Old 06 May 2021, 17:42   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Talk to me about GoPro’s

Mrs P has a birthday coming up. She suggested if I was looking for something to get her (I wasn’t but she doesn’t normally provide suggestions - so I will take this as an instruction!) that she would quite like a GoPro type device...

Now I think she fancies this for use with her standup paddle board, maybe some snorkelling, perhaps even some Donnie inspired footage (she has a bit of a crush on the old guy!) and some mountain biking trips etc...

...I promise not to subject you all to hours of dull footage.

So what’s the recommendation with these things? Proper GoPro kit? Clones? 7/8/9/max

I suspect she quite fancies a drone although says she doesn’t! Are any likely to solve Christmas too by being good add one to a drone?
Old 06 May 2021, 18:39   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I'll be interested to see how this pans out.

There is a Facebook site for Boats and Drones.

Whilst there are still drones that are compatible with a GoPro, I think that the camera's on drones have improved so much that GoPro compatibility is very much the exception.
Old 06 May 2021, 19:02   #3

Make: Elling kB 350
I’ve done a little research myself over the last few days on GoPro. Seems to me that the hero 9 is the best one or pro max if you want 360 degree filming. I’m literally going to be placing an order tomorrow for the hero 9 and premium accessory kit it’s priced at £419 at slr hut. That package seems to have everything we need for the bikes, the sib and for a bit of diving. If you just want the camera I believe the GoPro website has the best deal at the moment. Hope this helps a little.
Old 06 May 2021, 19:55   #4

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Poly.. my thoughts are

If you google “best action camera 2021” (and I have done that for the past 6 years) .. the number one slot in ALL the review sites..EVERY year without fail is.... The Gopro. I appreciate some users swear by different brands ..but IMO the review sights are not far wrong

For my videos, I use a Gopro 6 and the karma gimbal for steady boat footage. I also use a Sony FDR AX 53 for Zoom shots and its on a tripod on firm ground. Very occasionally I will use it without a tripod but you can tell as the footage is shaky. Its no use for action shots though as its not waterproof or shockproof like the action cameras.

IMO The Gopro is ideal for the use you mention as its now waterproof without needing additional accessories. The Gopro 9 has great stabilisation and is almost as good as a gimbal held camera.

Personally when using the Gopro, I keep the Gopro on linear mode as Im no lover of the wide angle and distortion of its wide and ultra wide modes. It doesn’t bend the horizon as much in linear mode.

Drones ?

I have kept away from them simply because I used to fly scale R/C aircraft at competition level. As such, I know how vulnerable model flying objects are when controlled by human hands and aging eyesight. I know plenty of folks who have bought drones.. and lost them due to crash landings etc. I also don’t know anyone who has bought a drone and not lost one.

If I could get a drone guaranteed not to crash..I would consider it but even those DJI one costing well over 1K quid are lost.. so choice is yours ..

So saying.. as you may know .. I have lost expensive DSLR cameras when they fall in the sea too..so perhaps I should get a drone. My thoughts are they are good for variety of shots in a movie ..but not for the whole movie. My opinion only.

Hope that helps some
Old 06 May 2021, 19:57   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I asked similar perhaps 18mths ago... then lockdown removed any opportunity to trial it apart from cycling to the village shop with it on a handlebar clamp. Thought the image quality impressive and this was just with a bargain GoPro 3. Soon realised it was frustrating as that model didn't have a screen so tiny upgrade to a 4 with a rear screen.

They have moved on a fair bit since then mainly in the image stabilisation area so if thinking new it will be brilliant so I'd go for it without hesitation.

A silly small aspect I love is being able to operate and view its output on the smartphone.
Old 06 May 2021, 22:17   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
I would give a word of caution if buying a drone and check the CAA website on the matter, for weight rules changes and restrictions.
The rules have been updated recently and I believe are due to become even more strict in the future at least in part due to idiots giving sensible drone owners a bad name.

They can be great fun though and if used in the highlands keep an eye out for fighter jets that will block your signal and have your drone do a flyaway...never to be seen again
Old 07 May 2021, 06:25   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
They can be great fun though and if used in the highlands keep an eye out for fighter jets that will block your signal and have your drone do a flyaway...never to be seen again [/QUOTE]

.......Not if "Queen Nichola" gets her way!

I've a Go Pro I don't use (3 version I think) with accessories you could make start with Poly if you want it pm me and let me know...won't be expensive.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2021, 08:02   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
.......Not if "Queen Nichola" gets her way!
you really are keen to see how far JK will let you go aren't you?
Quote:
I've a Go Pro I don't use (3 version I think) with accessories you could make start with Poly if you want it pm me and let me know...won't be expensive.
If it was just for me I'd probably take you up on that. I once bought her a second-hand gift, and I'm not risking that again... if she divorces me it will be a lot more expensive than the latest go-pro!!!
Old 07 May 2021, 08:25   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
"Queen Nichola"
There's no Hrh in Nicola...
Old 07 May 2021, 08:59   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
I would give a word of caution if buying a drone and check the CAA website on the matter, for weight rules changes and restrictions.
The rules have been updated recently and I believe are due to become even more strict in the future at least in part due to idiots giving sensible drone owners a bad name.

