Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
...or is it that the improvement in comms and nav gear and the internet has really made the world a smaller place ?
I think unless he has transported himself through a wire or over the airwaves, this technology has little bearing, other than to provide better communications, possibly some "companionship" to stave off boredom, and a larger margin of safety. At the end of the day, he managed to sail that little plastic boat around the world by himself. It's an amazing feat for a young man to undertake successfully.

I can only imagine how his parents have worried for the past year. If my kid comes home from a date 30 minutes late I'm a mess!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2009, 07:07   #22

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
[QUOTE=Zubenelgenubi;313469] Ok, so this is obviously a subject on which people will have differing opinions BUT a rule is a rule & this rule applies to "all vessels upon the high seas & in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels".

Your comments belong elsewhere, please.
Old 03 September 2009, 22:55   #23

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Heres proof of the technology he had aboard. With wiring like this though its a miracle any of it worked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	45484  
Old 04 November 2009, 13:16   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
If your interested

Channel 4 are doing a program on Thursday evening covering Mike's round the world event which could see some great sailing images as a load of us saw him out and back into Portsmouth
Old 04 November 2009, 13:25   #25
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Channel 4 are doing a program on Thursday evening covering Mike's round the world event which could see some great sailing images as a load of us saw him out and back into Portsmouth
I'll keep my eye open for that. Thanks.
Old 04 November 2009, 16:39   #26

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Thanks Ian - one for the Tivo - looking forward to seeing it

J

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2009, 17:19   #27

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet View Post
one for the Tivo
Awesome ! you still have one of them ?
Old 04 November 2009, 17:25   #28

Yes - still find it a heck of a lot more useful the the darn HD skybox - which is forever mucking up seasonal recordings if they occur on a different day, or it misses the first 10 minutes or last 10 minutes and you also can't skip the ad breaks you have to manually fast forward - the cheek!!!

J

Old 04 November 2009, 18:29   #29

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet View Post
Yes - still find it a heck of a lot more useful the the darn HD skybox - which is forever mucking up seasonal recordings if they occur on a different day, or it misses the first 10 minutes or last 10 minutes and you also can't skip the ad breaks you have to manually fast forward - the cheek!!!

J
Cool .... very clever piece of gear Its a shame sky bought them out in UK and killed em off. I bought the lifetime subscription for mine, and flogged the lot on fleabay for just about as much as I paid for it .. before sky plus came along.. whata mistakea to makea 'EER.. I'd better get off posting this before the admin nazis .. .. turn up and give me a dooing over for thread hijacking
Old 04 November 2009, 19:16   #30

Town: Ireland
Length: 10m +
fatigue & single handed yachtsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm not saying it is right to sail round the world without keeping a "proper" lookout, but equally I think it would be sad if compliance with this rule prevented the adventure / personal challenge that is singlehanded endurance sailing.

I believe they mitigate this risk by only sleeping for 20 minutes at a time; which together with radar ensures that it is very unlikely that there is anyone who presents a collision risk whilst they are not actually maintaining a lookout.

I'm not aware of any singlehanded round the world skipper colliding with anyone as a result of not keeping a proper lookout. As I understand it they will tend to maintain a constant lookout in any busy areas, which is possibly better than some ships!

Well Polwart, recently in another post I recall that for bedtime reading you recommended some 86 pages of MAIB reports re fatigue, as did alystra. You have to wonder how the risk of fatigue is mitigated by a 20 minute sleep.
Well done to the lad for his achievement as I have said previously.
Before anyone says that this not the place for this, it is exactly the place for this.
Old 04 November 2009, 19:17   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Cool .... very clever piece of gear Its a shame sky bought them out in UK and killed em off. I bought the lifetime subscription for mine, and flogged the lot on fleabay for just about as much as I paid for it .. before sky plus came along.. whata mistakea to makea 'EER.. I'd better get off posting this before the admin nazis .. .. turn up and give me a dooing over for thread hijacking
- but they are a cracking bit of kit and yes loads better than Sky's own efforts

J

Old 05 November 2009, 19:01   #32
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
its on tonight 9pm
http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsSe...s_fullpage.jsp
Old 06 November 2009, 12:09   #33

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Anyone else watch this ? . Firstly they seemed to edit Tim M out for some reason ( maybe the idea of being towed in is not ideal ! ) .

