Old 26 July 2004, 07:15   #1

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Resizing photographs

Hello,

Could anyone who posts pictures on Ribnet let me know what software they use to resize their photos please?

I use Nikon view & have tried Paint Studio light, as recommended by JK, but my photos are either rejected as being too large, or come out very small on the thread if they are accepted (see Salcombe post). Could this be to do with the file size? I shoot in jpeg fine mode on the camera which is the highest quality jpeg setting.

I'm new to digital photography, so any advice would be gratefuly received.

Cheers.
Old 26 July 2004, 07:22   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Hi Ian,

We use Adobe Photoshop 4 (quite old!) which seems to work fine. See here for examples of pics taken with a Canon Powershot A40 and resized with Photoshop: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....light=alderney (our pics start with post 9).

HTH
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2004, 11:14   #3

Hi
Louise,

Thanks for the reply. I think I wil get a copy of Photoshop - hopefully that will do the trick.

BTW love the photos of the yellow rib in your link.

Cheers.

Ian
Old 26 July 2004, 11:20   #4

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Length: 5m +
Engine: I/B 3L
I use Paint Shop Pro for all my picture editing. However this is paid for software and not worth it if you just want to change the size of the image.

If your looking for a quick way of sizing several pictures then I would try somthing from the www.tucows.com multimedia section. Look for the freeware software in the image editors section.

It all depends if your resizing to a pixel size or a file size as to which software is better to use.
Old 26 July 2004, 11:40   #5

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
You could try Cam2PC which a nice little freeware program. Details at http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/index.php

Edit: Cancel that - it's not completely freeware (but well priced at 25 euros). The freeware version will do what you want it to i.e. re-size

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2004, 12:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQBoater
It all depends if your resizing to a pixel size or a file size as to which software is better to use.

Thanks for the advice. I don't really understand what I am doing wrong, but I think you may have mentioned the problem.

When I resize to JK's recommended pixel size the image is rejected because the file size is too large. I have to reduce the pixel size to the smallest option on my current software package in order to get the photos to load. The resulting photo is then very small. Do you think this is something to do with the file size (MB) of the original image? I shoot in jpeg fine mode, which is the highest resolution jpeg my camera offers. Can I change the file size to a lower resolution, & then resize the number of pixels to get a larger image on the posts?

Sorry if I am being a bit thick here, but I am new to digital photography & I am trying to run before I can walk, as usual...
Old 26 July 2004, 12:21   #7

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
John as added a free download for paint studio light in the picture gallary

just click on paint and it down loads for free and its very easy to use

try setting the camara to standard not fine and that should work when
resizng the shots
dan
Old 26 July 2004, 12:29   #8

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Length: 5m +
Engine: I/B 3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
Do you think this is something to do with the file size (MB) of the original image? I shoot in jpeg fine mode, which is the highest resolution jpeg my camera offers. Can I change the file size to a lower resolution, & then resize the number of pixels to get a larger image on the posts?
There should be an option some time when you save your image to alter the jpeg compression factor (this is what PSP calls it) this will affect the ratio between file size (mb) and picture size (pixels)
Altering this will affect the quality of the picture but not to any extent that the viewer will notice until you get to the 75%+ area.

Mine is set on 15% and looks to produce the required results.

File sizes on jpegs can also be affected by the picture subject. E.G. if you have a lot of blue sky in a frame then the file will be smaller than if the sky was full of clouds.
Old 26 July 2004, 19:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQBoater
If your looking for a quick way of sizing several pictures then I would try somthing from the www.tucows.com multimedia section. Look for the freeware software in the image editors section.

Thanks for al the advice. I have downloaded some freeware from tucows which appears to have done the job.

Cheers!