues at commercial rates - which was a little cheaper (5%?) than a private vessel - and that was it.

Taking 25% of gross income from a RIB ride business would effectively kill it before it got started!! I would also suspect that the legality of that would be dubious. Which jetty were you going to run from?

D...
Old 05 August 2009, 12:33   #15

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Do the council or any members have a vested interest? Or are they just trying to stop you?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2009, 12:54   #16
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell View Post
Actually I would be intrested to find out what other councils are charging if anything, might give me a case for going back to them at a later date. or not as the case may be !
It's a shame as, as far as I know there would be no local competition for you.
Old 06 August 2009, 12:46   #17

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
Have you read this ? http://www.ribevents.com/site/boatte...B_business.pdf
Old 06 August 2009, 13:23   #18

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
I have been thinking of starting a RIB related business in France but don't really have the courage to do it on my own. There are plenty of other possibilities of creating income than just taking tourists out on rides. I was thinking along the lines of :
- all inclusive holidays with upto 5 day trips with or without skipper, different island each night,
- day trips
- rib rides
- at sea breakdown repair
- guided fishing trips
- freediving courses
- dive trips to small parties
- water taxi to yacths

All this remains fair weather oriented however and even if we have a bit more of it than you I was wondering what activities could be done during the winter months ?
Old 21 August 2009, 13:58   #19

Town: Brighton
Starting a rib business

Have you read this ? http://www.ribevents.com/site/boatte...B_business.pdf

What an excellant pdf this was. Only thing is I can only find this one pdf there would appear to be 2 other articles on this topic. Can anyone point me to the other two articles.
Old 22 August 2009, 07:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
Gwynedd Council charged me mooring fees and harbour dues at commercial rates - which was a little cheaper (5%?) than a private vessel - and that was it.

Taking 25% of gross income from a RIB ride business would effectively kill it before it got started!! I would also suspect that the legality of that would be dubious. Which jetty were you going to run from?

D...
We were going from the what was the old Green st slip , which has a jetty with hand rails. I have been on to the tourism dept and they have been a great help, so will have to see what if anything comes of it.