They can be great fun though and if used in the highlands keep an eye out for fighter jets that will block your signal and have your drone do a flyaway...never to be seen again
Thanks - the drone would definitely not be right now, more trying to avoid buying something today and discovering it doesn't work for a drone in the future - but sounds like bolting a go-pro to a drone is no longer mainstream. I'm familiar with the CAA rules and actually think they are good - as whilst I like the footage they can be as irritating as a jetski in the wrong hands! Didn't know about the fighter jet issue - but have to say its years since I've actually seen a jet when I've been out and about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
IMO The Gopro is ideal for the use you mention as its now waterproof without needing additional accessories. The Gopro 9 has great stabilisation and is almost as good as a gimbal held camera.
Very helpful answer indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
There is a Facebook site for Boats and Drones.
Oh no. I'll be really popular there - "hey, I'm new, tell me about drones for boating" - its totally the wrong platform for that sort of thing where searchable posts would be good. Perfect for transient stuff like - I'm going boating this weekend, anyone fancy filming it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
I’ve done a little research myself over the last few days on GoPro. Seems to me that the hero 9 is the best one or pro max if you want 360 degree filming. I’m literally going to be placing an order tomorrow for the hero 9 and premium accessory kit it’s priced at £419 at slr hut. That package seems to have everything we need for the bikes, the sib and for a bit of diving. If you just want the camera I believe the GoPro website has the best deal at the moment. Hope this helps a little.
I don't think she needs 360deg unless someone tells me I'm wrong. I've seen it used a few times and never felt compelled to go check out the costs of doing it...
Old 07 May 2021, 11:46   #11

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
you really are keen to see how far JK will let you go aren't you?

If it was just for me I'd probably take you up on that. I once bought her a second-hand gift, and I'm not risking that again... if she divorces me it will be a lot more expensive than the latest go-pro!!!

Better not take ANY chances! .....on either "front" Mate

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2021, 18:41   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Had a lot to do with GoPro at work yes they are good but I bought a isaw edge 4K comes with a full set of mounts I paid £70. for what I need the quality is superb depth rated to 30 m with the housing too.
Old 07 May 2021, 19:45   #13

Make: Elling kB 350
Just ordered the GoPro hero 9. If your in no rush to get one when it arrives the missus will give her verdict on it, as it’s for her and not for me. She will be using it on her mountain bike and on our new boat. I’ll let you know how she gets on with it.
Old 07 May 2021, 21:59   #14

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Hi Poly.. my thoughts are

If you google “best action camera 2021” (and I have done that for the past 6 years) .. the number one slot in ALL the review sites..EVERY year without fail is.... The Gopro. I appreciate some users swear by different brands ..but IMO the review sights are not far wrong

For my videos, I use a Gopro 6 and the karma gimbal for steady boat footage. I also use a Sony FDR AX 53 for Zoom shots and its on a tripod on firm ground. Very occasionally I will use it without a tripod but you can tell as the footage is shaky. Its no use for action shots though as its not waterproof or shockproof like the action cameras.

Personally when using the Gopro, I keep the Gopro on linear mode as Im no lover of the wide angle and distortion of its wide and ultra wide modes. It doesn’t bend the horizon as much in linear mode.

Drones ?

I have kept away from them simply because I used to fly scale R/C aircraft at competition level. As such, I know how vulnerable model flying objects are when controlled by human hands and aging eyesight. I know plenty of folks who have bought drones.. and lost them due to crash landings etc. I also don’t know anyone who has bought a drone and not lost one.

If I could get a drone guaranteed not to crash..I would consider it but even those DJI one costing well over 1K quid are lost.. so choice is yours ..

So saying.. as you may know .. I have lost expensive DSLR cameras when they fall in the sea too..so perhaps I should get a drone. My thoughts are they are good for variety of shots in a movie ..but not for the whole movie. My opinion only.

Hope that helps some

Agreed GoPro is hard to beat overall for anyone that uses it a lot. For occasional use cheapo fakes have their place. Re drones, honestly the DJI offerings would take a bit of effort to crash. Those things are so smart add a smattering of common sense and they’d add quite a thing to what are already great films you make with with minimum risk. Only real downside is they really need a ‘pilot’ and subject and hard to do both. Not impossible though.
Old 09 May 2021, 05:39   #15

Town: Hamble
Length: no boat
Engine: Bigger the Better!
Lucky Mrs P !!!

My Ex bought me a vacuum cleaner one year!

MGx
Old 09 May 2021, 08:43   #16

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Guided View Post
Lucky Mrs P !!!

My Ex bought me a vacuum cleaner one year!

MGx
I've heard of them.

How do you get along with it?
Old 09 May 2021, 10:23   #17
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Obviously the dangers of a used GoPro as a present have been discussed but for anyone else wondering the older GoPro models are amazing value getting the majority of the result for a fraction of the price. You can often get a full outfit of camera, batteries, cases, mounts, selfie pole etc for under £100. It'll soon give an idea if you like the action cam concept and feel of the GoPro brand in particular.