Closed Thread

Old 26 August 2004, 09:36   #61

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Thanks, Alan, for your very helpful, considered reply which sums up pretty much what I had found out by doing a few searches on Google. Obviously, we need to consider all the options and hope to come to a decision soon.

Also, thanks for your support, Neal.
Old 26 August 2004, 09:41   #62

Any legal bods out there?

Am I right in thinking that the whole public liability stuff comes in because it's fee-paying? Could we organise a non-fee-paying treasure hunt and then just have a collection for charity in the pub afterwards, when we give out the prizes?

Can anyone advise please?
Old 26 August 2004, 10:05   #63

Town: London
Length: no boat
Quote:
Am I right in thinking that the whole public liability stuff comes in because it's fee-paying? Could we organise a non-fee-paying treasure hunt and then just have a collection for charity in the pub afterwards, when we give out the prizes?
I'm not legal but thats what I was thinking.
Old 27 August 2004, 18:16   #64
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
In what way am I not being fair?
You're female, aren't you?

I'm working at the boat show until Friday, so if you require safety cover, let me know. The normal fee for providing a fully equipped paramedic crewed safety boat is £465 but seeing as I know you, I'll settle for a packet of dolly mixtures, a sherbert dip and the answers to the clues, thank you.

DM

P.S. I have medical negligence insurance so if I kill somebody, we're covered.
Old 27 August 2004, 18:23   #65

Huge thanks, Dave. That's a very generous offer. I've since found out that Sue (co-organiser) is a qualified first aider so I reckon with the two of you on board we'll be the safest group of boats around that day! I'll drop you a PM.

We're still considering how we are going to proceed but are all agreed that we are not going to give up without exploring all options. We still need more research/advice into whether we can run the day legally without public liability insurance. Can anybody point me to a good legal advice site/person?

Once again, many thanks to everyone who has offered their advice, support and ideas. Keep watching this thread!

Old 27 August 2004, 18:43   #66

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
You're female, aren't you?

I'm working at the boat show until Friday, so if you require safety cover, let me know. The normal fee for providing a fully equipped paramedic crewed safety boat is £465 but seeing as I know you, I'll settle for a packet of dolly mixtures, a sherbert dip and the answers to the clues, thank you.

DM

P.S. I have medical negligence insurance so if I kill somebody, we're covered.

Big hand to you Dave, I don't care what other people say I think your a gent!
Nick
Old 27 August 2004, 20:13   #67

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
We still need more research/advice into whether we can run the day legally without public liability insurance. Once again, many thanks to everyone who has offered their advice, support and ideas.
Regarding the above...another thing that might be helpful might be a copy of the Risk Assessment we use at work for the involvement of children in activities (especially hazardous activities)?

I'd be happy to get it to you once I'm back in the office this week. (Also to go over it with you/the team too beforehand if you wish?)

Missus
Old 27 August 2004, 20:54   #68

Thank you for the offer, and of course we will be doing all we can to ensure everyone is as 'safe' as possible, but I don't see why you think so much 'paperwork' is required? After all, we don't do formal risk assessments and take out public liability insurance every time we go out cruising in company, do we? This is not an educational activity, nor is it open to the 'general public'. I would be interested to hear others' views on this, especially anyone with a legal background who can give me a definitive answer, please.

I would like to know: at what point does an informal gathering of friends for a day of fun become a formal 'event' requiring copious amounts of paperwork and money going to third parties in order to insure against possible litigation? Can any of us ever again post cruise ideas or is that too risky now as we might be sued if something goes wrong? STAND BY TO CLOSE DOWN THE CRUISING SECTION, JK!!

P.S. In my previous occupation, as I'm sure you're aware, I became acquainted with such policies/documents and have ready access to them, but thank you anyway.
Old 27 August 2004, 21:13   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Louise,

IMHO there is a world of difference, legally and liability wise in a bunch of people on rib.net saying "lets meet up on sat on the solent" and someone saying "i am organising an event, pay me x to attend (although for a good cause)". As event organisers you have both a duty of care and a risk of liability if something goes wrong.

