Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 23 August 2024, 15:58   #1

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Nice Medium Sized Power Station a a Reasonable price

I have been looking for a reasonably priced one that is not to huge to lug about but also has reasonable capacity and can charge from my Solar panels easily after the solar Charge Controller. and will be ok to carry about and possibly even in a small boat (It is not waterproof though s a bag would be needed)

I think for £195.00 I might have found just the thing

Here you go

Old 24 August 2024, 07:11   #2

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Looks like they were never designed for UK 13amp sockets. See if you can get inside easy and turn the 2 sockets upside down. If not it needs big feet!
Old 24 August 2024, 07:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Looks like they were never designed for UK 13amp sockets. See if you can get inside easy and turn the 2 sockets upside down. If not it needs big feet!
They are generally designed for the US and then they plop in UK Sockets. I have seen others that do the same. I can live with it though and all it needs is about 10mm of rubber feet on the bottom which I have laying around somewhere. For the money I paid it seems ok
Old 26 August 2024, 15:21   #4

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
It says power output 600w AC. So that says to me I could, say, just for the sake of argument, run a 50 inch TV off of it?

Does it say about efficiency anywhere in its literature? I mean, 1wh in gets 0.75wh out kind of thing?
Old 26 August 2024, 16:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croolis View Post
It says power output 600w AC. So that says to me I could, say, just for the sake of argument, run a 50 inch TV off of it?

Does it say about efficiency anywhere in its literature? I mean, 1wh in gets 0.75wh out kind of thing?
You can indeed run a reasonable sized TV from it. Couple it with a 130w solar panel and it would most likely power it for ages depending on the weather. Because it has so many outlets I am already using it to charge loads of my stuff
Old 26 August 2024, 19:49   #6

Have read inverters have a 15% loss when charging. Something to consider when charging from the mains. Portable lecky has a premium.
Old 27 August 2024, 04:52   #7

Quote:
Have read inverters have a 15% loss when charging. Something to consider when charging from the mains. Portable lecky has a premium.
Not if you are charging the power station from a solar panel. All free and gratis
Old 27 August 2024, 06:35   #8
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
[Poly-mode]If you are factoring for power loss but ignoring the appliance capital cost, then you may wish to consider an extra variable - the smart meter - changing in the small hours and boosting devices in the field on the cheap[/Poly-mode]
Old 27 August 2024, 07:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
[Poly-mode]If you are factoring for power loss but ignoring the appliance capital cost, then you may wish to consider an extra variable - the smart meter - changing in the small hours and boosting devices in the field on the cheap[/Poly-mode]
One of the reasons I'm avoiding getting a smart meter (EDF won't leave me alone about it). I don't trust them to not start charging through the roof during "peak demand". AFAIK, OFGEN has no plans to prevent them from doing that. I stand to be corrected though.

Shame, 'cos I like the idea of smart meters from the national grid management perspective, must be a very good idea. But I have no doubt energy sellers will just use it to fleece us even more.
Old 27 August 2024, 15:56   #10

There you go it was at 61% plugged it into the Vans cigar lighter connected to the Leisure battery and the solar Panel and up to 100% in no time at all. Very simple. and free. I am using this in the House at the moment to charge my many battery devices
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charged.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	146074