Old 22 May 2006, 19:09   #21

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
I was assuming Tim had some no claims? Unless you know something I don't
He does. Jimbo kindly rescued me three weeks ago on the M3 when I wrote my car off.....
Old 22 May 2006, 19:33   #22
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
He does. Jimbo kindly rescued me three weeks ago on the M3 when I wrote my car off.....
Hope your alrite Tim, what happened! Im guessing it wasn't your fault then....I assume it was your new Astra.
Old 22 May 2006, 20:24   #23

Yer I'm fine......Was driving towards Southamton at rush hour. Was in the fast lane but not doing a great speed (40ish maybe) in a bit of a tail-back. Bloke in front of me was driving too close to the car in front and slammed on his brakes....I ended up going into the back of him. Off to the auction on Thursday to get another Astra!
Old 22 May 2006, 20:31   #24
ADS

Quote:
Yer I'm fine......Was driving towards Southamton at rush hour. Was in the fast lane but not doing a great speed (40ish maybe) in a bit of a tail-back. Bloke in front of me was driving too close to the car in front and slammed on his brakes....I ended up going into the back of him. Off to the auction on Thursday to get another Astra!
Not to bad then, inevitable really, shame the car was written off, one of those things though Best of luck finding another one, I too will be doing the used car hunt in a few weeks
Old 22 May 2006, 20:37   #25

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
I have been toying with the idea of one of these for quite a while.

Drawbacks are you can't insure them for road use, and they are apparently illegal on a pavement.
They are illegal anywhere other than on private land. Same applies to mini-motos

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 20:44   #26
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Bloke in front of me was driving too close to the car in front and slammed on his brakes.... I was driving too close to him and I ended up going into the back of him.
Fixed for you!

John
Old 22 May 2006, 20:52   #27

Were you there Mr Kennet? I think not....fair dos I could have been further back but there’s no denying that he did brake very quickly.

If the details must be known, this accident didn't write my car off, well sort of. Whilst having the minor damage it sustained repaired, it became apparent that my car was a "cut and shut" and hence was a death trap and not worth repairing. (And yes I did do an HPI check before I bought it and it came back clean). I am now out of pocket to the sum of the car and have to find another one. I thank you for your compassion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	astra.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	19446  
Old 22 May 2006, 21:05   #28
ADS

Quote:
Were you there Mr Kennet? I think not....fair dos I could have been further back but there’s no denying that he did brake very quickly.

If the details must be known, this accident didn't write my car off, well sort of. Whilst having the minor damage it sustained repaired, it became apparent that my car was a "cut and shut" and hence was a death trap and not worth repairing. (And yes I did do an HPI check before I bought it and it came back clean). I am now out of pocket to the sum of the car and have to find another one. I thank you for your compassion.

Thats a bugger Tim, if you don't mind me asking did you buy it privately or from a dealer, can you get some money back on it from the vendor?
Old 22 May 2006, 21:11   #29

Bought it from an "fellow" (who informed me while I was filling in the V5 that he didnt like dealing with "white boys") in London. At least I will have lots of spare parts for the next one!
Old 22 May 2006, 21:21   #30
ADS

Quote:
Bought it from an "fellow" (who informed me while I was filling in the V5 that he didnt like dealing with "white boys") in London. At least I will have lots of spare parts for the next one!
Oh dear, not good. Where was it cut and shut?
Now I may be wrong but the 1.7dti that was in your Astra I think is the same unit that is in Andre's Seahawk 3, the 1.7 Mercruiser unit. I assume the engine is ok, can you see where this is going
Old 22 May 2006, 21:24   #31
ADS

Think I was right RW says a simlar thing here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3533

Would need some serious mods to put it in a rib though!
Old 22 May 2006, 21:25   #32
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
there’s no denying that he did brake very quickly.
Yes, that's because he was trying not to run into the car in front...
Someone tried to say the same thing to me last year when he ran his British Gas van into the back of my fourtrak after I'd had to do an emergency stop when 2 kids ran out in front of me.
He was convinced it wasn't his fault-He even continued spouting the same shit after I asked him if he would have preferred me to run over two children.

JK is right.

If you run into the back of a vehicle then you were either

1) Not paying attention

or

2)Driving too bloody close.

