Old 24 June 2024, 08:38   #21

Town: St Germans
Boat name: RRS
Make: RS
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp outboard
Anchoring.

Glad to help and excellent news about PBL2 in Fowey!

To answer your Q here’s a photo of us anchored just off the camp site at St Martins - nice and sandy.

We ran into this anchorage dropping the kedge in deep water on a very long line. We then nosed onto the beach to drop people and kit to keep everything/ one dry, and dropped the main anchor on the beach. This way you have more flexibility on boat positioning and in stupidly shallow water you can haul yourself safely into deep water, drop the propeller and make sure that everything’s good to go before recovering your kedge.

And if you really want to whet your appetite even further…. then David Eastburn and Tim Good’s ‘Harbours and Anchorages of Scilly’ 2nd Edition book is a wonderful resource when you can’t access google maps for satellite imagery!

Hope you all have a wonderful trip.

M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9859.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	145274  
Old 28 June 2024, 10:49   #22

Town: West Country
Boat name: None
Make: None
Length: 6m +
Engine: None
Thanks team- good advice on here.

My copy of ‘Harbours and anchorages…’ arrived today. Nice book.

All we need now is good weather and a convoy!
Old Yesterday, 20:33   #23

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
I'm in Cornwall from the 20th for two week's and I had planned a trip to Scilly, but my outboard let go whilst in Scotland. I have just fitted a new to me Mercury Optimax 75hp and the early signs say it's running well....but I have yet to give it a shakedown. Over the next couple of weekends I'm hoping to get my boat (5m Tornado) out on the river near me, where we have an unrestricted section I use.

If all goes well, I could be up for a trip ( weather permitting) Like you It would be just My Son and I, and we were hoping to camp too.
let me know if you're still planning on going and I will keep you posted on my mechanical status.
We would launch from Penzance....Gorran Haven is a smashing place but the slipway is restricted by both tide and time.
Cheers Paul.
Old Yesterday, 21:02   #24

Town: West Country
Boat name: None
Make: None
Length: 6m +
Engine: None
Paul

Yes, plans progressing nicely thanks and still keen to go.

I’ve booked the camping,, the boat goes in the water this weekend, a few more minor bits and pieces have been purchased and hopefully it’s all lining up nicely.

There’s still availability on the campsite on St Martins if you wanted to book…it’s a bit of a punt I’m afraid on the campsite, because it’s not refundable (but then again, it’s not obscenely expensive either!).

I’ll start looking more closely at the weather as we get a week or so out…fingers crossed!

Hope the testing/proving goes well, would be good to have some company for the transit.

« Budgee's boat bash | Top | - »