Whilst a great acheivement it did seem that the programme almost wanted to higlight or make it seem that the whole effort was rather hit & miss ?

Ie - you need £1m to do - then we are doing it on 200k . Drifting about to 'hit Cuba' , no engine, repeated auto helm problems , rudder probs - all gave the impression from the programme that it was just luck that he got round alive .

It was hard to tell if this was the programme editing or it really was like this . Either way still a great acheivement at 16.
Old 06 November 2009, 12:30   #34
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Anyone else watch this ? . Firstly they seemed to edit Tim M out for some reason ( maybe the idea of being towed in is not ideal ! ) .

Whilst a great acheivement it did seem that the programme almost wanted to higlight or make it seem that the whole effort was rather hit & miss ?

Ie - you need £1m to do - then we are doing it on 200k . Drifting about to 'hit Cuba' , no engine, repeated auto helm problems , rudder probs - all gave the impression from the programme that it was just luck that he got round alive .

It was hard to tell if this was the programme editing or it really was like this . Either way still a great acheivement at 16.
Was good to watch, I think they highlighted things to make more drama and the whole girlfriend thing just didn't seem to fit in.

Anyway, a great achievement for such a young lad. How he handled it all I will never know. Good on him
Old 06 November 2009, 13:58   #35
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post

No they did that edit cause Tim needed a hair cut! Well done Mike it was great to see and greet you this year returning into The Solent and home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0519a.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	47342  
Old 06 November 2009, 15:15   #36

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I'm off for a haircut in about three mins as it goes!

I saw me (briefly!)

Watching that it all seemed very hit and miss. I get the impression it was more the fathers dream than any thing else. Towing them in they didn't seem particularly on the ball - no lines ready for me to tow with, no sense of urgency when it came to helping me tie the yacht up alongside the rib to turn it around and get it into Gunwharf (bearing in mind theres ferries and things coming in and out!)

Oh well still a fantastic achievement. Inspired me to have a go!
Old 06 November 2009, 15:30   #37
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I watched it - and I am sure it was edited to make it all seem more dramatic / better telly. But at least it wasn't over done in a "seaside rescue" type way. At no point did I actually think his life was in immediate danger... but there was uncertainty that he would complete it.

Not knocking his achievement (and I would have no desire to replicate it) - but they did seem a bit disorganised/unprepared. I think they put themselves under real pressure to be the "youngest" round the world - breaking the record took precedence (or seemed to from the TV) over actually completing the trip in a well organised/planned way that was least likely to get them in difficulty. I wonder if they had spent another month prepping the boat etc - if they might still have arrived back on the same date as they may have avoided trying to do repairs in odd places.

I actually thought the "girlfriend's" story was appropriate. It emphasised that what normal 16/17 yr old lads are doing is trying to get laid (usually unsucessfully!). Perhaps it distracted from the "maritime" aspect of the programme - but to me it made it a bit more real, and maybe even made him seem a bit more like a "normal" teenager.
Old 06 November 2009, 19:46   #38
JSP

Quote:

I actually thought the "girlfriend's" story was appropriate. It emphasised that what normal 16/17 yr old lads are doing is trying to get laid (usually unsucessfully!). Perhaps it distracted from the "maritime" aspect of the programme - but to me it made it a bit more real, and maybe even made him seem a bit more like a "normal" teenager.
That is a very good point.
Old 08 November 2009, 13:53   #39

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
..... they did seem a bit disorganised/unprepared.
I disagree - he had loads of fenders on board. A lot more than I would have expected of someone attempting a non-stop record.
Old 08 November 2009, 20:26   #40

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I disagree - he had loads of fenders on board. A lot more than I would have expected of someone attempting a non-stop record.
That was for when he kept stopping to get laid....