Alan
I think what Alan's pointed out is highly relevant. ( I was responding to your request for support BTW but ultimately it is of course up to you . )

Missus
Old 27 August 2004, 21:14   #70

But as we will not be charging anyone to attend (favourite idea is a charity collection afterwards), surely this is now just an informal gathering?
Old 27 August 2004, 21:20   #71

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Hi Louise,
Not often I join all you estemed members in your deliberations of boating matters, however reading through this thread the solution seems simple, have you considerd dropping the entry fee, instead sell a little booklet(treasure hunt documents) to all the boats, totally up to crew on induvidual boats what the choose to do with said booklet, one would hope that each skipper have his own insurance to cover his boat and crew. I do hope you go ahead with the get together sounds fun I might even be there. Dont often get on the water these days. See you soon. The GUVNOR......
Old 27 August 2004, 21:22   #72

Cheers Guv. Hope you can make it. Would be good to see you on the water - and dare we hope that it'll be in BB??

Good idea, BTW. Might well be the solution.

Edit: sorry about my misunderstanding earlier - should've realised!!!
Old 27 August 2004, 21:40   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I might even be there. Dont often get on the water theese days.
Now there's one kid who may need very careful supervision

Missus
Old 28 August 2004, 07:22   #74

Quote:
OK treasure hunters, get ready for THE charity event of the autumn.

Following the great success of the RIBnet Conference Treasure Hunt in June organised superbly by Daniel and Kevin, we would like to invite you and your family to a fun day of solving clues, hunting for REAL treasure, oh, and RIBBING, of course!

The emphasis is very much on FAMILY FUN so we hope, nay EXPECT, you to bring along your children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. If you don't have any then beg or borrow some (but please don't kidnap any! ). Fun treasure will be awarded to every child (if they solve the fiendishly difficult clue! ) and a prize/trophy will be awarded to the winning team. We're not sure what it is yet, but it'll be great!!!

For those of you for whom it's the WINNING that matters, extra points will be awarded per crew member for wearing pirate-themed fancy dress. (But as we are hoping you will join us for drinks in the pub after, it may be advisable to bring a change of clothes! ).....

This must-attend event will take place on Saturday 4th September with Sunday 19th in reserve in case the weather is unsuitable. The Treasure Hunt will last for one whole day. Start and end points, the lunch stop venue and timings will be confirmed later.

It is a charity event so we will be asking every skipper to make a modest minimum donation as an entry fee. The receiving charity, nominated by John Kennett, is GAFIRS , the Gosport and Fareham Independent Lifeboat and Rescue Service.

So PLEASE sign up on this thread and pencil the dates into your diary and let's make this a huge, fun event for everyone.
It does sound a little different (from cruising in company)and extra special!!! this event and perhaps the safety discussion is therefore helpful (for other organisers too).

Us
Old 28 August 2004, 08:37   #75

The day out will, we hope, be extra special but will not, we are determined, require vast amounts of paperwork and additional expense.

After this experience, I could not encourage anyone in a similar position to 'organise an event' as it is just too demanding (legalities/insurance-wise) but I DO urge everyone to arrange informal cruises (themed or otherwise) and have lots of safe fun together! (Assuming that doesn't make me liable if anything should go wrong. )

I hope this discussion has been helpful to others, and I hope that we have now found the solution. All we ever wanted to do was have fun with other RIBnetters and do a bit of good at the same time.
Old 28 August 2004, 18:57   #76

Town: Leatherhead
Hi Louise,

You might like to have a browse at:

http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/sh...t=3#Post561804

from the YBW Motor Boat forum where the problem of liability was raised. Some of the members (Observer for one) are legal beagles I think.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Old 28 August 2004, 19:38   #77

Thanks Peter. Not sure if I'm more confused or less, now though! Think I might post over there to see if anyone can confirm that the change we've made is enough to take away the threat of possible litigation if a problem occurred.
Old 28 August 2004, 20:34   #78

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Now there's one kid who may need very careful supervision

Missus
As it happens, my Mum has been with us all week so I am being supervised. quite a lot lately.
Old 28 August 2004, 20:37   #79

A laydee at each elbow...

I can see it now

K
Old 31 August 2004, 17:05   #80

Town: Hamble
Make: marlin
Engine: inboard 165hp diesel
hello joining late.... so its now the 19th 10am at calshot not this weekend? (nice weather this weekend!!)