In either case it's your fault.

Yes, I'm being self-righteous. I have to spend the day at work watching the mental cripples and idiots staring at the end of their bonnets that drive along the motorways trying to find new and interesting ways of committing suicide under my truck.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2006, 21:30   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Oh dear, not good. Where was it cut and shut?
Now I may be wrong but the 1.7dti that was in your Astra I think is the same unit that is in Andre's Seahawk 3, the 1.7 Mercruiser unit. I assume the engine is ok, can you see where this is going
Im planning to buy another Astra the same model as the one I've got at auction. Im hoping to find one thats in good cosmetic condition but has something wrong with it (like a buggered engine). The idea being that I can get parts transplated from one to the other to make one good car (my next door neighbour is a mechanic which is handy) and sell the other one on ebay for parts......
Old 22 May 2006, 21:34   #34
ADS

Quote:
Im planning to buy another Astra the same model as the one I've got at auction. Im hoping to find one thats in good cosmetic condition but has something wrong with it (like a buggered engine). The idea being that I can get parts transplated from one to the other to make one good car (my next door neighbour is a mechanic which is handy) and sell the other one on ebay for parts......
That would be the sensible thing to do I guess, would be fun to engineer it into a rib though! I will look out for a previous generation Astra with a shagged engine then
Does your accomadation in Pompey run through the summer, or are you going to be doing any Solent boating this summer?
Old 22 May 2006, 21:34   #35

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
earlier this year i was travelling down the m4, it was day break and the light was just starting to break thru but it was still dark

on the hard shoulder was a coach and your eyes were drawn to the coach and a man standing by the coach

next thing i was presented with a stationary solitary car in the middle lane having been distracted by the coach and the chap, at speed it is not always easy to see if a car is stationary or doing 80 in such circumstances when it is near dark

it just had its lights on and nothing else like hazzards

i managed to swerve round it just but the car behind me crashed into the central reservation, a few others crashed as well

question

would i have been at fault if i could not have taken avoiding action in time and hit a stationary car in the middle lane of the motorway in the near dark?
Old 22 May 2006, 21:35   #36

Quote:
In either case it's your fault.
Fair enough, we have already established Im a complete wanker for getting a speeding ticket so I expect this thread will only add to peoples opionions of me and my driving.

As they say experience is the best way to improve your driving so on that basis I’m looking at this positively.
Old 22 May 2006, 21:37   #37

Quote:
Does your accomadation in Pompey run through the summer, or are you going to be doing any Solent boating this summer?
Yes - Im planning to bring the Osprey down at some point over the summer. We shall all have to get together and have a student cruise!!
Old 22 May 2006, 21:43   #38
ADS

Quote:
Yes - Im planning to bring the Osprey down at some point over the summer. We shall all have to get together and have a student cruise!!
I was thinking the same the Ring is just about finished just a few little niggles, need sorting out and to finish wiring in the CD player Will post a thread nearer the time when im back at home, definatly a student cruise. Looking forward to seeing how that Osprey goes with the 115hp, should be lively
A quick search has showed loads of Astras on ebay, you shouldn't have a problem transfering your engine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-vauxhall-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/51-PLATE-ASTRA...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Astra...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-VAUXHALL-...QQcmdZViewItem

A couple of those are estates though.....
Old 23 May 2006, 03:59   #39
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Fair enough, we have already established Im a complete wanker for getting a speeding ticket so I expect this thread will only add to peoples opionions of me and my driving.

As they say experience is the best way to improve your driving so on that basis I’m looking at this positively.

No, we've established that you don't pay enough attention while driving and don't realise it. If you did then you would have seen the speed camera, the speed limit sign and the car braking.

Fair comment on improving your driving and I think you were very lucky there being in a cut'n'shut that didn't fall in half.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 11:09   #40
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
No, we've established that you don't pay enough attention while driving and don't realise it. If you did then you would have seen the speed camera, the speed limit sign and the car braking.

Fair comment on improving your driving and I think you were very lucky there being in a cut'n'shut that didn't fall in half.
Fair point, but where you the worlds best driver when you were under 20, and did you drive like a priest?
Some of you make these comments but when you were of this age speed cameras were not in existence, and the current stance of this governement on attacking the motorist had yet to come into play.