Old 13 September 2020, 14:31   #1

Town: Horsham
Length: no boat
Newbie day out from Swanwick

Hi, planning my first day out on the Solent this coming Friday, after securing a bare boat RIB for the day from Swanwick.

Would really appreciate some advice or suggestions as to where to go!

Initially I plan to go from Swanwick towards Saxon Wharf area, as this is where I completed my Powerboat L2 and will give me a good chance to familiarise myself with the rib and getting used to the controls.

Thanks in advance!
Old 15 September 2020, 16:41   #2

Town: Cirencester
Boat name: Whistler/Flying Fish
Make: Avon SR4 / Excel XHD
Length: 4m +
Engine: O/B 50hp / 20hp
MMSI: 232029831/232027528
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8doc View Post
Hi, planning my first day out on the Solent this coming Friday, after securing a bare boat RIB for the day from Swanwick.

Initially I plan to go from Swanwick towards Saxon Wharf area, as this is where I completed my Powerboat L2 and will give me a good chance to familiarise myself with the rib and getting used to the controls.

Thanks in advance!
Is that a RIB from Urban Truant by any chance?
Old 15 September 2020, 16:57   #3

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
The run up the Hamble to the entrance of Southampton Water is nice the first few times (I rent boats from UT as well), but can become a little tedious after while. However on a nice day its lovely to see the sailing dinghies and stuff out on the water.

From the Hamble you can go 'right' and head down towards the Itchen and up to Saxon Wharf, nice and fairly sheltered in comparison. Just keep a good lookout for the Red Jet. At 40 Knots it can be on you in seconds.

Alternatively try a cruise up the Beaulieu river to Bucklers Hard. As long as you follow the channel markers through the bar you'll be fine, and its a lovely wildlife habitat. The river itself is gorgeous and Bucklers Hard is very picturesque.

From there I usually hop over to East Cowes marina for lunch at the Lifeboat Inn or Town Quay just beside the Red Jet terminal in West Cowes for lunch in The Fountain.

Another good spot is Yarmouth for a good choice of lunch.

Or take a packed lunch and head over to Osbourne Bay, drop anchor and just enjoy the peace and quiet. Similarly with Newtown Creek.

There are some great places on the Solent and Southampton Water, all within easy reach on a good day.

Watch out for Bramble Bank at low tide, also be mindful of the exclusion zone around large vessels entering Southampton Water, you can see it on charts. But aside from that you'll have a great day out. If you were going Thursday I'd have joined you
Old 15 September 2020, 16:57   #4

Town: Horsham
Length: no boat
Thank you for such a good reply!

I did wonder if that run out of Swanwick might be a little ‘tedious’, as you put it, after looking at charts and google maps over the past few days. Although I’m sure it will be anything but that for me the first few times... just looking forward to getting on the water!

I think you’ve given me enough ideas there for my next few outings. The Lifeboat Inn for lunch sounds like a plan
Old 15 September 2020, 17:01   #5

Quote:
Yes. Nice looking website, few reviews but what I found on here was enough to give them a go!

Have you used them before?
I'm what they call a 'super user' lol. I must have rented from them over 30 times since last summer. Their boats are fabulous and the team are great. Also the facilities at Swanwick marina are brilliant.

Be careful when leaving the pontoon as the tide can run at quite a rate as it rounds the bend near the Jolly Sailor. I usually use a midship line meaning I can keep full control and leave the pontoon single handed without wrestling with bow and stern lines.

But yes they are brilliant and great value for money, Also I know Russel Lake the guy who runs UT has just renewed the entire fleet of RIBs