Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 September 2010, 06:42   #1
DJS

Boat name: *
Make: replacement soon!
Length: no boat
How good are the early Ribeye's

Hi Folks just when I had my Delta 5-5 sorted and loads of money spent on it to include new seat pods, servicing and the trailer overhauled doesn’t an opportunity to purchase another boat come along.

The boat in mind is local and it’s a 1998 Ribeye with a 90hp Yamaha, I really liked this boat and wanted to buy it prior to the Delta except then the folk decided to keep it at that point. I really like the Delta and had a Tornado before that and while these are great sea boats my family think they are a little too rugged.

The Ribeye has a dual cruise console, 4 seat pods (no rear bench) etc and is in excellent condition with a more softer finish which my family like (3 girls & my wife) and I have to admit I like the idea of the dual cruise with the family.

My query is what is the quality of these early Ribeye’s and how is there sea keeping, not that I am out in the rough with the family, but you do get caught out the odd day!!
Old 16 September 2010, 07:12   #2

Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x610hp jets
delta

id rather be stuck out in rough sea in the delta, could you not fit a double consul to the 5.5m
Old 16 September 2010, 09:09   #3
bob

Town: troon
Boat name: shadow
Make: avon
Length: 4.7
Engine: outboard,70hp
delta

Stick with the delta I had a540 dive with a 60 yammie and did not trust it at all in a sea Bob
Old 17 September 2010, 08:47   #4

Town: St John, Cornwall
Boat name: Ningaloo
Make: Ribeye 5.8m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100hp
Hi

As someone who actually has one of these boats and has had her out in rough seas, I can actually highly recommend them. The early Ribeyes were a fairly low volume operation and built very solidly in Dartmouth.

I have been out in almost all sea states in her.

But then actual experience is no substitute for anecdote.

Jon
Old 17 September 2010, 09:38   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Ribeye have a bit of a stigma on here. However if you talk to some of their more vocal critics (and actually listen to what they say) they don't really criticise the boats or the company - they usually seem to say something along the lines of you can get better for less money. That's not the same as saying the boat is bad.

I'm guessing that with 4 or 5 on board a Delta 5.5 that you've got at least a couple of people sat on the tubes? Whilst the Delta has a great reputation for sea keeping, I'm told by people who have had them out in nasty conditions that it is a very wet boat and not necessarily very comfortable (and this is from very experienced helms). It will get you home, but I don't think anyone would honestly say that a Ribeye would not get you home in the sort of conditions a leisure user might find themselves caught out in either.

I'm not going to suggest that the Ribeye is your ideal boat, but for the type of boating you've briefly outlined, with family aesthetics (which will let you use it more often), and the seating layout that you need etc - it is probably more appropriate than a Delta 5.5, especially if it has (or could easily get seats for all your family without using the suicide seat).

Before anyone jumps up and down to criticise that - assume we're talking F6, couple of metre high waves - not a F9 with 40 ft rollers... Where would you rather your daughters were sat? On a jockey seat at the back of a ribeye or clinging to the tubes of a delta....
Old 17 September 2010, 12:57   #6
DJS

Quote:
Polwart] I'm not going to suggest that the Ribeye is your ideal boat, but for the type of boating you've briefly outlined, with family aesthetics (which will let you use it more often), and the seating layout that you need etc - it is probably more appropriate than a Delta 5.5, especially if it has (or could easily get seats for all your family without using the suicide seat).

Before anyone jumps up and down to criticise that - assume we're talking F6, couple of metre high waves - not a F9 with 40 ft rollers... Where would you rather your daughters were sat? On a jockey seat at the back of a ribeye or clinging to the tubes of a delta....
Thanks to everyone for the replies and yes the point re seating is well made and as stated in my original post (should have been more explicit) I did go out of my way and buy 2 x 2 mad pods for the Delta to ensure everyone was seated. If the build quality and sea keeping in a F6 are comparable perhaps it does come down to Aesthetics!
Old 17 September 2010, 17:30   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
If the build quality and sea keeping in a F6 are comparable perhaps it does come down to Aesthetics!
I didn't say that the build quality and sea keeping were equivalent. The Delta will probably be built heavier, and so you'd expect to last better. Like a tractor it will be solid, robust and reasonably hard wearing etc - but probably a bit agricultural in finish. I'd expect the ribeye to be built weaker than the delta but it may well have had an easier life and so be in better shape.

As for sea keeping, you'd need to try them both in similar conditions to see how they suit your driving style / skill etc. The point being that if your intention is to use it in family friendly benign conditions then which is better in a F6 is irrelevant, because that is get you home stuff which both will do OK. If you were going out in F6 every week then the Delta would probably be your choice with a Gecko and Drysuit.
Old 17 September 2010, 21:24   #8

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Mmm... good hull, handles relatively well, i always thought they looked a bit strange towards the bow but that's just my opinion, Playtime had a molded deck and the dive was just sheathed ply. Encapsulated softwood stringers and bulkheads which could be an issue, (again, just my opinion) The first ones had Henshaw tubes on them but soon after were done in house.
Old 17 September 2010, 21:46   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Decent advice from Polwart IMO ..... I'm nobody's fan boy either before anyone wonders
Old 17 September 2010, 23:37   #10
DJS

[QUOTE=Polwart;370431] I didn't say that the build quality and sea keeping were equivalent.

I suggested they were comparable there is a difference and the advice is sound Polwart. Anyone who has owned one please keep the info flowing. The owner has now confirmed the year of manufacture as 1999 - at 5.6mt?

Thanks again to all!
Old 18 September 2010, 06:57   #11

Town: St John, Cornwall
Boat name: Ningaloo
Make: Ribeye 5.8m
Engine: Yamaha 100hp
I would agree with Ribraff that the bow can look a little odd. The hull is excellent and the moulded decks and double console are very well built and leisure oriented. I had the "advantage" of doing my RYA PB 1&2 in mine in a F6 with 15ft waves just outside Plymouth breakwater and the instructor was impressed with her seakeeping (he has a Ribcraft). I also find her a pretty dry boat.

Highly recommended.