Old 06 August 2009, 17:53   #1

Town: Barrie
Make: Mercury Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15
Saturn Inflatables

I am currently thinking about purchasing a saturn Inflatable and I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience good or bad with these boats?
Old 06 August 2009, 22:54   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Haven't seen any myself, but apparently they are Korean made and seem to be somewhere in the same quality ball park as the PVC boats from quicksilver, sea eagle, zebec & zodiac. Googling 'saturn inflatable boats" brought up this discussion;

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=1947
Old 06 August 2009, 23:58   #3

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
As the owner of an older zodiac who has reglued the floor and transom seams I would like to point out one difference between these vessels. The zodiac has heat bonded tube seams. They aren't just hand glued. None of my tube seams has failed on my 99' MK2 Futura. All PVC hand glued boats are notorious for having a limited lifespan on their glued seams. I can handle a floor or replacing the transom, but tube failure is not acceptable. An inexpensive boat may be worth the investment with a shorter lifespan, but I don't want to have a serious problem in a remote location.
Old 07 August 2009, 01:03   #4

Town: Havre de Grace, MD
Boat name: SD430
Make: Saturn
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke Merc
Send a message via ICQ to 1ThOFA87
I have one. Purchased it 4 years ago. 14 ft boat, nice big (20 in.) tubes. I love it! Most of the problems I've read about with PVC involve UV damage but I keep mine inflated on a trailer in my garage all year long. After 4 years it still looks as good as new. I didn't know about the heat welding vs hand gluing issue but so far I haven't had problems and I hope not to. The boatstogo distributor created these trick seating frames that allow you to install an economy seat base and folding seat. It's really comfortable! I purchased two. Better than sitting on the tube or a cooler any day. I grabbed a pair of those lifters and it really flies with my 25 hp 2 stroke! If it lasts a good 10 years and fails I'd buy another at this price. I think I may have paid $1250 for it. Those Zodiacs cost 3 times that! I wish I could afford that but I can't.
If you could keep it indoors or covered I say DEFINITELY go for it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	175.jpg
Views:	3385
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	44612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_098.jpg
Views:	2640
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	44613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_099.jpg
Views:	2125
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	44614  
Old 07 August 2009, 01:42   #5

Town: GTA
Make: QS 330 airdeck
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2-strke
These are good boats, same level as Quicksilver or Aquamarine. I'd go for the price, the one that's cheaper of the size you need.
Old 07 August 2009, 13:18   #6

Town: Barrie
Make: Mercury Quicksilver
Engine: 15
Thanks For the input guys. Has anyone had any expierence pulling a tube or a skier with these boats?
Old 07 August 2009, 13:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
As the owner of an older zodiac who has reglued the floor and transom seams I would like to point out one difference between these vessels. The zodiac has heat bonded tube seams. They aren't just hand glued. None of my tube seams has failed on my 99' MK2 Futura. All PVC hand glued boats are notorious for having a limited lifespan on their glued seams. I can handle a floor or replacing the transom, but tube failure is not acceptable. An inexpensive boat may be worth the investment with a shorter lifespan, but I don't want to have a serious problem in a remote location.

As far as I know, all of the Asian based mass producers of PVC boats (Sea Eagle and Zebec are made by the same Korean plant, Quicksilver & Saturn probably are as well) use heat bonded tube seams. It is a much less labour intensive way to manufacture the boat, so once the cost of the machine has been payed for it is much cheaper to produce a boat this way. The benefit is that the quality of the seam welds are very consistent and less prone to defects. The down side is that welded seams are irreparable, and welded PVC seams tend to be the first part of the fabric to fail since they are stiffer than the rest of the fabric and tend to be a stress concentrator. The amount of UV exposure and the frequency of folding and unfolding of the boat & temperature fluctuations all will affect the life expectancy of those seams. If a PVC boat's seams have been glued properly, the seams should have a life expectancy that is at least as long as welded seams.
Old 07 August 2009, 15:20   #8

