Old 20 June 2024, 17:32   #1

Town: West Country
Boat name: None
Make: None
Length: 6m +
Engine: None
Scilly Isles 21-24 July 2024

Afternoon all!

Have finally taken the plunge, stopped prevaricating and booked some camping for St Martins in the Scillies for 21-24 July.

Planning to depart Gorran Haven early doors, stop in Penzance to pick up gas and depart asap for the islands.

I’d be really keen for a transit buddy/buddies to go in convoy or flotilla.

It will be two of us (me and my lad-13) and we’re on a 6.2m RIB with a Yamaha 130, with a 150l fuel tank. We’re pretty well equipped and safety minded, but haven’t done this length of journey before, so keen to have an extra comfort blanket of group travel!

Would be happy to amend the plan if it means better involvement.

Always happy to listen to advice too, so wisdom is welcome.

Please let me know if you’re interested.
Old 20 June 2024, 22:09   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Unless it's changed since I was last there, I don't believe there's any petrol in Penzance harbour - you'd have to walk/taxi to the Coop or Tesco with some cans?
Old 20 June 2024, 22:45   #3

Thanks Paul- I was thinking to use the Asda (Co-op?) petrol station on Western Promenade….? I’ve had a look on google earth and it looks workable/feasible? Thinking of anchoring close by and walking up to it?

Advice (or better ideas!) welcome.

I’m also planning on putting a couple of Jerry cans on board, so with the best part of 190 litres I might not need to take gas at all- picking some (expensive) fuel up on the Scillies before rtb.

There’s nothing worse than sky above you, runway behind you and fuel in the bowser, so I’m possibly being over cautious. ;-)
Old 20 June 2024, 23:20   #4

You can never be too cautious as far as I"m concerned, especially along that stretch of coast which can easily change conditions!
A fairly direct route Gorran Haven to Hugh Town looks like ~70NM each way, so 140NM total return trip, + any motoring you do once you've arrived in the Isles of Scilly?

Assuming an average of ~1l/NM I'd be planning around a safe built in tank range of ~100NM, with a 50NM (1/3rd) reserve. So the built in tank would allow you to get to Hugh Town with some reserve for bad weather/indirect routing, but you won't have enough to come back safely.

As you say, personally I'd be taking at least 40l-60l extra in tanks/cans which should hopefully then provide sufficient fuel for the whole trip, assuming you don't burn a huge amount once arrived in the islands. And if you want to grab an expensive few litres in High Town, you can always grab an extra bit if you do burn more during lots of day trips around the islands.

Depending on conditions in the bay and state of tide, if you can get close in by the skate park/fuel station in Penzance that should be doable, although potentially not needed if you carry some cans, which would also avoid an extra ~20NM/1 hour of travel just to go and get more fuel?
Old 21 June 2024, 06:19   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I've never been to the scillies but have looked at it as a cruising destination. I thought there was little in the way of moorings/pontoons/ harbours for visiting boats. I thought that most visiting craft required to anchor & the available Anchorages were more or less untenable in anything other than ideal conditions, doesnt seem like a good place to leave a rib unattended while your camping ashore. Have you found somewhere to leave the boat while your there?
Sounds like a great trip if you have found a suitable berth for the boat.
Old 21 June 2024, 07:41   #6

Thanks Paul- genuinely grateful for the advice and input!

I’d noted the Penzance dogleg, but might be a good place to assemble a flotilla!

I’m ever so slightly more pessimistic with my fuel burn figures, so thinking it’s going to be an expensive purchase in Hughtown.
Old 21 June 2024, 07:52   #7

Thanks Beamishken. I understand there are a few public moorings, but I’m planning to anchor off the beach (or leave it on the beach!).

I’m only as clever as what I’ve read and/or seen on google….which could be a problem.

I’ve booked camping at St Martins, so my initial plan is to anchor off in the shallow sandy area called The Flats (taking the beach/drying out if necessary). There are some moorings (and possibly a more secure anchorage) just a few minutes away in Higher Town and as plan C, some public moorings available in the sound by Lower Town.

