Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 August 2009, 14:44   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Return of Round The World Young yachtsman

I have been in contact with the guys behind Mike Perham and his return to The Solent and Portsmouth Gunwharf. http://www.totallymoney.com/sailmike/

He will officially cross a line at Falmouth and sail on to his home port for I hope a great welcome back.

Presently the 29th August looks like a possible date for 1100hrs into the harbour but the day may change either way due to 2500 miles to go and the weather, winds and tides.
I hope many here will want to come out and salute this young mans achievements. I will post dates and updates as I get them.
Old 22 August 2009, 06:38   #2
RIBnet supporter

Latest Updates

Mike at present is looking to arrive at Gunwharf Quay Portsmouth on SATURDAY 29TH AUGUST.

I guess this will change with any weather issues for or against him. Initial plans were an 1100 arrival but not sure if up the Solent or round the Island and in via Bembridge.
Old 24 August 2009, 17:24   #3
RIBnet supporter

Latest shows his boat south West of Ireland so still some way to run and some strong winds forecast. Is presently in 35 knots of wind and forty foot swell on edge of Hurrican Bill which hits the South UK Wednesday
Old 26 August 2009, 17:09   #4
RIBnet supporter

updates

17 year-old British sailor Mike Perham is now within a day of becoming the youngest person to sail single-handed around the world. He now expects his 50ft yacht Totallymoney.com to reach the Lizard line marking the start and finish point of his 30,000 mile record-setting odyssey between 08:30 and 09:30 local Thursday morning - two months inside the current record.

He still plans to arrive at Gunwharf Quay at Portsmouth for 1100 on Saturday 29th August. Anyone going out would be good to show a real greeting to him. Not sure if he will go up The Solent as the powerboat racing is on, and it may depend on Tides.
Old 26 August 2009, 22:16   #5

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
17 year-old British sailor Mike Perham is now within a day of becoming the youngest person to sail single-handed around the world. He now expects his 50ft yacht Totallymoney.com to reach the Lizard line marking the start and finish point of his 30,000 mile record-setting odyssey between 08:30 and 09:30 local Thursday morning - two months inside the current record.

He still plans to arrive at Gunwharf Quay at Portsmouth for 1100 on Saturday 29th August. Anyone going out would be good to show a real greeting to him. Not sure if he will go up The Solent as the powerboat racing is on, and it may depend on Tides.
Could be interesting as the CTC race starts at 10:00
Old 28 August 2009, 07:34   #6
RIBnet supporter

Final Updates for everyone

This is the last mail I have received and he is panning to come up The Solent as follows:-
We expect Mike off the Needles at 06:30
Lymington 07:00
Cowes 09:00
Southsea 10:30
Gunwharf Quay 11:00
Old 28 August 2009, 08:32   #7

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
This is the last mail I have received and he is panning to come up The Solent as follows:-
We expect Mike off the Needles at 06:30
Lymington 07:00
Cowes 09:00
Southsea 10:30
Gunwharf Quay 11:00
Today ? or 29/8..........Its bloody windy out today !
Old 28 August 2009, 08:59   #8
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Today ? or 29/8..........Its bloody windy out today !
Sorry my fault Saturday 29th
Old 28 August 2009, 21:41   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Some Kid .. very impressive He'll go on to greater things
Old 29 August 2009, 14:47   #10

Town: Ireland
An excellent achievement & well done to him.

However, Rule 5 of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (1972)
clearly states that:
"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision"

How does a single handed yachtsman comply with this regulation & what are the consequences (for the other vessel) if he is involved in a collision with another vessel?
Old 29 August 2009, 16:24   #11
RIBnet supporter

Images from his return into Portsmouth

Met up in The Solent and took these early before the scrum at Gunwharf. Appreciate not RIBS but he deserves all the praise. I know loads joined in at Portsmouth and Tim M ended up with the task of towing him into the gunwharf harbour with his 6.5!!!! Hopefully the images will be added later
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0518a.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	45291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0519a.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	45292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0522a.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	45293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0523a.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	45294  
Old 29 August 2009, 16:29   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Met up in The Solent and took these early before the scrum at Gunwharf. Appreciate not RIBS but he deserves all the praise
Absolutely. Anyone who goes round the world on their own deserves serious respect, at that age its all the more impressive, especially since most 17 yr olds don't seem to be able to get to school without mummy or daddy giving them a lift!

Would you let "your" 13 yr old do it though?
Old 29 August 2009, 16:37   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
An excellent achievement & well done to him.

