Old 04 October 2023, 07:36   #61

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
It's good to see I'm not alone in some of my thoughts about the site.

Yes the cost of Fuel must be putting some off, personally I've swapped my old DT200EFI out for an almost as old 225Opti with the hope of better fuel economy at cruising speeds, but life, a motorcycle accident, and work has got in the way so I've not tried it yet.
Although I don't think I'll be anywhere near 1l a mile at any speed.
However I'm mid plan for for some much cheaper, and in many ways more fun boating, so watch this space.

I do feel quite strongly that an update to the site would make it appeal more to some 'Younger viewers'.
When I joined up, 20yrs in Jan 24, it was cutting edge, but now feels old and lacking in features compared to the newer formats I use on a couple of Motorcycle forums.
Compare this to Ribnet:
https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/thread...ect-999.87890/

I don't do FB, Twitter etc, and don't plan too, but some stuff that's migrated out to forums can work well.
Old 04 October 2023, 08:03   #62

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
When I joined up, 20yrs in Jan 24, it was cutting edge, but now feels old and lacking in features compared to the newer formats I use on a couple of Motorcycle forums.
Compare this to Ribnet:
https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/thread...ect-999.87890/.
Hi Nasher, I must be missing something as I didn't see much difference. Like you I don't do any social media, so I'm probably not the best at judging the way sites operate or spotting any difference.
Pictures embedded within the text looks better and is a feature I would like to see, without having to go through a picture hosting site. But apart from that, what else was different?
Does it operate more like a chat site, ie: instant updates and replies?
Old 04 October 2023, 08:06   #63

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We’re going to see some friends this weekend, we haven’t seen them since late last year, minimal comms in between, we send the occasional WhatsApp etc but that’s it. When we meet up, it’ll be like we’ve never been apart, we’ll just pickup where we left off. No guilt on either side about the radio silence.
My point, Ribnet is that old friend that you say hello to as & when. It isn’t FB/Twatter (or whatever it refers to itself these days). People have become accustomed to the constant, inane stream of shite that seems to fill Social Media. If they don’t see Ribnet pop up in their notifications a dozen times a day, then it must be “Dead”.
Ribnet is generally a one trick pony, in that, generally it only covers one subject, it’s niche. We don’t do kittens, latest grandkids, call each other “hun” or “like” each other
Long May it last, in whatever new outfit it’s dressed up in.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2023, 08:33   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Nasher, I must be missing something as I didn't see much difference. Like you I don't do any social media, so I'm probably not the best at judging the way sites operate or spotting any difference.
Pictures embedded within the text looks better and is a feature I would like to see, without having to go through a picture hosting site. But apart from that, what else was different?
Does it operate more like a chat site, ie: instant updates and replies?
The pictures embedded without a hosting site is the big one, but to me the format feels fresher and easier to use.

The front page looks more professional and 'Managed' with trending threads etc.
https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/
I think this is what attracts the commercial uses to invest in it.

The controversial thing is the Like, Agree etc buttons.
I like them because it keeps some threads a bit cleaner and keeps the number of off-topic posts down.

It is also free to use if required, but with some payed for upgrades.
However the free Halfords trade discount card available if you subscribe for just one year have saved me a lot over the years.
Old 04 October 2023, 08:45   #65

I suppose it's each to their own. I find the Ribnet site easy and very intuitive to use. I think some of the threads could be updated quicker, but I presume that is more to do with the speed of the server.

However, please, please let's not go down the "like" route.
I can just imagine some of the sh1t that would be posted by some members just to get "likes"

If you agree, please use the like button below......... Opps!
Old 04 October 2023, 09:12   #66

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I find Tapatalk a much easier way of using Ribnet.
Old 04 October 2023, 09:32   #67

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
I've been on/off browsing here for maybe 15 years or more and I remember when it used to be much busier, though thats a common theme across forums/message boards in general.

I do think this place would benefit from some improvement though. It's not great on the higher res monitors that are common these days and it doesn't utilise much of the space available, leaving content very narrow. It doesn't work well on mobile browsers either. The vBulletin build is 10+ years old and there have been a lot of optimisations since then.

A dark theme would be nice and it would be great to have dedicated image hosting instead only using of off-site URL embeds.
Adding social sign-ups as a registration option would really streamline the new user process and improve security, recovery etc.

There's some other basic things like meta descriptions needing work and favicons missing that could improve the appearance and ranking of the site too.
Old 04 October 2023, 10:53   #68

A lot of that went straight over my head User name, but I'm sure I'd agree with it.
Old 04 October 2023, 11:00   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasher View Post
a lot of that went straight over my head user name, but i'm sure i'd agree with it.:d
+ 1
Old 04 October 2023, 11:40   #70

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
A lot of that went straight over my head User name, but I'm sure I'd agree with it.
Yeah, maybe that sounds a bit overly technical, but here's just a quick UI example of a screenshot from a modern laptop screen.

How it is now,

How I use it.

That's just a few examples of UI stuff that make it nicer to use. It doesn't address functional issues like the image hosting and how well the site responds to mobile browsers and so on.
Old 04 October 2023, 18:06   #71

Town: Vancouver, BC
Boat name: Race Curtains
Make: Highfield
Engine: Yamaha 115 Outboard
This seems like a lively discussion on if the website is finished. Ergo, not finished.
Old 04 October 2023, 18:35   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerfoo View Post
This seems like a lively discussion on if the website is finished. Ergo, not finished.

Tags
rib