I caveat all of the above with ‘I’ve never been…’ so if anyone can see I’m talking nonsense, please shout!
Old 21 June 2024, 07:53   #8

Personally I think the best and most protected moorings from most conditions in Scilly are between Bryher and Tresco. We were lucky in having a lift keel sailing yacht you could just park on the beach, and by far the best place was as high up the beach on Green Bay, Bryher as you can get - we've spent many nights there!

The "main" moorings at Hugh Town are often very swelly in the prevailing W/SW winds, I haven't stayed there for longer than 5 minutes! On the opposite side of St Mary's we find Porth Cressa can be slightly better, but can get swelly too. There's a lovely anchorage at Watermill Cove on the east end of St Mary's that's good in a westerly.

For St. Martin we typically anchor in Great Bay/Little Bay in the western end, or Bull's Porth (by the massive daymark) in the eastern end as we reckon those are slightly better in the W/SW. If there is a hint of N though, they get swelly! The quay areas at Lower Town/Higher Town equally are often swelly, and you have to keep reasonably clear given the ferries/trip boats. There are some (local, I believe) moorings at Higher Town - worth asking St Martin's directly if you could borrow one. The beaches are pretty sandy as well if you don't mind parking on/close to the sand.

The Isles of Scilly are a fluid place though - you have to be prepared to move the boat each day as the weather changes, and/or even leaving the islands early if the weather is due to change. An absolutely amazing place though and well worth trying to get there.
Old 21 June 2024, 08:00   #9

One of our trips there, if it encourages (or discourages!) any visitors :
Old 21 June 2024, 08:01   #10

Paul- thanks, really helpful.

Noted your point on the changing nature of the moorings/anchorages- and at pace.

I think I’ll write an aide-memoire for potential places depending on wind/tide to help me. Memory like a sieve.

I’ve been desperate to go for ages- it was part of the reason we bought a boat in the first place. I haven’t felt quite experienced enough up to now, but am feeling confident and ready to spread the wings a bit further (and as the lad grows he gets more useful as a first mate!).
Old 21 June 2024, 08:47   #11

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Engine: 100 Yammy
I have a job provisionally in for these dates, but if it does not get confirmed I would be well up for this run
Old 21 June 2024, 09:12   #12

Definitely buy and study the charts/pilot guides before you get there, and navigate carefully/slowly. Never assume you can just go from A to B even in a RIB, there's loads of rocks, shallows, etc., and you do have to pick your way carefully. If you can get hold of a copy (think it's been out of print for years now), Peter Kynes "A Sailors' Guide to the Isles of Scilly" is a great book with excellent descriptions and line drawings of the best routes to navigate with transits, lines, etc.
Old 21 June 2024, 10:54   #13

Thanks- that’s just prompted me to buy some paper charts for the area. I have the Garmin Navionics, but for offline and pre-study I’m much happier with the paper.

@Obsidian- it would be great to have you onboard.
Old 21 June 2024, 21:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
Thanks- that’s just prompted me to buy some paper charts for the area. I have the Garmin Navionics, but for offline and pre-study I’m much happier with the paper.
Good choice, and worth taking with you for some evening planning/homework if you are going to explore the islands!

If the weather is good and you're confident to explore then well worth visiting some of the other islands. We love St Martins, but also equally love visiting Tresco, Bryher, St Agnes/Gugh, and as you aren't staying on St Mary's worth popping in there if you can as the "main" island. Obviously loads of nature around too if you're into that, the local guides will tell you where's best that week, but typically loads of seals basking in the sun off Menawethan or the Eastern Isles.
Old 23 June 2024, 06:53   #15

Town: St Germans
Boat name: RRS
Make: RS
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp outboard
Morning All,

We’re new to this forum, but literally just back from 4 days in the Scillies having done almost exactly what you’re planning with my 16 year old (RYA qualified) son. We camped at the fab site on Bryher and based our small (exactly 5m) boat in the sound between Bryher and Tresco.

