Old 23 February 2004, 19:35   #1

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Non slip deck paint

Any recommendations for a good paint which offers excellent footing for rib deck ?

Have seen tins of grit which you can add to normal paint which gives a rough texture , any good ?

Whats best and works well ?
Old 23 February 2004, 22:18   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
International Non Slip

Used the non slip paint several times with mixed results.

The first time the deck was scrubbed and cleaned three times with a green pan cleaner, the first coat thinned and two coats applied. Given that the boat was used for diving so lots of heavy metal sliding about the finish only needed the odd touch up at the end of the season.

Second boat didn't get quite the same prep and the first coat wasn't thinned so it chipped off.

Third time I used the non slip mix in a normal tin of paint by the same manufacturer, yuk, it took days to set and looked awful.

So on reflection, and as if you didn't know lots of prep and use the paint from the tin already mixed with the non slip. I like the light grey colour which only needs the odd touch up at the end of the season and during the hot summers we are going to have its kind to walk on in bare feet.

Pete
Old 23 February 2004, 22:43   #3

Town: London
Length: no boat
Protecta Kote

I can recommend Protecta Kote from New Venture Products. I have it on my boat - looks good, works well.

http://www.newventureproducts.co.uk/...pagename=pkote
Old 23 February 2004, 23:32   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Rich, that looks like a good idea, how long have you had it on the boat ? and any pics ?

Pete
Old 24 February 2004, 09:30   #5

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Seems great

Seems great but no white or cream colours to cater for leisure boat market , seems daft ?

www.boatpaint.co.uk

Protecta-Kote
Protectakote will chemically bond to most clean and dry surfaces. These include, but are not limited to, concrete, wood, fiberglass, metal, rubber and sound-painted materials.
Protectakote also bonds to itself making it repairable.
Using recycled tyres as its grit it is very tough, resilient and durable, yet comfortable and non-abrasive.
Since Protecta-Kote is a moisture cured paint all tins must be completely air tight and once opened must be used within 24hrs.
To open a tin more easily - they are very tightly sealed- the technique is to use a screw driver to gradually work your way round the tin parallel to the edge of the tin and not at 90 degrees.

Available in Black,Blue,Green,Gray and Red.
Old 24 February 2004, 11:37   #6

Town: London
Length: no boat
Came painted (blue) on my boat by the previous owner (who was very pleased with it). Works well but would have to say that it already looks a little tired and discoloured here and there after 18 months. No wear though and I'm still very pleased with it. I'll be applying another coat shortly.

Sorry, no pictures (no camera!).