Well, It may certainly be true that the seams are thermobonded, but Saturns website extolls the fact that all of their seams are hand glued. Interesting that you find that welded seams are less reliable. I have worked on a number of inflatables and my experience is that the hand glued seams fail much more predictably than the thermobonded ones. It is so apparent particulalry with zodiac speed tubes. The front section of the tube casing is hand glued, the rest is thermobonded. I see these regularly where the front section is detached and the thermo bonded sections are not. I have pulled failing seams and they open right up to the point where the thermo bond starts. Not like I am some expert, but I do see a lot of older inflatables. I would not expect any inflatable to absolutley have no issues for any longer than the warranty period. Zodiac runs 5 years. It isn't surprising that many of the boats have issues at the 7 year mark. Can you get ten years without problems from a Saturn? Probably has more to do with how you store it. UV by itself doesn't do anything to glued seams, they aren't exposed. It's the heat that kills the bond. Stored in a cool place all inflatables will extend their lifespan. I consider inflatables to be a consumable item with a limited lifespan and rapidly diminishing resale value. Mine will end up in the dump eventually. It is all a matter of realistic expectations. Hope everyone is having fun on the water whatever they are driving!
Old 07 August 2009, 16:08   #9

... fun for sure!!! Yep, my thought was that if I keep it stored inflated I could avoid the wear and tear of folding and unfolding and obviously keeping it out of the sun would extend its life. We'll see. Either way, its incredible fun!
Old 07 August 2009, 17:01   #10

I am big fan of storing inflatables partially inflated if at all possible, but would like to add one warning. Watch out for rodents! I have seen a number of chewed inflatables. It doesn't seem to be a rare occurence.
Old 07 August 2009, 17:08   #11

Quote:
I am big fan of storing inflatables partially inflated if at all possible, but would like to add one warning. Watch out for rodents! I have seen a number of chewed inflatables. It doesn't seem to be a rare occurence.
I know that's my biggest fear! I'd heard that keeping it fully inflated or at least firm may deter them from chewing.
Old 08 August 2009, 08:20   #12

Quote:
Well, It may certainly be true that the seams are thermobonded, but Saturns website extolls the fact that all of their seams are hand glued. Interesting that you find that welded seams are less reliable. I have worked on a number of inflatables and my experience is that the hand glued seams fail much more predictably than the thermobonded ones. It is so apparent particulalry with zodiac speed tubes. The front section of the tube casing is hand glued, the rest is thermobonded. I see these regularly where the front section is detached and the thermo bonded sections are not. I have pulled failing seams and they open right up to the point where the thermo bond starts. Not like I am some expert, but I do see a lot of older inflatables. I would not expect any inflatable to absolutley have no issues for any longer than the warranty period. Zodiac runs 5 years. It isn't surprising that many of the boats have issues at the 7 year mark. Can you get ten years without problems from a Saturn? Probably has more to do with how you store it. UV by itself doesn't do anything to glued seams, they aren't exposed. It's the heat that kills the bond. Stored in a cool place all inflatables will extend their lifespan. I consider inflatables to be a consumable item with a limited lifespan and rapidly diminishing resale value. Mine will end up in the dump eventually. It is all a matter of realistic expectations. Hope everyone is having fun on the water whatever they are driving!
The concern with thermobonding is not that the seams will become unbonded, they won't. The concern is cracks in the fabric. The PVC fabric on inflatable boats work harden over time especially with UV exposure. The effect ot this work hardening will happen more quickly at the thermobonded areas than at the rest of the fabric. Life expectancies of 5 - 10 years seems to be the norm for PVC boats. A high quality hypalon SIB that is properly looked after should have life expectancy of at least 30 years of hard use. Does it make sense to pay double for a hypalon boat that has a life expectancy that is 4-5 times longer than that of a PVC boat?
Old 08 August 2009, 12:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
The concern with thermobonding is not that the seams will become unbonded, they won't. The concern is cracks in the fabric. The PVC fabric on inflatable boats work harden over time especially with UV exposure. The effect ot this work hardening will happen more quickly at the thermobonded areas than at the rest of the fabric. Life expectancies of 5 - 10 years seems to be the norm for PVC boats. A high quality hypalon SIB that is properly looked after should have life expectancy of at least 30 years of hard use. Does it make sense to pay double for a hypalon boat that has a life expectancy that is 4-5 times longer than that of a PVC boat?
ABSOLUTELY!!! If you can.
Old 08 August 2009, 15:46   #14