However, Rule 5 of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (1972)
clearly states that:
"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision"

How does a single handed yachtsman comply with this regulation & what are the consequences (for the other vessel) if he is involved in a collision with another vessel?
I'm not saying it is right to sail round the world without keeping a "proper" lookout, but equally I think it would be sad if compliance with this rule prevented the adventure / personal challenge that is singlehanded endurance sailing.

I believe they mitigate this risk by only sleeping for 20 minutes at a time; which together with radar ensures that it is very unlikely that there is anyone who presents a collision risk whilst they are not actually maintaining a lookout.

I'm not aware of any singlehanded round the world skipper colliding with anyone as a result of not keeping a proper lookout. As I understand it they will tend to maintain a constant lookout in any busy areas, which is possibly better than some ships!
Old 29 August 2009, 17:09   #14

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
As Ian said I had the task of towing him in. We towed the boat all the way from Ryde in the end as he was running late. Quite an experaince coming into Portsmouth with a flotilla of about 30 boats including 2 police boats, HMS something and the worlds press. QHM held the IoW ferries to let us though! There were literally thousands of people lining the beach, Old Portsmouth and Gunwharf which was fantastic to see. Will pots some pics in due course!

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/90170622/AFP
Old 29 August 2009, 17:22   #15

Town: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I'm not saying it is right to sail round the world without keeping a "proper" lookout, but equally I think it would be sad if compliance with this rule prevented the adventure / personal challenge that is singlehanded endurance sailing.

I believe they mitigate this risk by only sleeping for 20 minutes at a time; which together with radar ensures that it is very unlikely that there is anyone who presents a collision risk whilst they are not actually maintaining a lookout.

I'm not aware of any singlehanded round the world skipper colliding with anyone as a result of not keeping a proper lookout. As I understand it they will tend to maintain a constant lookout in any busy areas, which is possibly better than some ships!
Ok, so this is obviously a subject on which people will have differing opinions BUT a rule is a rule & this rule applies to "all vessels upon the high seas & in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels".
A watchkeeper on a merchant vessel is required to have a minimum of 10 hours of rest in a 24 hour period, one portion of this rest must be for a minimum of 6 hours, radar is a navigation aid & even with guard zones set up it may not detect everything. Radar is simply just one of the "all available means appropriate". A busy area is hard to define, but the rules do not differentiate between busy & quiet areas, hence the stipulation that a proper lookout must be kept at ALL times. Collisions are by there very nature caused by a chain of events leading up to the collision.
The logic that a single handed round the world skipper has not yet collided with anyone is illogical as the lapse of time during which this has not happened is in this logic alleged as a reason why it should never happen even when the lapse of time during which it has not happened would probably make such an event imminent?
Old 29 August 2009, 17:30   #16
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
Ok, so this is obviously a subject on which people will have differing opinions BUT a rule is a rule & this rule applies to "all vessels upon the high seas & in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels".
A watchkeeper on a merchant vessel is required to have a minimum of 10 hours of rest in a 24 hour period, one portion of this rest must be for a minimum of 6 hours, radar is a navigation aid & even with guard zones set up it may not detect everything. Radar is simply just one of the "all available means appropriate". A busy area is hard to define, but the rules do not differentiate between busy & quiet areas, hence the stipulation that a proper lookout must be kept at ALL times. Collisions are by there very nature caused by a chain of events leading up to the collision.
The logic that a single handed round the world skipper has not yet collided with anyone is illogical as the lapse of time during which this has not happened is in this logic alleged as a reason why it should never happen even when the lapse of time during which it has not happened would probably make such an event imminent?
Sorry to interrupt such a serious debate, shall we just give Mike support for such an achievement and debate who keeps the best watch on another post. The young man has achieved what most of us would not dare to do.
Old 29 August 2009, 17:31   #17
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
As Ian said I had the task of towing him in. We towed the boat all the way from Ryde in the end as he was running late. Quite an experaince coming into Portsmouth with a flotilla of about 30 boats including 2 police boats, HMS something and the worlds press. QHM held the IoW ferries to let us though! There were literally thousands of people lining the beach, Old Portsmouth and Gunwharf which was fantastic to see. Will pots some pics in due course!

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/901...6665E966ABA959
This link for your pics failed Tim
Old 29 August 2009, 17:51   #18

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Try now
Old 29 August 2009, 18:03   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
The young man has achieved what most of us would not dare to do.
Agreed .. its quite unbelievable really, for someone so young to have such resolve, or is it that the improvement in comms and nav gear and the internet has really made the world a smaller place ?
Old 29 August 2009, 18:05   #20
RIBnet supporter

Does not seem to work Tim -here is another link to some images taken by the photographer with me today

http://www.lightwaveimages.net/portfolio68444.html

Hope to have some Cowes powerboat race images uploaded later on racing forum