Some thoughts for you:

- Petrol at the quay in St Mary’s is way cheaper than expected. We paid £2.22 per litre at the quay 3 days ago.
- Once inside the harbour you have the choice of mooring alongside to take fuel directly (but I’d go close to high tide because it’s a long way down), or pick up one of the red moorings 30-40m from the quay and borrow one of the harbour tenders that are perfect for arriving RIBs without their own dinghy.
- You can stay here a ‘while’, but competition in July will probably be fierce. If you do stop here for fuel, then you can also easily access the shops, bank, post office too.
- Take plenty of cash! You’ll need it for a range of eventualities and Scilly is epic but very, very expensive.
- We used The Isles of Scilly Boat Hire moorings (they’re blue!) throughout the islands for £20 a night. Depending upon the state of tide I would expect that some will dry, but it was really convenient to use their moorings off Bryher, St Martins and Tresco for one fee. They’re on the beach at Anneka’s Quay, Bryher, and have a good website.
- Our plan B for poor weather was to be trailered out by tractor at Bennett Boatyard in Green Bay, Bryher and then catch the ferry home. They’re perfectly set up for this and the storage costs (in summer) are attractive.
- We anchored off the St Martins campsite one afternoon and I’d happily dry our boat out close to the camp site.
- Irrespective of the weather, take additional warm clothes/ wind proof tops for the camp site because, unless you’re in a pub or have a huge tent, you’ll struggle to get out of the wind (or find shade from the sun).
- Take a decent kedge anchor so that you can easily haul out from your anchorage to drop your outboard.
- The Ordnance Survey map (101) is well worth buying before you start exploring ashore.
- Mobile connectivity is either blissfully limited or terrible depending on your perspective. We could not reliably use some of the app based features of Navionics or Savvynavvy, but our Garmin chart plotter was outstanding.
- We used ‘Oxford drystash T45’ waterproof motorcycle bags for our gear. They’re comfortable to carry with good straps and lashing points, kept our stuff dry and cost about £25 ish from EBay.
- Final thought…. We put both of our children through RYA Powerboat Level 2 as 12 year olds. Might be an easy way to add resilience to your plan if you have time?

Hope that helps and whilst we’re not veterans of Scilly, I’m very happy to answer Q’s if the info above needs clarification.

M
Old 23 June 2024, 08:25   #16

Final, final thought…. If you intend to eat out then make your reservations as early as you dare. Options are limited and the bookings fill up fast. I’d definitely recommend booking your first and second night food plans to avoid disappointment.

M
Old 23 June 2024, 22:02   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateSyrett View Post
Morning All,

We’re new to this forum, but literally just back from 4 days in the Scillies having done almost exactly what you’re planning with my 16 year old (RYA qualified) son. We camped at the fab site on Bryher and based our small (exactly 5m) boat in the sound between Bryher and Tresco.

M
Sounds like a great trip - makes me want to go back again now!
Old 24 June 2024, 05:33   #18

Photo dump!

Thanks paulbrown22. Here’s a few photos from our trip. The deserted beach is at Samson and the tower is Cromwell’s fort on Tresco with Bryher campsite in the background.

Superb weather and great adventure!

M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9798.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	145269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9840.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	145270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9844.jpg
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	145271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9838.jpg
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	145272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9802.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	145273  

Old 24 June 2024, 08:04   #19

Starting to get more excited about this- thanks for all the info and photos.

PirateSyrett- great intel! Both kids are booked for the PBL2 before we go, over at Fowey Maritime Centre (I’ve heard good things).
Old 24 June 2024, 08:20   #20

Just a question on your kedge anchor point..? Were you using it to drag yourself to a deep enough position (as in throw, haul, throw, haul, deep water, go) or from the beach as a secondary?

« Budgee's boat bash | Top | - »