I'll second that vote for hypalon. The dinghy for our 32 Westsail was hypalon and it stood up to unrelenting exposure very well. Availability of a used vessel similar to mine in hypalon was my issue. I certainly do keep the vessel out of direct sun when possible and I hit it with UV protectant regularly. I will still assert, having worked on a number of inflatables, that the glued seams will fail long before the fabric if you don't just sit it out in the sun, clean it with solvents or abrade the surface. I'm just not seeing this cracking, hardening, failing thermobond seam issue on older zodiacs at all. It's not like I'm some shill for zodiac, I certainly wouldn't use a PVC boat as a larger boats tender or dinghy that got stored outside. However, if I was buying an older used PVC boat I would look for thermobonded tube seams. I'll fix almost anything, but when a tube seam fails the boat is trash as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08 August 2009, 16:51   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ThOFA87 View Post
I have one. Purchased it 4 years ago. 14 ft boat, nice big (20 in.) tubes. I love it! Most of the problems I've read about with PVC involve UV damage but I keep mine inflated on a trailer in my garage all year long. After 4 years it still looks as good as new. I didn't know about the heat welding vs hand gluing issue but so far I haven't had problems and I hope not to. The boatstogo distributor created these trick seating frames that allow you to install an economy seat base and folding seat. It's really comfortable! I purchased two. Better than sitting on the tube or a cooler any day. I grabbed a pair of those lifters and it really flies with my 25 hp 2 stroke! If it lasts a good 10 years and fails I'd buy another at this price. I think I may have paid $1250 for it. Those Zodiacs cost 3 times that! I wish I could afford that but I can't.
If you could keep it indoors or covered I say DEFINITELY go for it!
Can I for one say I think this looks like a great fun set up - very practicle . Just right for getting out on the water without too much grief or cost .

Pete
Old 21 March 2014, 15:16   #16

Town: Tallahasse
Boat name: Ebony
Make: Sea Eagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Haven't seen any myself, but apparently they are Korean made and seem to be somewhere in the same quality ball park as the PVC boats from quicksilver, sea eagle, zebec & zodiac. Googling 'saturn inflatable boats" brought up this discussion;

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum
Howdy Gentleman,

Thanks for this. I was trying to do some research on Saturn's line of inflatable boats. Im living in this retirement community and they wont let me keep a trailer in the driveway. Best I could hope was this inflatable kayak to keep me in the water once the ice melts.

I read through these links - still trying to get some more feedback on the vessels. Anyone still using these?

Many thanks! Happy Boating
Old 24 March 2014, 15:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin View Post
Howdy Gentleman,

Thanks for this. I was trying to do some research on Saturn's line of inflatable boats. Im living in this retirement community and they wont let me keep a trailer in the driveway. Best I could hope was this inflatable kayak to keep me in the water once the ice melts.

I read through these links - still trying to get some more feedback on the vessels. Anyone still using these?

Many thanks! Happy Boating
I have a few Kayaks bearing the SATURN Brand and all have done me pretty solid over the years. I had a seam go on one pretty earlier in but I guess they are handmade so that happens. The guys over there sent me out a replacement. Aside from the so/so oars they come with the boats themselves are really well built in my opinon. I'm by no means a pro but I've been in a number of Kayaks and I will say that I have yet to see a difference anywhere but in my wallet!

Here's my wife in my Pro Ocean Kayak. Its a 14 footer and I think I paid about $600? Works for me because it deflates and I just roll it up and toss it in the back. Hope you find one for yourself mate!

Old 21 August 2022, 21:35   #18

Town: Ny
Length: 5m +
Engine: 3hp
Saturn

I’ve had a Saturn Kaboat for a couple years. Got it used. Used it three times. Loved it. Seems well made. But, this year first time out, today. two seams ruptured. One on inflatable floor and one on side tube. I was shocked. I’ve stored it in my 1st floor of my raised summer home. Which is inside protected but subject to NY winters and summer temps. It’s Never stored outside or in sun. I used only the hand pump it came with to inflate it. I’m still in shock that the seams ruptured right after inflated right in front of me.
I called Saturn and am waiting for a call back.
SMH.
I’ll keep you updated on what I end up finding out and doing.